News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Racine, WI. Aug, 29-30

Started by ahhshoot, August 30, 2009, 11:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahhshoot

Hey there!
What a safe, fun shoot with a bunch of great Americans. Beautiful weather (lil cold sat morning). We had one rifleman, Rich. Well done.  And (drum roll).... 4 folks take on the ugly orange hat O0. Two going to Illinois and two from Wisconsin. Congratulations and welcome aboard :~. We had WONDERFUL range safety officers. Big thanks to those gentlemen. They helped us get in some 600 yd distance sunday afternoon, and worked the pits for us! The sunday only family that came did spectacular drowning from the fire hose and got caught up by 11:30. I had a lot of fun. And to think I could have stayed home for a bridal shower. ::)
The past is only the future with the lights on.

Old Glory!

Thank you RCLRC.  Perfect hosts! 
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

QuoteAnd to think I could have stayed home for a bridal shower.
Well, you know; just as the men who chose to stand against tyranny, on April 19, 1775; we all have to make difficult choices. :(

O0

(edit...I should have been there.  I don't remember seeing green grass the last time.)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

EEL

Pappy and I border raided into the Racine County Line Rifle Club (RCLRC) around 5 p.m. Friday.  Mark, their club president, and new to our boards as "556SBR", met us and unlocked the gates.  We were instantly reminded of what a great range RCLRC is!!  We took advantage of being able to camp on site and proceeded to set up our tents with a view of Lake Michigan.  Then it was down to the range to survey the condition of the target line.  It only required a few modifications and it was good to go.  Back at camp, rustling up some chow, a small campfire, and then time to turn in.

Dragonfly, or D-Fly as he is now known  >:D, arrived bright and early with our cardboard backers.  About the time our line was complete, our shooters were arriving.  We had an excellent group of shooters again here.  Most came well prepared.  Those that needed an item or two were summarily taken care of by our group of Instructors.  Slings, mats, LTRs, and glasses were doled out.  A side note:  If you EVEN THINK you might be shooting off a concrete pad, you WILL need a well padded, good mat! 

Our shooters persisted on Saturday despite winds blowing mats AND rifles across the firing line.  Those light, synthetic Marlin 795s and 10/22s CAN fly!!  The shooters absorbed all the instruction and did their best to apply this new found knowledge.  1 shooter, Rich, was able to put it all together and produce a 226 on his AQT, earning his patch!  Congratulations Rich (End Point) O0.  As stated, we had 4 shooters accept the Orange Hat.  They had shot Rifleman at previous Appleseed events.  Having met the requirements for taking an Orange Hat, all agreed to take on more responsibility in helping save our country.  Thanks to Todd (Gopher Boy), John (Son of Liberty), Mike (?), and Scott (?).  Welcome aboard!

RCLRC were great hosts and allowed our new Riflemen, IITs, and Instructors to "go distance" on the 600 yard range.  Folks are still amazed that what what they accomplish at 25 yards, DOES directly translate over to 600 yards.  Add a few clicks of elevation, maybe some windage...and WOW!  They are not just in the black at 600, but some in the 10 ring!  Nice job guys   O0

Alas, the weekend was over.  Another successful Appleseed at RCLRC.  Hopefully, some newly awakened Americans will make good use of the Liberties our forefathers paid so dearly for.  Get to another Appleseed soon.  Bring friends.  Keep your eye on that front sight!

It was a priviledge and an honor to enjoy the company of a fine group of friends, shooters, instructors...Americans.

Respectfully,
EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Robbvious

I'm really happy for, and proud of Rich in the attached photo, but somehow a cranky countenance swept over me during the photo shoot.  Anyway, great job by all of our shooters and thanks very much to our new IITs.

See you on the Trail! Next stop, a deep penetration raid in the darkest reaches of Illinois(ucks) at Ottawa.
...in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to Heaven and our rifles. - Hanover Association, Lancaster County, PA 1774

Old Glory!

:)
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Gopher Boy

WOW!  What a weekend.   So much fun, so many new friends and so many personal accomplishments.

I think the highlight was hearing my son tell me on the ride home how much fun he had and wanted to know where the schedule was so he can plan out next weekend.  Then of all things he wants my copy of Paul Revere's Ride once I've finished with it.  Hmmm...  Maybe I should just buy him a copy  :)

The folks at RCLRC were amazing. 

