News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The colors and seasons of appleseed

Started by eaglescouter, September 01, 2009, 04:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglescouter

I am freshly returned from a unique series of events.  Starting with the California Instructor meeting, then a week long Fresno RBC, then a weekend Appleseed.  Travelling home was an interesting challenge (partly due to reduced sleep periods during the week, and partly due to the 6 hour drive getting me home at 4am.)  But NorCal22Gal did her co-pilot duties valliantly, thus the drive was uneventful.  Long drives are special for me, as they provide opportunity for reflection:

The foothills surrounding the Central Valley of California are wrapped in their golden summer hues as the drought stressed oak trees put the finishing touches on their 2009 acorn crops.

Those oaks remind me of Appleseeders.

They stand tall and do their job even when the heat causes discomfort.
They invest in the future, even when their personal resources are drawn down.
They allow the fruits of their labor to be spread wherever others choose to spread them.
They give comfort and shelter while asking nothing in return.

These oaks will be receiving life giving rains sometime in October or November.  They will have survived another harsh period of drought.  A drought that must seem hopeless to them, yet in spite of the drought they invested their energy in providing for others and in making a future.  When the rains come, the oaks will drop their leaves and go dormant for the winter, hopefully having reserved just enough energy to make it to spring, a better time, a time when their new offspring will begin life, hopefully in a better place and environment.

Appleseeders, like the oaks, are dealing with a drought, an extended period of difficulty and stress.  Yet the Appleseeders are active, working not for themselves, but instead working for others and for the future of others.  Appleseeders look forward to the change that can come from their efforts, but unlike the oaks we cannot allow ourselves to go dormant for the winter.  Our efforts must continue, thru the drought, thru the winter, and cannot stop until the springs that nourish liberty and freedom are running strong, not for us, but instead for the future generation of Americans who are yet unborn.

That old oak tree on the hill looks so strong, it was here before me, it was probably here before my grandfather.  That oak will probably never understand the difference it made in so many lives as it provided food and shelter, as its roots held the soil together in the winter storms, as its fallen leaves nourished and improved the soil.   

That old oak is just doing what it can, because it can, and for the oak that is enough.

I am an Appleseeder, I'm tired and sore and feel worn out, but I'll spend some time with that old oak tree tonight, its shade will cool me, I'll feel its strength, and if I'm lucky I'll absorb a bit of perspective that will let me do what I can, just because I can.  That might be just enough....

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

NorCal22Gal

The rains have begun, acorns are falling, the leaves will begin to fall soon.  A new season is coming....Appleseed continues...strong as the old oak on the hill.