News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Columbiana, AL - Shelby County Sheriff's Office Training Center 8/29-30/09

Started by Bama, August 31, 2009, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama

The First Annual Alabama Super-Soaker Shoot was a resounding success!

First I want to thank the Shelby County Sheriff Chris Curry and his amazing staff of Deputies. As far as I am aware, this was the first Appleseed hosted by a Sheriff's Department. The Sheriff and his Deputies need to be commended for their commitment to our American Heritage of Liberty. The Sheriff's Office did not have to open their doors to Appleseed, but they did. Not only did they open the door, they helped carry the torch.  @&)

Please, if anyone can find the time, write the good Sheriff and staff and thank them for serving Liberty, Shelby County and the good citizens of the great state of Alabama. They need to hear support from the "silent majority". There are two addresses off their webpage, one for the Sheriff, and one for the Training Center.

http://www.shelbyso.com/training.php

I have to jump through flaming hoops of contractors and customers this morning, so this post will not begin to adequately convey what transpired over the weekend, but I wanted to get the thread started. I submit to you the "quick and dirty" AAR:

The Shelby County Sheriff's Office Training Center is a first-class facility and offers great shooter capacity and 200 yard shooting opportunities.

We had 24 shooters on Saturday and 14 on Sunday.

6 shooters scored Rifleman, 2 civilians, 4 LEOs.

2 Deputies put on the orange hats, and there have been mumblings about an IBC...  O0

There were some new and many familiar faces at this Appleseed. It was great to see you all again. Many shooters had kin on the line. The Lawley Clan was present and made up about 1/3 of the line.

Everyone appeared to have a great time, improved their skills, stirred their inner American and had a long shower. Did I mention it was a bit humid?

I want to thank everyone that came, shooters and instructors. This is always a group effort and an exercise in coming together as Americans.

Bama

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

funfaler

FANTASTIC!!

Very Good work Bama, and great job networking Appleseed to new places!

Exciting to hear that Appleseed has been embraced by the local Sheriff and Deputies, for sure a solid local presence and an exciting twist in the fortunes of Project Appleseed.

Looking forward to hearing more about the progresses there.

Thanks for your efforts and thanks for the report.

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

CortJestir

Wow! More credibility points awarded to Project Appleseed by having the Sheriff host an event!  O0 And I guess I finally have a use for this emoticon:  @&)  ;D

Looking forward to the rest of the report!

6 Rifleman + 2 IITs =  O0 :~

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Son of Martha

Thanks to SCSO for hosting.  This is a first class facility, and the hospitality shown was such that we had an easy time as instructors.  The SCSO liaison was prior Appleseed (Tracy, multiple rifleman scores and now an IIT), so he knew what needed doing and had things done.  We only had to string up a target line and all was ready.

The SCSO officers who attended were already shooting noticeably better than other LEOs I have seen at Appleseeds, which speaks well of their training regimen.  They came with that most important attribute (a teachable attitude), and brought known good equipment.  These guys could spoil an instructor...

And it was wonderful to see the familiar faces from the other Alabama Appleseeds.  Becky and family, Mazzie and spouse, Bushwacker, Johnathon (2nd Rifleman score this time!) and son, and of course the Lawley squad.  We had several first-time Appleseeders who were enthused about carrying the message back home.  It is gratifying to rely upon the goodness of the cause, and being able to observe it in action.  Ordinary folks getting involved in something larger than themselves, with effects beyond their lifespan.  Building a legacy.

And we were blessed with wonderful weather for this one.  After just enough sunshine Saturday to get everyone nice and awake, it cooled off significantly Sat afternoon with some pleasant breezes.  Indeed, it stayed that way the rest of the weekend, and by Sunday afternoon it was actually chilly enough that the moderate exercise of sling/unslinging, change positions, check targets was welcome.  Couldn't really ask for better weather for an event, provided all at no additional charge.

And as always it is one of the rewards of being on the Appleseed Trail that I was able to meet with some of our Instructors and IITs-- those men and women who have decided to take a stand and who care enough to do what they can, where they can.  Appleseed staff are an example for their countrymen and it is an honor to be associated with such people.

All in all an auspicious event.  Congrats to our new riflemen and IITs, and to the robustly growing Alabama cadre who are gaining ground on other States.  I am looking forward to coming back and seeing the growth and development of Appleseed in our western neighbor.

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

Bama

Ha! From sunshine in the morning to liquid sunshine in the afternoon....

To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

Brandon1

First I would like to thank Flathead, Son of Martha and Taz for taking time to come and help with the event. I also want to thank Tracy for setting this shoot up at a top notch facility. And let me not forget BAMA and the rest of the IIT's. It is a pleasure to be able to associate with people so dedicated!

It was a awesome sight to see patriots laying in puddle's of water shooting the AQT. I saw several times shooters having to blow the water out of there peep sight just to be able to see. People persisting in the face of adversity is always nice to see.

To all shooters at the event. Thank you for showing up with a teachable attitude and willingness to persist in the rain. I also want to say a special Thank you to all of the Law enforcement officers that were at the shoot. Yall have a very thankless job and still do it. I do not get to say it enough but thanks for all yall do.
Roaming the world on a klr.

Flathead

What a great place for an Appleseed!!! With the law enforcement there, and the Lawley family, it made for a great bunch of shooters. As Son of Martha said earlier, they shot very well!  Almost made it to easy on us. If the rain would have held off a little longer on Saturday I think we might have had one more 210 or better.  The rain Sunday was tough and was glad to see everyone that came keep getting back into the sitting and prone positions and banging away at the rifleman anvil. Forming better Americans to save this country!!! With the Riflemen that have stepped into the IIT ring I might not have to make many more trips to Alabama to help out. When that day arrives I will truly miss the people that I have met there.  Bama  thank you for continuing to find places and shooters in your great state. Several were asking about instructor boot camps so maybe I will be needed at least once more.

Bama

Quote from: Flathead on August 31, 2009, 07:56:01 PM
What a great place for an Appleseed!!! With the law enforcement there, and the Lawley family, it made for a great bunch of shooters. As Son of Martha said earlier, they shot very well!  Almost made it to easy on us. If the rain would have held off a little longer on Saturday I think we might have had one more 210 or better.  The rain Sunday was tough and was glad to see everyone that came keep getting back into the sitting and prone positions and banging away at the rifleman anvil. Forming better Americans to save this country!!! With the Riflemen that have stepped into the IIT ring I might not have to make many more trips to Alabama to help out. When that day arrives I will truly miss the people that I have met there.  Bama  thank you for continuing to find places and shooters in your great state. Several were asking about instructor boot camps so maybe I will be needed at least once more.

Needed or not, you, SOM, TAZDevil and Star are always welcome in Alabama. I owe you guys a debt of gratitude for coming to help in my moment of need. Hooray for Georgia!!! Hooray for Alabama!!! Neighbors and friends in Liberty!!

Mrs. Bama

;)  I'm very proud of you baby.  You even smiled nice in all the pictures!  Love Mrs Bama

Bama

Brandon1

Wow I hope that she dose not search out all of your old post's.   !@#) &)

Just kidding, Glad to have you and it was nice to meet you Friday night.
Roaming the world on a klr.