Then to add to an already perfect weekend.  I put on the Orange Hat for the first time.  Time for the fun to start.

EEL, Just a quick thanks to you and your whole team of Instructors for another very memoriable weekend.

Gopher

Old Glory!

Racine Journal writer and photographer paid a visit on Sunday.  Here is the story.

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/article_81e2d90e-95e8-11de-b7c4-001cc4c002e0.html

ManOutdoors

What a great experience!  Many thanks to all of you who took the time to put together this event.  The information and the training I received this weekend were invaluable.  I appreciated hearing about the events of April 19, 1775 and the founding of our nation.  I still can't believe how much my shooting had improved in just two days.  I was also amazed at just how helpful and giving everyone there was.  Everyone there truly did more than their "little bit" to make something big happen.  Hopefully someday I can return the favor.

Robbvious, thank you again for loaning me the 795 mag and the shooting mat.

Joe, thank you for taking the time to help figure out what was going on with my groups and for the use of your .22 yesterday.

EEL, Pappy, Dragonfly, Old Glory, AhhShoot, Colycat, and everyone else, thank you for taking the time to make the weekend possible.  I look forward to seeing you all again at another shoot.

Deacon

Sounds like I missed a great shoot!
Congrats to the Rifleman and the four Orange Hats.  Your journey down the Appleseed Trail will be will be truly rewarding!
Ahhshoot, you had some great quotes in the news article...way to go!  I think Trisha will be a little jealous that she was stuck with her party.  She will probably be even more upset that your picture was used in the article! 

Sounds like there is some room in Chillicothe, IL on Labor Day weekend if you need to get some more 'seed'.

Good job everyone!
-Deacon

JoeZ

Hey D-Fly.....read that article. I believe you are officially published!!!! ;D

ManOutdoors...your more than welcome. Feel free to PM me if you want help with anything. Maybe we should set-up a mini Appleseed around here to help guys like you who are so close. (185 if I remember right)
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

colycat

Oh shoot, someone mentioned I was there.  This was my opportunity to show up incognito.  Must be this forum, because before 10 am on Saturday, I was made.  I even wore an old army jacket and a camo hat.

Its been a long time since I have gone through the "day of learning, or the day of ..ll" on Saturday.  We instructors, at our Saturday night meeting, go over the days events and most times, the positive out number the negative, ten to one.  What is it like to be a shooter?

I also thought this would be a great opportunity to bag on the south of the boarder SB, a boarder raider at that!  Well, I could not believe how fast Saturday went by, and, how much fun I had as a shooter.  This was the first time, in a long time, that I did not hear the little voice in my head saying, " shut up Coly".  I never said anything all weekend, almost.  I came away with the impression that this is a really GREAT PROGRAM. 

And as a side note:  I love my boarder raiders from south of the boarder.  It was a great shoot, I had a lot of fun wearing my pink hat, and I am looking forward to being SB in Lodi.

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

AFTERMATH

Sooo.... Did you get your patch? ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

endpoint

What a great time!  Thank you guys for helping me become a better marksman.  In particular, thank you Robb, Eel and ColyCat for the sling for my rifle, rifle for my wife and letting me shoot on the 600 yard range!  That is twice as far as I've ever shot before!

I spent some time looking up the family history and found that I am sort of related to Hezekiah Wyman through my mom (not a direct line though) and have a relative through my dad's side that was in a militia.  So lots of history and learning ahead for me :)

Attending an Appleseed is definitely the best thing I've done in a long time.  I definitely intend to go further than that patch and I'm really glad I'm not a cook anymore.  You guys would get sick of the popcorn eventually!  ;D

Old Glory!

The gigs up!  

Aj

Thank you guys for making me wayyyyy better shot and teaching me about the American history. Definitely the best weekend Ive had in a long time. I still gotta work on some things but hopefully dry shooting will keep me on track til my next appleseed. Thanks again for an amazing exprience. O0

~Andrew

EEL

Well, at least the rifle didn't match his hat!   **)   **)

P.S. Coly, I didn't blow your cover.  I know that if Fred ever finds out you had a free weekend.....  &)   &)   &)
       Although, no better way to spend a weekend off Instructing at an Appleseed than SHOOTING at an Appleseed   ;)

P.S.S.  We also had another surprise guest.  JohnnyAppleseed came by and lent a hand for awhile.  Said he needed to check up on the Illinois Riff-Raff.  Now where in tar-nation did he get THAT idea? ? ?   Hmmmmmm, I wonder.  <:)
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

pipercatt

You guys are the best! I had a blast on Saturday, I only wish I could have made it Sunday, too.  Thank you all for your teaching and attention, Endpoint and I will be seeing you guys again, for sure.

