News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sounds like a good deal - I'm going to order one

Started by Old Dog, September 22, 2007, 06:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

This may be a pretty good source of Revolutionary War history.  For $2.95 (plus shipping/handling) you can't beat it.  I'm going to order one

http://m1.buysub.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10401&storeId=10401&productId=16650&langId=-1&gclid=COiLs56A2I4CFTaoGgodYhRbNg

Just a note (or two).  If you abbreviate road or avenue don't put a period after it.  It shows as an invalid character (evidently the British have taken over the programing at LOA).  Also, don't put any spaces between the 4 digit number sets on the credit card number.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Old Dog

Got it today.  The very first chapter is Paul Revere's first hand account of his ride, who he talked to, what he saw, his treatment by the British soldiers who captured him and then let him go, his return to Lexington to get the "trunk" and his account of what he saw happening on Lexington commons that morning.

As far as that goes, he also said there was only Militia at Lexington, he estimated around 50 or 60 of them were waiting for the British redcoats when he was helping drag the trunk to safety.  In Paul Revere's words:

"I went thro' them, as I passed I heard the commanding officer speake to his men to this purpose. 'Lett the troops pass by, & don't molest them, without they begin first.'"

I've read some (not as much as some of you) Revolutionary War history.  Reading something written in the last few years isn't nearly as moving to me as reading words written by the people who were there when it happened.

This stuff can be a little hard to read.  Notice the spelling in the quote above.  I typed it the way he wrote it.  The spelling seems odd, the choice of words also odd but that adds to the feeling you get.  Read the words they wrote in the manner they spoke them.  Get a real feel for the times and the tribulations.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Old Dog

"Chapter" 2 is an account by and English officer, Frederick MacKenzie.  He was with the relief column that marched out of Boston to "rescue" the Redcoats who'd marched on Concord.   It lists the British casualties by company and lists the Officer casualties by name and location of wounds.  In his diary he wrote that at they time the British believed they Colonial casualties were greater than 300 dead and that by the end of the day the British troops were facing a combined "rebel" force of 4,000 men.