News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

California Instructor's Leadership Meeting, Fresno, August 22 and 23, 2009

Started by James E, August 24, 2009, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E

This weekend, seventeen California Instructors had the privilege to meet with Fred, Bob 210, The Guy,  Funfaler, and Dinky Dao at the Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club, for the first California Instructors Leadership Meeting.

Fred arrived Friday night, and immediately set the tone for the weekend.  He spent a few minutes greeting each instructor, then began TPI with us. "I haven't heard the Third Strike in a while, why don't you tell it to me", and  "What are the four questions that everyone should be able to answer after hearing the history presentation?"  That continued around the campfire until Fred announced that it was 3:30 a.m. North Carolina time, and that he was heading to bed, but at 5:00 a.m. it would be 8:00 North Carolina time and he would be shaking people awake.

Saturday morning, it was coffee and breakfast for the early risers.  At about 10:30, everyone gathered up for a brunch meeting at the local Denny's.  There, we were all introduced to The Guy and Dinky Dao who had just arrived after driving across most of the country.  Fred continued to talk about our heritage, and gave us guidance on how to effectively present it to our fellow Americans.  We were treated to a talk by The Guy on his insights and techniques for presenting the history.  Near noon, we were off to Yosemite for more talks with a little sightseeing mixed in.  Funfaler talked about the new forum, and Bob 210 outlined an optimistic set of goals for California for the next year and beyond.  We were also told of new responsibilities to be taken on by V and BaldDrgn in the state organization.  Finally, we had the opportunity to hear a few stories by Bob 210 and The Guy that had us all falling out of our chairs, and some inspirational words from Fred that had tears rolling down our faces.  About 7 p.m., we left Yosemite and started on the 2-1/2 hour drive back to the club.

Sunday, we helped get the RBC set up, then we had another meeting to discuss our plan to promote Appleseed.  I think we broke up about 2:00 on Sunday afternoon.

I had the opportunity to fill up a notebook with ideas, information, history details, and resources.  I also had a chance to be a part of an important camaraderie building process.  But I was most struck by Fred always, always, always staying on message.  He told us many times that our mission is urgent, and that there is no time to waste.  Fred, I thank you with all of my heart for your vision in creating the Appleseed Project.  It has been a gift to our country, and to me personally.  I know that many others share that view, and many more will in the future.  Of course, I know that the only thanks that you want is for me to help make this effort succeed.  I know there is hope for our country.  I know that I am not alone, that there are others that see the need to save our country.  And I know that we have a plan that will succeed if we give it our best effort.

James E

Some photos from Yosemite:

The view from Glacier Point, Yosemite

The Guy goes California style

Bob 210

Dinky

You may think he's looking at the majestic Yosemite valley, but he's laser-like focused on saving the country.

The Guy, Funfaler, Fred, Bob 210

DesertDog looks on as The Guy and Bob 210 relate a very funny story

Greg in MO

Great AAR James,

But I must say that seeing Guy in a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops is just, well...  DISTURBING.

Looks like a great time though.

Greg

jacques

That was a truely inspirational meeting. It was great to see everyone, meet new people and be able to participate in the growt of Appleseed in California. All I can say is, Appleseed is spreading in California faster than the wildfires here.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

DesertDog

After the long anticipation of finally meeting Fred.  The first thing is says to me is to call me a "whoosy" for washing my shooting jacket ;D &)

It was a great weekend.  Fred's talk the first night put history in a whole new perspective!  The Guy's talk Sat morning taught me how to get into the zone for teaching history.  Funfaler really hit us with commitment as well.

Congrats to V and BaldDragn for your new assignments as SoCal and CenCal Coordinators O0

Got to see some friends I haven't seen in a while and meet some new ones.

See you on the trail!

DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

BaldDragn

WOW...

After seeing those pics, it's like I was really there!

Everybody told me that Fred was not going to be what I expected, actually Funfaler wasn't what I expected, the poor guy shares my sense of humor and outlook. The only problem was keeping our conversations in check so as not to offend others that may be within earshot. As soon as we walked out to the view point to see Half Dome and the ant like images of the people standing up there "JUMP" may have been uttered in unison. >:D Of course we were thinking about BASE jumpers. Maybe California could adopt the state of Kentucky and help get something going out there. I think I know where some of my vacation will be spent next year.

Fred was very clear on his expectations of us for 2010, and how we are going to get there. I think Fred had been affected by the awesome view of the Yosemite mountains, a word or two of praise was almost pried from his lips.

Dinky Dao and The Guy were great fun to have here. The stories told around the camp fire late last night will live on. It was all I could do to keep from dragging my tent back out of the car and staying another night.

