News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Anyone Alive in Here????

Started by disneyd, September 23, 2009, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneyd

What's going on with the TN section? It's dead.

I just saw that a Maynardville, TN shoot is scheduled. I can probably help out with it if you need an extra hand. Anyone have any information on it? I'll contact Grasshopper.

Also interested in how the Lobelville shoot goes. I can't make that one but it's nice to see a few more TN shoots. Seems like TN has been lacking for shoots since I started paying attention... which doesn't make sense for the "patron state of shootin stuff".

Mostly just trying to stir up some activity in here.

Big Papa

There's plenty going on in TN. We have been a little slow in the TN section but that doesn't mean TN is slow! ;)
Lobelville was great! Where were you? October in Lobelville is about sold out. Sign up quick! Check out last weekend's AAR here,
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9672.0
Two weeks ago was Manchester and Puryear
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9386.0
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9439.0
Make it to one of the shoots and make a Rifleman's score if you haven't already.
Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

hawkhavn

disneyd,

I just looked, you have been signed onto the forum since April '08, how many flyers have you posted?  Talked to how many ranges about hosting a shoot?  You want to stir up some activity, get off the freakin' couch and grab a bucket!

Seven posts down from yours on the TN board is one from Slim, 'Local Promotion Efforts - What YOU can do to help'
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5762.0

I challenge you to get off the couch and DO something, there are 30 ideas listed there.  Congratulations, you shot Rifleman, grab a bigger bucket and get to work.  Can't figure out which bucket to grab, PM Big Papa I am sure he has a to do list about a yard long.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Fred

Well said, all. But it was me who suggested to disneyd that he post what he posted, to see if the Tennessee board could be livened up a bit.

TN being the "volunteer state", there's been precious little "volunteering" in the 4-yr life of Appleseed, making even KY look good (those should be fighting words, BTW - if I were in TN, I would be hopping mad, to be compared - negatively - to KY! :) )

So, let's see if we can gen up some interest in making TN an Appleseed state - if you don't, even poor NC will pass you by (more horrors! ;D)

You guys can do it. Here's the place, right here on this board, to make it happen.

And, disneyd, take a look at that promotions list and see if there's some ways you might help get-the-word-out!

Maybe we can recruit some more energetic Tennesseans - has to be at least one or two of 'em... :~
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

student

As of now we do not have anyone on the sched to work the Maynardvill AS.

I can help set up the day before and take down after the shoot but I will not be able to run the shoot...

I'll see what I can do about arm twisting some of my IIT's up here.

Aaron
Live the life others gave up for you.

www.skillgarden.net

Lead, Follow, or Get out of the way!

Spanner

Quote from: student on September 28, 2009, 08:54:00 AM
As of now we do not have anyone on the sched to work the Maynardvill AS.

I can help set up the day before and take down after the shoot but I will not be able to run the shoot...

I'll see what I can do about arm twisting some of my IIT's up here.

Aaron

As of now we have one RH.  An SB and some IIT's (at a minimum) would be welcome, as well as more RH's.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Fred

dart, thanks for posting that avatar. Maybe it will get some attention on this near-dead board...

Or, maybe we should send in a team of zombiehunters - looks like there's plenty of targets in TN! :(

Hey, here's an idea!

Since we can't get anybody to do anything in TN, why not get some energy behind a bill to change the state motto from "The Volunteer State" to "Land of the Zombies". (Personally, I kinda like "Land of the Undead"...)

Laugh  ;D or cry :'( - seems to make no difference, in modern USA.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

SamD

Makes me want to move to Tenessee.

V

Makes Tiger glad he isn't a trap shooter  :)

dart67eb

I just like Terminator chicks and this gives me an excuse to look at one.

dart67eb

I've been trying to set something up around Memphis but have hit nothing but dead ends so far.  Everybody keeps pointing me to the MSSA shooting club in Arlington but I don't have $600 to join.  I'm asking around for private land to set up.  Something will come up, eventually.

Big Papa

If anyone can do it, you can. Keep up the effort. I visited MSSA several years ago. Nice place. Do you have any connections with the Sheriffs dept? They have a range in East Memphis.
Private land is great. We may have to move out to Fayette or Tipton counties to find a place.
Patch or no patch, you still have to cook! - Big Mama

Wade

Well from what I understand about Tenn , Grasshopper( Thank you Grasshopper O0) has built a Dar at his place as I see it if you have at Lest 1 motavited person to do work on the 7th step at the shoot's  and fallow up on that there It Will snow ball from there .
You miaght wonder how I would know this well In Wa we have such a motivated person his handle is Wheeler44 ( no you can't have him we going to keep him ) If there is such a person in Tenn you miaght pm Wheeler44 and ask him how he does it ( don't ask me I just play it the dirt and drive a truck) Think you can't do it ??  Well Wheeler went from just getting his Riflemans patch to Wa and Or state cordanator and works for a liveing on top of that .

Sounds like Tenn has some motavited  ppl, persist adapt over come  I have faith in Tenn .

