News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How I've been able to get ranges to sign on

Started by ItsanSKS, September 30, 2009, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

First a little background-  I'm the State Coordinator for Florida, and have been working closely with the Florida Instructor Corps for about a year now.  In that time, I have approached 3 ranges, and been successful at all three.  I'll tell you right now, that it weren't luck that got me in-  there is a lot of homework that needs to be done prior to asking about hosting an event.

So lets start with your homework assignment, shall we?

Step number 1:  Find the ranges nearest major population centers.    Google is your friend- instead of using city names in your search, use the county, instead-  IE: "Hillsborough Rifle Range"  (Tampa is located in Hillsborough County) If you can't find any ranges for the counties in question, start working your way outward, focusing on those counties with major highways/expressways in them. 

Step number 2: Evaluate the range for suitability.  Preferably outdoors, with multiple firing lines.  (ranges with only one firing line are not likely to shut it down for a whole weekend)  There are other posts devoted to what makes up a 'suitable' Appleseed range, so check there if you have any questions.  Google will help you with this aspect, as well- using google maps, you can switch to "satellite view" and get a birds-eye view of the range.  This will allow you to determine number of firing lines, relative size of parking, and other pertinent info.  If nothing else, you can use this to triage the ranges- if there a few ranges in the area, and you don't have the time to visit each one, pick the one that looks best from above.

Step number 3:  Find out if there is an online presence surrounding the range selected in number 2 above.  Do this, again, by using google.  many times you can find forum posts referencing the range, and you might be able to get a feel on how things are run there, without ever leaving your home.  Pay close attention to any posts that reference safety infractions, or anything that would lead you to believe that the range is typically lackadaisical when it comes to range safety- this is a strong selling point for Appleseed, especially when there is an ongoing problem with unsafe conditions. 

Step number 4: Once you have an idea that a particular range may be suitable for an AS, its time for some recon.  Grab your favorite rifle, a few hundred rounds of ammo, and head to the range.  Don't talk about AS with anyone, don't bring fliers, or anything else AS related.  This is simply recon time- bring a notebook to record pertinent info, such as number of firing lines, fixed/movable benches, number of shooting positions at distances greater than 25m, (figure 3-4' per shooter) number of shooting positions for 25m, max range, and approximate spaces for parking.  (having room for 200 shooters doesn't work if there is only room to park 25-30 vehicles!)  Be sure to locate the restrooms, sources of potable water, and shade, if the firing line isn't covered.  Get to know the R.O.'s;  ask them how good the members shoot, what kind of classes are offered through the range, if there is anything promoting responsible rifle marksmanship with a family-oriented approach. 

Step number 5:  If, after your recon trip shows that the range in question is indeed suitable for an AS, you need to become a member.  Very rarely will a Board of Directors consider hosting an event, unless it is presented by a member.  If you live too far away to commit to a membership, try to find a local involved in the program that can take up the torch- your state Appleseed forum is a great place to discuss this. 

Step number 6:  making AS known to the club.  *Don't* just randomly ask board members to host an Appleseed- you will want a measured, thoughtful approach.  Ask for the club schedule;  find open weekends in the schedule, and then confirm that they are empty.  Best to look 3-4 months ahead, though circumstances may allow the process to move faster.  Once you've got a good idea what dates will work for the club, find out who the board members are, and call them.  Tell them, individually, about Appleseed- who we are, what we are about(and what we're not about) and that we would like them to consider hosting an event.  Call ALL of the board members.  (including the treasurer!)  Stress the fact that we are a family-oriented non-profit organization made up of highly motivated volunteers.  Explain that we are always attracting new attendees to our events, and our attendees are more likely to shoot on a regular basis, are more likely to purchase memberships, and are more likely to help out with the day-to-day needs of the range, such as clean up/clubhouse repair & maintenance.  You will invariably get a "I need to discuss it with the other members of the BOD, and we will have to put it before the membership".  This is good!  Ask them if you could have 10-15 minutes to present Appleseed at the next BOD/membership meeting. 

Preparation for this aspect is key- When/if you get an opportunity to speak to the BOD, be sure to KNOW THEIR NAMES.  I cannot stress this enough- it just flat out WORKS.  Try to find out what buttons will be best to push- some ranges are hurting for money, while others have so many members, they couldn't even think of taking on more.  Most ranges have no program for the instruction on the proper usage of a rifle, leading to 'plinkers'.  Make sure the BOD is familiar with the quality of instruction presented at an Appleseed, tell them about our Liability insurance, and then ask if they would be willing to attend an event at a different location, simply to observe how it is done, first hand.  Be sure to have reference letters from the other ranges in your state.  Have the contact info for the other ranges, in case the BOD has questions for them.  If you discovered safety issues during your recon stage, mention them now, and inform them that Appleseed has the answer: the club R.O's can become AS instructors, and they will have a deeper understanding of how to safely and effectively run a firing line, minimizing potential hazards.  Once you've made it this far, congratulations- you have done everything you can, and the rest is in the hands of the members and club officers.

Well, that's it-  how I've successfully gotten three ranges to agree to holding an AS event.  If you have any questions on the specifics, shoot me a PM. 

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Fred

Excellent addition to our "knowledge bank" of "how to get new Appleseed sites"!

Ties in well with http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=510.0 - in fact, fills in the gaps in that list of suggestions.