I'm glad to see our organization is in good hands, and we in California are committed to keeping up the momentum. Nine months ago all the red hats in the state fit in Mr Bill house, now it takes a large motor home and a small caravan of cars (five were stuffed into my Saturn) to haul half the instructors to an event. By this time next year it seems we will have too many red hats to gather them all in one place so we are splitting the state in two for now, with plans of splitting the state into three regions some time in the future. My mentor, V, has taken on the challenge of Area Organizer for the heart of California Appleseed in the South and I am picking up the baton here in the north.

The only way I can think to repay the favor that we owe to the SoCal instructors is to make every effort to match their numbers. I am asking the instructors in my area to make that effort. We in NorCal are just now, in this last month, getting our feet under us and staffing our own shoots. SoCal takes all the honors for making that happen and they continue to hold our hand through our first stumbling steps. Now it's time for NorCal to make every effort to become self sufficient. We always look forward to seeing our SoCal brothers and sisters but they should have the option to sleep in their own beds on an Appleseed weekend.

So... NorCal, the gauntlet in lying in front of us on the ground.

Can we pick it up?
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Fred

Nice photos, James E. You even made me not look too fat... ;D

As the first of its kind, this meeting was a ground-breaker - we called it - and the rest of the CA AS program - "Taking the 'K' out of California", didn't we? Already there's planning for more meetings like this one, nation-wide.

I was really glad to have the chance to meet a lot of CA instructors I only 'know' via this site - and meeting them in the flesh, I had the opportunity to be impressed once again with the quality of people this program attracts. Makes you feel good, to associate with people like the ones I met this weekend.

Including the one instructor who will, now, never forget two words: "Merriam's Corner!" :)

We covered a lot of good things this weekend: How to Tell the Story, the future of Appleseed in California, along with laying out some needed groundwork for 2010.

And you guys got the straight scoop from the man himself, funfaler, about the revamping of the site. After the initial usual confusion/hiccups of introducing any change is behind us, I think we'll all find the new site far more efficient than the old.

Once again, it was a pleasure to meet each and every one of you. You guys are indeed fortunate to have the quality of leaders you have in Bob 210 - and now in regional coordinators Bald Dragon and V (and soon-to-be eaglescouter).

Would we be so blessed in every state, life in Appleseed would be so much simpler - and we'd complete our Mission in, say, 2010 - and then it's to the rocking chair on the porch, and the mint juleps! 8)

Because this program is growing so fast, this "first" may also be the "last", as the next CA meetings are liable to be on a regional basis, unless the Rose Bowl is available. O0

But remember, just so you don't get too relaxed - I'll be working to get some other (as yet unnamed) state to sneak up behind and overtake you in at least one category next year. So stay on your toes!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

jacques

Quote from: Fred on August 26, 2009, 10:50:01 AM

I was really glad to have the chance to meet a lot of CA instructors I only 'know' via this site - and meeting them in the flesh, I had the opportunity to be impressed once again with the quality of people this program attracts. Makes you feel good, to associate with people like the ones I met this weekend.

Including the one instructor who will, now, never forget two words: "Merriam's Corner!" :)

When I went to my first Appleseed, I was not sure if I would take an orange hat. Of course I didn't shoot a score that time.  After my 2nd, there was no question, then I knew there was no giving up on getting that rifleman score.  The quality of people is outstanding and that is what makes it a success. The Appleseed team, working as a team, is ustoppable.

And if you would like to change my screen name to TwoWords, that is OK.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

LayloPro

Ahhh, sorry for being so late with this...it's been kinda hectic here lately......

This was a fun-filled, group gathering, camaraderie building kind of weekend.....I almost wish I didn't have to go do the Minden AS in Nevada this weekend, so I could have stayed & helped with the RBC all the way thru......

MrBill & I cruised up Friday in his little turbo bomber, thinking we'd get some 600yd steel in.....upon arriving & looking at the thermometer telling us it was mid-90's, low 100's, we decided we would enjoy ourselves much more sitting in the shade with the other instructors that had already arrived......

Sometime late that evening, the "Rent-an-RV-from Hell" finally pulled up with our "movers & shakers" on board, and they -very- happily disembarked.....

Fred was immediately surrounded & began doing his introductions & re-acquainting with the instructors, then decided he'd get down to it....."Somebody tell me the 3rd strike, I haven't heard it lately..." poor IIT's that weren't ready.......even poorer RedHats that could not recall simple things like "What's step 4A?" ........uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....fell into some serious mental dial tone on that one, and can only blame it on "Mad Cow disease"..... **) #) %)

The next morning, we gathered up, had a chance to break bread (well, pancakes mostly...) together @ a local Dennys, and await the arrival of Dinky Dao & The Guy, in from America's Heartland......driving.....in The Guys' car....the POS mobile with the "Not Legal in California" rear bumper sticker.....yeah, no "pull me over now, officer!!" there!! #) &) **) @&)

Some really good things were covered, and then we moved out for Yosemite......now, if you have never -seen- Yosemite, it almost looks like a movie set.....the mountains are just like a backdrop scrim, and it looks too gorgeous to be "real"......but it is real, and as breathtaking as it's always been..... @) 8) :)

We lunched in the pine trees just outside the parking lot, and had a great meeting.....lots of stories, info, laughs & tears.....kind of in that order.....

