News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Buckeye, AZ. NOV 20-21, 2010

Started by AZOpie, November 19, 2010, 12:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

hoping to see pictures of AZAce receiving his Rifleman patch this weekend...... git-r-dun!!!
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

AZOpie

It was a beautiful first day at the Joe Foss Shooting Complex; partly cloudy in the morning with a bit of chill in the air (don't think I don't hear all of you from the northern states snickering   **)). We had 26 shooters come out to brave the elements in Arizona, a bone chilling 55 degrees Fahrenheit at 8:30 this morning, peaking in the mid seventies.

Of these 26 patriotic Americans, 1 new Riflewoman emerged today - Faith! She shot a 210 and was doused by her husband - another of our instructors - Azbinary. Faith has also stepped up and accepted the orange hat after volunteering to assist with registrations at many events in the past. In addition we had 3 repeat offenders Mike (237) and Nathan (223) from here in the valley, and our border raiding sister from California - AQT Monster (216).

The SCTP (junior shotgun) program came out and cooked lunch for all of us as a fundraiser for their very worthwhile program - a big thank you to all of them for putting that on. All of our shooters showed great improvement today, and Sunday looks to be another day filled with marksmanship and history, and likely additional Riflemen. For those that cannot return on Sunday I would like to say thank you for taking the time to spend your Saturday with us.

AZO

JustJeff

Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

AZbinary

An absolutely fine AZ day!  Congratulations to our two new red hats, and to my sainted bride for her rifleman's patch and orange hat!

Buckeye is a beautiful facility, and it was a perfect day, I really enjoyed meeting all the great people.

Photos and short video can be found here http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab197/mnseitz/Appleseed%2020%20Nov%2010%20Buckeye/

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

JustJeff

Quote from: AZbinary on November 21, 2010, 01:10:42 PM
An absolutely fine AZ day!  Congratulations to our two new red hats, and to my sainted bride for her rifleman's patch and orange hat!

Buckeye is a beautiful facility, and it was a perfect day, I really enjoyed meeting all the great people.

Photos and short video can be found here http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab197/mnseitz/Appleseed%2020%20Nov%2010%20Buckeye/

O0 :bow:

AZOpie

Awesome! Sunday brought us 3 additional Riflemen - all new!

Bob shot 215
Rich shot 210 and was doused by his wife (who is persisting and will soon shoot the Riflewoman score)
Doran shot 224

..:.. Congratulations!!!! ..:..

I missed one other repeat Rifleman on Saturday - Chuck (CAMartino below) shot a 232!

We were greeted by winds in the 10 - 20 MPH range throughout the day, and a couple hours of rain starting during lunch.

I, too, would like to extend my congratulations to our two new Arizona red hats - MTProgrammer and Trekker! AZ has now reached an all time record for red hats on staff  ^:)^

Thanks again to all who shared their weekend with us on the range. I will post pictures soon, and anyone else that has any - please post them here.

AZO

CAMartino

Lead, Follow or get out of the way!
Tolerance is neither a Virtue, nor a Fruit of the Spirit. Therefore I refuse to participate in it's perpetuation!

Johnnyappleseed

Looks good Arizona O0
Congratulations to new Rifleman / welcome aboard New IIT
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Kaiser Leib

Compliments to AZOpie for his adept leadership. This was an extremely smooth shoot, and well-equipped, too. Further compliments to Trekker, whose first strike deserves as many compliments as it received, and to the entire instructor corps and all the shooters for such cross-the-board marksmanship improvement. Congratulations, of course, to our 4 new riflemen!

I don't know about the rest of you, but that's the best weather I've ever seen at an Appleseed, even with the wrath of the rain gods on Sunday.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

lysander6

Shoot Boss: lysander6
RH:  AZ Opie (SBIT #2)
IIT: MTProgrammer and Trekker (IIT3) Newguy556, AZBinary & Minerva (IIT2) Brasschucker (IIT0)
Riflemen:   5!
Scores: 224, 216, 215, 210 and 210
Repeat Riflemen (Previous Riflemen from other AS events):  4
Scores: 227, 232, 223 and 216
Knocking on the door: 4 (195-208)
New IIT:   Faith accepted the Orange Hat
Promotion:  7/ 1x SB (!), 2x RH (!), 3x IIT3 and 1x IIT1

Weather:  Perfect both days.  Blustery conditions with gusts to 20 knots on SUN and the rain Gods visited for a few hours on SUN but riflemen persist.  Very odd weather for our environs.

Another great shoot with great Americans who took a weekend out of their busy lives to improve their marksmanship skills and hear THE story.  It just never gets old.  I made new friends and met veteran AS shooters who I have shared the line with before.  What a wonder that we never have trouble filling our lines.  This was the most pleasant Buckeye shoot ever weather-wise.  On occasion, I have felt like I was with Lawrence of Arabia on the Iron Pan on the road to Aqaba but this weekend was most refreshing.  Our Winterseeds are very comfortable.  Some of the improvements were 125 points plus!

A special mention of AZBinary's sainted bride (Faith [who made Rifleman with a 210!]) and Minerva who helped with the admin stuff.  With eight instructors on the line, lots of individual coaching took place as reflected in the Rifleman count we got from both new and veteran AS attendees.  This shoot literally doubled our full instructor staff in the entire state by SUN after promotions.  Most rifles were .22 but we did have 7x AR platforms and one AK on the line.  Quite loud.

During lunch on Saturday, Trekker delivered what is arguably the best First Strike story we have heard yet.  Next time we will record it but it is THE standard for the narrative.  AZBinary and MTProgrammer acquitted themselves with élan in the sharing of the next two Strikes discussing the actions of "organizations whose name we cannot say", starts with an M and ends with an A.  I would love to field promote AZBinary to Full Instructor now.

Two of our Riflemen were doused with North Bridge water for their 210 scores.  

I could not have asked for a better IIT crew.  They never faltered and always maintained the professional demeanor that makes us so unique.  AZOpie is a fine new Shoot Boss and will be a credit to the program.  The 2x new Red Hat cadre are extraordinarily talented.

On SUN, the delightful father/ daughter team of Brass Chucker and AQT Monster started running safety and coaching shooters.  

They are from behind enemy lines in CA and we welcomed their help.  Both are very talented shooters and AQT Monster is only 15. A credit to her generation...

Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

AZOpie

Photos from this weekend...