News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bristol, WISCONSIN, 10-30-31-2010

Started by colycat, October 31, 2010, 10:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colycat

Unbelievable!  The shoot was in WI, but not one shooter came from the land of cheese and milk.  But thats OK, as we had a great group of IL representatives, who did their state proud.

I would like to thank our host range, The Conservation Club of Kenosha.  They were the perfect hosts as usual.

We had 14 shooters on the line for Saturday and all the registered shooters returned for Sunday.  Outstanding.

Four rifleman and 2 new orange hats.

I will get to the details later, as I just got home, but wanted to get this thread started so others can chime in.

Thanks to everyone who got off the couch and started on the road to becoming a Rifleman.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

dizzSR22

Colycat,

Thank you again it the shoot was a lot of fun. I think I found a new hobbies I can put some money into. i think i have some pictures on my phone I will try to post them later.

DizzSR22 

Gumballhead

Wow!

What a great weekend!  Glad to see I was followed 'nort of the cheddar curtain by my IL Countrymen (and woman!).  As Coly said, we had a GREAT group of students this weekend.  The weather started a bit chilly (and frosty on Sunday), but soon warmed up to a bright and sunny skies for us both days.  I continue to be impressed with the ability of our students to quickly absorb and implement the instruction so quickly.  You guys are the reason I keep coming out, and I'm continually refreshed by the fact Americans care about what is happening to the SS America, and want to come learn more about our shared heritage, and help bail!!

Congratulations to our 4 new rifleman: Clint, Mike, Ross, and Brad!  ^:)^ ^:)^  I've seen you all before on the line, and I am glad to see you all persisted, and practiced to finally shoot rifleman!  Mike, it was magic to watch you work that bolt (add to that the perfect score, yes PERFECT100 on stage 4!!! :---).

It was also great to see some friendly competition on the line.    >:D

Everett, you've made some really good progress since we saw you last in June.  I'm sure you'll be wearing a rifleman's patch before to long to join the rest of your family :).

Marion and Kent.  You guys were great!  Your stage 4 scores were awesome!  Great NPOA shifting!  I hope we see you again somewhere on the trail!

Clint and company - wow.  Talk about 7th stepping...Clint brought 4 friends with him to the line.  You guys did a superb job, and kept us chuckling throughout the weekend!  ^:)^

Finally, congrats to Keystone and Clint for stepping up and taking Orange hats!!

I've got a few pics to put up now, but will have to wait til I get home to upload the rest.  Especially our special orange apple!  %)

More to follow, but great times had by all, sad to see it end, and the real world return so quickly Monday Morning.

koko

Colycat, Gumballhead, and George:

Thanks for your efforts in running this great Appleseed shoot this past weekend.  As usual, every instructor provided that little bit more of knowledge, advice, and encouragement that helped me improve my shooting.  Your time, interest, and passion, added to that of previous shoot instructors (Bristol, WI June 26-27: Gopherboy, Deacon, Dangerous Old Man, Patriot Girl, Castle Mountain, Gumballhead, and Robvious; and Hubertus, WI Sept 25: JoeZ and Muskyjerk) are what make the difference in shooters off the street becoming American Riflemen. The new Rifleman patch may go on my shoulder, but that accomplishment is the result of the solid foundations built by all of you dedicated Appleseed instructors -- thanks again for your patriotism and generosity.

The 130 yard gong ringing with 22LR was a confidence-building affirmation of the skills being taught, and the flintlock rifle demonstration was an unexpected and enlightening insight into the challenges that our American ancestors mastered to become Riflemen.  And Wisconsin pumpkins don't last very long on Halloween when it falls on day 2 of an Appleseed shoot, do they?

Again, great job on a well-run shoot!

...Mike

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

colycat

Oh man, this is really disappointing.  Only 1 student has replied.  Makes me think We did a crappy job on this great program. :'( :'( :'(

Where are:
Tom
Robert
Micheal
Devin
Tom
Kent
Mari
Clint
Ethan
Mike
Brad
Ross
Robert
Patrick
Everett
Brad
Robert
Frank,  I love that name

Are you all still thinking about the past weekend?  You know all your friends are only thinking about the foot ball game :P
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Gumballhead

OK - here are some more pictures!  As mentioned, we had a great demo provided to us from a club member with his flintlock rifle.  Additionally, some orange apples  %) made their appearance.  We got to really see a pumpkin on a post!

Enjoy...

Gumballhead

EEL

Hey Coly & Gumby....where y'all shooting?  That doesn't look like the usual spot.  Rather picturesque too ;D

I do miss getting to Bristol.  What a cool place to have a shoot.  Looks like you guys did well....again.  If I can ever get enough SBs here in Illinois (hint Gumby) I will venture back across the Cheddar Curtain again.

Nice work guys!

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Gumballhead

Same place...less green due to the time of year.  Man that place sure grows thick and green in the summer months!!  The flintlock demo was at the 130 yd "wilderness" range adjacent to where we're set up.

colycat

Mari,

I think you have some pics to post. Post at least one of you and your hubby.  Or post some more along with your comments of the weekend.

Phoenix Man aka Clint

I'm a little slow, but once all the stuff I have been taught, especially NPOA, settled in it does work.  Finally shot Rifleman Sunday (twice).  I have even figured out how to post.

In all seriousness, I have had so much help with this and it has been such a great experience.  Nicest bunch of people you could ask for.   :---

Thanks a lot--Phoenix Man aka Clint

Cooper

Congratulations!

It required eight days of Appleseeding before I managed to unlearn, re-equip, relearn and relax into the sling before it came together for me.  I am always amazed (and envious) when yet another newbie steps to the line and shoots Rifleman on their first try... and then I realize that they have already learned humility, or else they will learn it very soon.

Congratulations!
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge