News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full Distance / Known Distance Events

Started by Topgear, January 05, 2013, 11:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topgear

Are there any full distance / known distance events here in Illinois?  I'd even look in Southern WI, Western IN, or Eastern IA if they were available.  I just think it would be nice to have the chance to work out a full distance to make the adjustments.

Of course, this all depends on if the AWB(s) get passed or if centerfire ammo ever comes back down to a price that doesn't make it seem like we're shooting golden bullets.  I saw one deal today that listed $900 for 1000 rounds of .223.  Some deal! !@#)

Kent
The whole body suffers for what the dumb mind does.

Mutti

Look to CMP for the ammo : 1300 rds = $570 dollars - http://www.odcmp.com/

I suggest getting on their mailing list  ;)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

2 clicks low

They have KD at Racine WI from time to time. Check with Colycat, JoeZ or Triggernick.
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Topgear

Quote from: Mutti on January 06, 2013, 12:11:02 AM
Look to CMP for the ammo : 1300 rds = $570 dollars - http://www.odcmp.com/

I suggest getting on their mailing list  ;)

Not sure when you last looked but that appears to be all gone now too.  I'm on their mailing list.  That Hornady ammo wasn't a spectacular deal before at .43/round +shipping but it sure turned into a sweet "deal" in a hurry lately.  Thanks!

Kent

Topgear

Quote from: 2 clicks low on January 06, 2013, 01:28:29 AM
They have KD at Racine WI from time to time. Check with Colycat, JoeZ or Triggernick.
2cl

Will do.  Thanks!

Kent

SPQR

Indiana does known distance events at a couple locations, including Camp Atterbury Joint Maneuver Training Center near Indy.  I think our first shoot is an instructor qualification but public shoots will be posted before the end of this month I believe.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

fepowered

5.45x39 seems to be a good option out to at least 400 yds.  With a 200 yd zero, you need to come up about 10 minutes to 400 and 14ish at 450.  I have no info at 500.   
It is only ~$150 for 1080 rounds on sale.  A complete upper is still available for around $600.  A person could get $2K rounds and an upper for what $1K 5.56 is running on Gunbroker.  You can always swap the bolt and barrel out later if the availability of 5.56 comes back after this summer.  I am still finding 5.56 for $.50 a round locally but it will not last. 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."