You might also think of planting the notion in the board's mind that "Appleseed is not a fly-by-night outfit" - that if they like what they see at the Appleseed - and so far, everyone has - we'd like to suggest at least one other later in the year - more if they have the room on their range schedule - and we'd like to ask for volunteers from any of their members attending to become trained as instructors - which would give them not only "in house" instructional capability, but also, willy-nilly more RSOs (every RWVA instructor is an RSO as a matter of course).

So, there's likely a long-term commitment or partnership potential, with both parties benefiting.

A suggestion of the 'partnership' aspect of this - they supply the range, we supply the program - the instructors, targets, most of the students - along with the notion the event success can be greatly magnified if they'll help "get the word out", locally - starting with beating the drum for their own members.

Of course, what will help that is if one or more has attended a nearby AS and come back "filled with the spirit of Appleseed"... :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

CortJestir

Right on! Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down, 'SKS. I'll be sure to put them to good use.  O0 :~
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

jimbtv

SKS, that was an excellent job of detailing your successes. Thanks!!!  O0

Now if we can only get more like you doing the same thing in their state. I'm doing it here, and have been for about 6 months now.

Appalacious

I'd love some insight from anyone who has gone down this road with a state owned range.  The one I'm pursuing is connected to a wildllife mgmt area.
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

Earl

While I have been working on getting up to Shootboss speed I was thinking of the local ranges that I haven't used, but I know people that are shooting at them, and thinking that I should look into seeing if they would be suitable, interested and then lining some up. I live in population centers but the country isn't far, and we need some solid ranges closer to my home - the travel is eating up what is left of my life - worthy cause but there is only so much left.

This post seems right on the way I was going to try, but I am terrible with names, so I will have to work on improving that before meeting a board. Thanks for the work and the ideas.

I am going to be in Florida, Palm Coast, Friday thru Sunday for family, my brother-in-laws memorial. I will be watching the forum.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

jimbtv

I sell electronic communication systems into health care facilities and the sales cycle time (from first contact to a purchase order) averages about 2 years. As you can see there is a commitment to regular contact, impeccable follow-up, with an emphasis on establishing personal relationships.

I am in the process of signing on a range up here in northern Vermont and I have been working the range for about 6 months now. I began by spending the $50 dollars to become a member, then I started to get to know the board members. Board members at ranges usually hang around the ranges a lot. I began to casually discussing Appleseed with individual members and over several months, with several contacts and conversations under my belt, I asked if I could make a formal presentation to the board. By the time I did my presentation I already had a good feel for how the decision would come down, mainly because I had received favorable responses from the board members individually. A good salesperson "directs" the sale and leaves very little to chance.

My point here is that the "sale" is rarely closed at the presentation, but more likely closed before you do the presentation. Sure, there have been times when I walked into a hospital for the first time, told them who I was and what I did, and they wrote me a purchase order before I left. But that is a one-in-a-million shot. Good salespeople set the stage for success by working a facility long before they do a formal pitch on the product.

Early on the sales person has to establish the identity of the "decision-makers", and do everything they can to get in front of them. I can pitch my wares all day to minor players but it is all for nothing if they have no say in the final decision. So I move into a facility, start hanging around, ask a lot of questions, and eventually work my way into their cycle of doing business. While I may pitch low-level players, I'm constantly working to get that nugget of information that will aid me in getting some time with the real decision-maker(s).

Working a range is the same to me as working a hospital. Thinking that I could show up at a range, do a single presentation and walk away with an Appleseed contract is about as realistic as doing a cold call into a hospital and walking out with a purchase order. Sales at this level is as much about relationships as it is about the product, and even the best product is hard to sell during your first contact.

Everyone has to become a salesperson (pitchman) when they make a pitch, and if you are not confident in your presentation skills, and knowledge of the product, the odds are against you going in. Expert knowledge of the product is of little use if you cannot convince the decision-makers of the value.

The problem with a failed presentation is that it may be a long time before you can get to make the presentation again. Once I lose a hospital it may be 10 years or more before I can start working it again. Therefore I work very hard to insure that when the time comes to present my products and services to the decision-makers, I am already in a favored position. If I haven't set the table for success, so to speak, I won't press for a presentation. It's all about controlling the process.

Successful sales strategies starts long before asking for the order.

Earl

Hooking up with a range by joining does two positive things, once a member you get to shoot - remember when you once shot at Appleseeds, wasn't that fun? Yes, but then you moved on to safe the line, coach and instruct and demonstrate, talk targets and adjust sights, rifles and attitudes to produce riflemen. But once you join a range you get to shoot - and practice all that good stuff that pours out of you. I heard from one of our instructors how his improvement in his competition shooting after Appleseeds changed the perceptions of people he was shooting with about what we teach.  Again, building a trust and a relationship with a RWVA member.

The second thing that happens that is good is building that safe sane shooting community. I know that the Rifleman, target and rifle are not a crew served operation - but to get the America I remember and love back on course and no longer sinking that community building is essential. You need to talk to the guy that picks up all the brass some shooters no longer want, he reloads and has his own stories, and he talks to the guys that repair the overhead cover and rebuild the target frames, and they all talk to the big guys that go out and get County (Fish and Game and police) State (Fish and Game and regional shooting organizations) National organizations and their attentions. Yeah, the local range and find the leaders and movers in local area, become their shooting partners and help them out, they will be ready to help you out. 
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.