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

grasshopper

Yep, there is some activity here in east TN. The November shoot here in Maynardville was outstanding, and my wife and I WILL be hosting more shoots. Promoting AS in a more rural area sometimes takes a little longer, but after 7Th step I always invite to just come shoot on our range and this seems to work. Anyway were not dead yet and are still trying to do what we can.
LIVE FROM EAST TN, GRASSHOPPER & JANIS.
PS Next shoot we'll see what Janis cooks up, venison stew, or who knows what ever, I can promise it to be good.
Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death. My oath has no expiration date.

dart67eb

The old sheriff's range is a no-go.  Shelby Farms has been taken over by a conservancy and they won't play.  I tried both official and unofficial routes. It'll be either private land or MSSA.

Fred

15 replies on this thread over a three-month period by six or seven people from the Great Volunteer State of Tennessee (pop as of Jul 2008: 6,214,888) is not too impressive.

I say that not to discourage, but to point out we need to get some more volunteers from TN on this board.

Have each of you guys actually done "the list"?

Actually made out a list of all your friends, co-workers, neighbors, family, relatives - and invited them to an Appleseed?

Each of you is at the center of a nexus of dozens of people you know.

It says little that's encouraging about the future of the country if, in today's depressing times, when you can see the water starting to flood the deck, you can't each get at least ONE person into a program to save the ship.

Again, not saying this to discourage you, but to get your energy going on this.

Let's get more people on this board from TN.

What? Are ALL of you orphans? No friends, no family, no neighbors, no co-workers?

They're out there. They're worried by current affairs. They WANT to know what they can do to make things better. They just don't know it - and they don't know there's a way to save their country.

Either you guys start telling them (remember, 'kind and gentle', right?) or we're well on the road to nowhere...

dart67eb

Easy, Fred.  I went to my first shoot in Apr and so far I've dragged 8 people with me and plan on dragging another 5-10 to Little Rock if they let my 10 yr old come.  I'm just getting warmed up.

Fred

Great job, dart!

Can we get a head count from each of the others on this thread as to how many they have brought - or have signed up for a future AS?

With a pool of 6 million-plus, I would think we'd quickly be up in the hundred thousands, at least.

dart67eb

Fred,
You're just being nice because you like my avatar.

grasshopper

OK, I just got info out to savageshooter about another AS in Maynardville TN. It will be posted soon for April 17-18. Still working it in east tn, Craig (grasshopper) & Janis. Looking for another great shoot, last one was outstanding.

Spanner

Quote from: grasshopper on December 23, 2009, 06:28:17 PM
another AS in Maynardville TN.

O0  O0

Any instructors in TN that haven't adopted a range yet, I recommend that you pounce on this one before it is taken.

Great hosts, free camping, beautiful location, wonderful shooters.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

grasshopper

Well, it's official we are having another AS in April , keeping things going . Also looks like Janis and I will be able to shoot at this one.
We keep watering the seeds for AS when ever we can and are in town. It will grow here, word is spreading and people are getting interested, as are some of the police and military personel I come in contact with.
It is going to be a great shoot. Looking forward to it, and doing what we can when we can, to keep it moving and growing in EAST TN.

tnhawk

Quote from: dart67eb on December 10, 2009, 05:18:09 AM
I've been trying to set something up around Memphis but have hit nothing but dead ends so far.  Everybody keeps pointing me to the MSSA ...

I've been shooting in north MS, as there's nothing in West TN other than MSSA.

dond

You can't get much further west in TN than Puryear. Have you checked us out yet?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

dart67eb

Well, it turns out my son's (gunner09) wrestling coach is the secretary of the MSSA.  He's agrred to let appleseed present to the board of directors.  I've talked to Dond and he'll do the talking (thank goodness!).  We're just waiting on a date.

DKZ

Hello all. Being new to this forum, Im still trying to figure out how to post replies, etc. I just signed up for the April AS in Maynardville. This will be my first AS. Looking forward to meeting some other folks from TN at this shoot too.

Regards,
"The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us" - Thomas Jefferson

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, Our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.-"Samuel Adams, 1776

grasshopper

Hello DKZ,
Are you close to Maynardville? If you can look up the AAR for Maynardville, Nov, 7-8 2009, and you'll see where you 'll be shooting. Last time we had folks from as far as Indiana. And you will meet some great people. By the way my name is Craig Rieth (grasshopper, on-line) and this will be hosted by my wife Janis, and me. This will be our second event and look forward to you coming and bring some people with you. If you live close by you are invited to stop by and see our range. It's kind of spartin for now but as time goes it will be a covered range.
Welcome aboard,
Craig (grasshopper)

DKZ

Thanks for the warm reception. Im a little more than an hour from Maynardville. Thats not a problem for me. Id love to come up earlier than April and meet you folks and see the range. What hours do you keep up there? Since I learned about Appleseed, Ive been talking to neighbors and friends about this. Im still working on it.  By the way, my name is Don Zades. Hope to see you soon.

Regards,

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, Our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.-"Samuel Adams, 1776

DKZ

Hey Grasshopper. I just wanted to again (publicly) thank you for having me up to your range for some practice. You have a great set up there and Im looking forward to the AS in April. Im trying to get some friends and neighbors involved, but so far no takers. I see that there are 7 registered so far. I will take you up on your offer to use the range again before April. And, of course, if you want some shooting company some time, just give a holler. If you can use any assistance for the AS, just let me know. I will help where I can.

Thanks for your hospitality. I enjoyed meeting Bill and Cary too. I hope they can make the AS as well.

Regards,

Don   :~