News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP SANCTIONED Garand RIFLE CLINIC and MATCH in SOCAL

Started by fiveofnine, September 27, 2009, 01:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiveofnine

Is there any interest in a CMP SANCTIONED RIFLE CLINIC and or match in southern California?  If I can get enough interest, say 15 shooters, we can organize a clinis and or match.  This would give AS shooters and instructors some experience with the M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine and other foreign military rifles.  Even though there is overlap with AS, this is more rifle specific training.  This could be done at Piru or Dulzura.

The CMP offers a clinic program specifically designed to teach beginning and intermediate rifle marksmanship knowledge and skills to shooters who plan to participate in Garand, Springfield and Vintage Military Rifle or Rimfire Sporter Matches. This clinic program offers a five hour course of instruction with demonstrations and guided practice. For all sanctioned clinics that are taught by certified Master Instructors (I am one), the CMP also provides CMP Rifle Clinic Student Guides that can be used as a student text. These topics are taught in sanctioned clinics:

CMP History and Current Programs
   Safety and Range Procedures
   Rifle and Equipment
   Garand Match Course of Fire (or Rimfire Sporter)
   Technique of Firing Accurate Shots
   How to Teach the Prone, Sitting and Standing Positions
   Principles of Sight Adjustment 
   Rapid Fire Firing Techniques
   Shooting a Match, Pulling Targets 

Francis Marion

I'll help make this happen.  Garand clinics draw in HP and military surplus shooters who'd be great to introduce to AS during the course of events, and also good opportunity for AS shooters/instructors to apply what they've learned to service rifles.   

I see benefit for both sets of shooters, and their respective organizations, especially considering RWVA's CMP affiliation.

This is a chance to (informally) introduce competitive service rifle shooters to the heritage/marksmanship hybrid known as AS, and thereby stoke their fire to pass along rifle skill, which expands to its true value outside a gaming context. 

And if it's OK within Garand Clinic parameters, we may include a Heritage component, RW, WW2, Korea or otherwise. 

This is a good time for the AS program to meet and draw in some of our organized shooting peers, under CMP's aegis; where better than at a Garand clinic?   

Dano

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Camljr

Count me in...

I have a few Garands that need their barrels heated up!!! 

:~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~  PING!!!

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Jet Set

I'm out of the country most of the time, but if it scheduled when I am here, I'll be in.

socalserf

Quote from: Camljr on September 28, 2009, 02:42:19 AM
Count me in...

I have a few Garands that need their barrels heated up!!! 

:~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~  PING!!!

I'd love to get some trigger time to!
My Garand has been gathering dust for far too long.
Just one thing all my Greek/Korean Garand ammo attracts a magnet.
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."