News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Advice on "HOW2" Get a Club to Approve Hosting an Appleseed

Started by Fred, July 23, 2007, 10:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

We are on the cusp of it being an RWVA Appleseed market, and not a host market. I've said it before, looked forward to it, anticipated it.

And I think we are close to it. If not in 2008, for sure in 2009.

But I believe 2008 will be the turnpoint year.

We have a good program.

A worthy program.

And, now, a program with a record of accomplishment.

Starting from scratch.

With nothing but a mission.

Last year, we ran 18 Appleseeds - and one Boot Camp.

This year, we have 43 scheduled, of which we've already done 24 - and 8 Boot Camps, of which two have been held.

And, now, 42 completed Appleseeds later, having trained nearly two thousand Appleseeders, and working hard on the third thousand, we have something solid we can point to.

And we should use that fact. Use it to gain the respect of others.

And not be shy about it, or hesitant...

MORE than 100% growth since last year.

BUT we need MORE than 100% growth for NEXT year, 2008.

We want to have 100+ Appleseeds scheduled for next year.

I believe we already have 70-80 'in the bag'.

So we only need 20-30 more.

And we can use your help on those remaining open slots.

Now, let's talk a bit about how you recruit a new host club.

Understand in advance it's not as simple as walking up to a club member, or a board member, or appearing at a board meeting, and simply asking.

You are going to have to sell the program - explain what it is, why it would be good for the club, and good for the Cause.

So here's the plan, simple and precise, just like you would find things on the Appleseed Trail.

1. Don't even think about it, unless you are a club member.

So if you are not a member, join the club. If you are a member - or once you are a member - make friends.

That requires nothing more than a friendly greeting to others, maybe a brief introduction - plus volunteering, in a modest way (not overanxious) to help out at the club.

2. Once you have a few 'friends', ask them to shoot the AQT with you. Develop a regular shooting group, and begin to shoot the AQT on a regular basis.

3. When you have three or four people shooting the AQT (or more, of course), invite a board member to come and watch. Then invite him to shoot it. Invite as many board members as you can get to come.

4. Then start lobbying for a regular club-sanctioned AQT shoot. You'll want your AQT shooters to come to a membership meeting with you - or to a board meeting (preferable), to present the case. If you've done your homework, you'll not only be a 'group of members' (a group tends to get listened to more than a single member), but you should have some allies already on the board. (An alternative strategy if you recruit one or more board members is to 'work behind the scenes' by asking him to broach the idea to the board for you for an informal test of the waters.)

5. Once you get approval, start to talk about the national program, and how you think there might be a chance to get the national program to come to your club, with all the publicity, etc.

As you can tell by this multi-step plan, a plan which would take weeks, and prob months to bring to fruition, there's not much point in calling us up and telling us "there's a real great club down the road, would be perfect for an Appleseed, why don't you call and ask them?" We don't call and ask them because a 'cold call' would be a total waste of time.

If you want to help this program, if you want to make a contribution, invest the time to carry out the campaign outlined above.

Heck, you'll have a good feeling, when you see the Nationwide boys show up at your range - in fact, you'll be the Man of the Hour, the Guy Who Made it Happen. And you'll have some friends, some shooting buddies. And a 'rep' in the local club as a Mover and a Shaker.

Gee, that can't be too bad, can it?

You hear it said at every Appleseed.  Without you, this program will never be a success.

So, let's make it one.

Make it your mission.

[The above is suggested to attain max results. If you have a different suggestion that you've tried and it works, be sure to post it here for everyone to see...]
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

KY Gungeek

Fred:

Pretty much agree with you, but there's more.

First a little background on me.  I am member of the BoD from the Pistol Division of the Club where we are hosting the Lexington, KY event.  I was on the BoD before I heard of Appleseed.  We didn't have any trouble getting the program approved, and I think there is some critical information to help do that.

Remember that most clubs are VERY risk averse.  There are 2 reasons for this - demographics and the current anti-gun/liability climate we are in.  Let's face it most members in these clubs are older guys.  Younger guys just aren't taking up shooting.  Older people, in general, but not always of course, tend to be more risk averse.  As far as the anti-gun stuff, that's where your recent move to isolate Appleseed from some of the more activist factions is important.  These clubs DO NOT want to see themselves in the paper as training terrorists or militia.  This is where getting to know the club (and letting them get to know you) is important.  Most of these guys are hunters, not shooters.

Remember, early on tone down the 2nd amendment speeches and the "being prepared" for when the day comes discussions.  This will turn these guys away in a heartbeat.  Also, limit the amount of camo you wear.  I can tell you as an insider, a guy in lots of camo is viewed with suspicion.

OK having said that, there's another thing.  WIIFM.  What's In It For Me. Here's where you have to get to know the club a little.  Put the Appleseed skills in context of other things happening at the club.  At our club, we hit the following hard:

• Training - youth and others:  This is written into our constitution.  Any training especially free to young people is a moral high-road.
  • Support of hunting skills:  Lots of folks here hunt deer with iron sights.  Heck the average shot on a deer in this state is about 75 yards.  200 Yards is considered a LONG WAY.  Standing with a hasty sling is very much a hunting position.
  • Sports:  We have a developing High Power event.  Appleseed training is a great primmer for High Power.  Any club that has a developed NRA shooting program will see the value.

Here's a portion of some of the copy we are using:

==================
What Good Is That?

This is the perfect place for a beginner (young person or newbie) to start. Basic iron sight rifle marksmanship is the foundation for all other rifle sports.  It translates directly into the NRA style competitive shooting (i.e High Power, Small Bore, F Class), as well as game hunting.  The basics also support skills for more advanced long range shooting with a scope.
==================

Check it out at www.bgslinc.com and look for Appleseed Event announcements

Hope this helps!