The fact that we have grown so much, so quickly that we have to "split the state" up, means we will not necessarily be able to spend as much time together with each other as we have :(.....sprouting off in new limbs to generate Apples for different parts of the state, until we cover the entire thing.....and our neighbors are not exactly "safe" from us either..... >:D ^-^ 8)

The ride back into Fresno was "interesting"......one generality never seems to change about pilots driving on the road..... :P $$-0 Somebody commented that if FunFaler pitched this RV off the cliff, he'd be single-handedly setting back AS by a -huge- amount..... :o

The next day, there was another gathering of all to do some brainstorming about ways to do some stuff here in Cali......I wasn't in on that one, since I was up on the range helping Guy with the RBC....(I'm a big fan of cross-pollination) O0
Saw him doing some things his way, let him know some of the stuff we do out here......great stuff, and I even came up with 2 new ideas of how to get concepts across to the shooters @ future events......Thanks Guy! See ya in Dec!

Trying to leave Sunday night was near impossible, as we were surrounded by the best folks around the state.....nobody wanted to leave, and we were no exception.....finally squeaking out around midnight, MrBill & I journeyed back into SoCal, and began our efforts to prep for Minden this weekend.... :~

I will close with this......being with 3-8 instructors at an AS is wonderful stuff, great company, good times.....being with 2 dozen at a time is pure magic.....no exceptions.

We'll be seeing some of you this weekend!!

So, how was your weekend?

LayloPro
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Yosemite pix.....

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

Mo' pix.......

To all whom may be concerned, even though he has protested greatly in the past, The Guy has actually made it out into central California.......

And survived, no mugging attempts or drive by shootings have been reported (yet); so if we can stretch things out, we will try to get him out here again during Illinois's normal "down time".......he may actually relax, and "start to enjoy it"....... **) **) **) **)

LLP

Grandson of Liberty

Well, it's already been said by so many, but it was indeed a great weekend. And on top of everything else I learned never to assume a candid goofy pose for a Laylopro photo wont end up on the RWVA forum.  &)

Seriously though, I just can't say enough about the entire group of folks I had the privilege of spending the weekend with. Thanks to everyone for being there and for working so hard to make a difference.

Here are a few more shots from the weekend:

"So, how many shooters you think we could fit on the line up there?"

Bob 210 contemplates the "Circle of Fire" Gambit

For the briefest of moments, Funfaler is unable to funfaler.

Looking out over a state, and a country, worth saving.

"Who hasn't done 'Number 2' on Bob yet?"- Jr. Birdman, Piru IBC, Three-Oh-Nine

LayloPro

And on top of everything else I learned never to assume a candid goofy pose for a Laylopro photo wont end up on the RWVA forum.

"A Rifleman always takes the best shot of opportunity"......... @) :~ :~ :~ :~ O0

DesertDog

Quote from: LayloPro on September 01, 2009, 04:13:56 PM
And on top of everything else I learned never to assume a candid goofy pose for a Laylopro photo wont end up on the RWVA forum.

"A Rifleman always takes the best shot of opportunity"......... @) :~ :~ :~ :~ O0

Actually, you should always assume that a goofy pose for a Laylopro photo WILL end up on the RWVA forum ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

LayloPro

**) **) **)

So far, only a few green hats & SC's have been exempted from public posting of their "frailties" being posted online for the whole world to see......

Hammer sight adjustments, Bedouin Rifle men, "degrees of flinch", those have been "safe".....

Besides, I thought it was a fairly good pix of GOL, V, & ASM....... @) :))

Some folks are just sooooooooooo sensitive........ #)

LLP

asminuteman

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

LayloPro

hit me with the bucket next seed....(if you dare)

Sept 19-20......Corona......you gonna be there, buddy? >:D >:D >:D @&) &)

Sign in the "new way", & come on down.....even if I only get to whoop on ya for a day..... :)) **) ++)

LLP

asminuteman

LayloPro

>:D  >:D >:D

Whatever it takes.......

Someone at the RBC said they had "lost respect for me" because I was "cheating" (kind of) in a gunfire deal a long time ago ..... :~ :~ :~

I had to remind them that the world I came from was where the only unfair fight was the one you were losing....... :-\

Kind of like running in NHRA class racing...... ::)

One of the nice things about this place was when they told me that "A.I.O." was the rule of the gig....... @)

I can deal with that....... O0

Whatever it takes...... <:)

LLP