Old Glory!

JohnnyAppleseed on the Appleseed trail.  :o  THAT was a GREAT surprise!   It is an honor to have out of state instructors come.  It is a great sign of dedication to the Appleseed project on the instructor's part, taking the time and effort to help build up the program in another state.   Also a great witness to the shooters of the scope of the program.  I have a feeling that the long drive between Michigan and California will be scattered with "seeds" in the true sense of Johnny Appleseed.

Endpoint, Pipercatt, ManOutdoors, AJ, Adam, and EVERYONE else; Welcome to Appleseed! and the forum.   

I really enjoyed talking with our Sunday only shooters, family of 5.  At first we had a hard time finding Lori's bullets on the paper.  I stood behind her and tried to see where they were going.  We posted a couple of targets side by side to try to find them.  D-fly found that the scope was moving 1/2 inch up and down, and after securing that in place, ALL her bullets were in about a 6 MOA group!  Tight enough that she applied her knowledge of IMC; 24 clicks right!  And guess what?  Lori, Tony and Fritz won the team shoot!  That was fun to watch!

Gopherboy and SonofLiberty; think about the Instructor Boot Camp at Pappy's in Ottawa in Dec. THE BEST HOST you will find!  Sounds like your son might have the heart to wear an orange hat too. 

Shooters, after you read through the handouts, share them with your friends and relatives.   Thanks for helping Appleseed spread the word among your family, friends and co-workers; you are great witnesses to an important effort to remember and preserve our Heritage.

Hope to see you all on the trail! 
Suamico, Sept 12-13
Hubertus, Sept 26-27
Lodi, Oct 10-11.

If you can't wait til then, Ottawa and Chilicothe, IL next weekend.  Join the WI border raiders team!   >:D

Aftermath,
Colycat earned a pink hat.......shoot like a girl - if you can! ;)

Trisha

This sounds like a great weekend, and I am sorry I wasn't able to make it. I like to see that my husband ahhshoot is now famous  ;D

EEL I will get to one of your shoots eventually, and I am hoping soon too because I always hear good things about them.

Congrats to all the Riflemen and the new Orange Hats, welcome aboard!

Colycat you can borrow my pink hat any time, it seems to suit you very nice.  O0

dragonfly

Another beautiful weekend at Appleseed.

Congratulations to endpoint(Rifleman) and 4 new orange hats, thanks for stepping up.

pipercatt hope to see you and endpoint at another Appleseed soon.

Thanks to all you Appleseeders for bringing a positive attitude and great willingness to learn.

Special thanks to RCLRC and there RSO's for all there help.

I hope to see you all on the trail soon.

Who was that under the PINK hat?

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

EEL

Trisha,
Look forward to working with you !  It is inevitable, as the co-operation between our two states is un-paralleled.  It's great to have neighbors as good as ya'all.  ;)

EEL

Grandy

First of all, I have to recognize and thank all the instructors and administrators who were at the Racine Appleseed. They all went the extra mile to see that we got whatever we needed to be successful if at all possible. When they told us about April 19, 1775, some of them had all they could do to hold back their emotions... they really believe in what they are doing! I do have to give a special shoutout to Pappy who put up with all my problems and kept his sense of humor through it all! Here he is telling us about the "First Strike Of The Match".

Whether the staff was signing us in, were giving instructions, demonstrating principles and shooting positions, or lending us everything from duct tape to sweet shooting rifles, they all maintained a positive force to lead us through the weekend. Here they are talking to some riflemen in training on a windy Saturday morning.

Yes, sometimes for us the information flow was like drinking from a fire hose, but the staff had conducted many Appleseeds and they knew just how far to push us so we could cover the large volume of instruction in two days.

If you learn and practice the Appleseed methods, you'll be amazed at how good a shot you'll become. I saw it happen to other shooters over the weekend and it can happen to you.

With Great Admiration for Appleseed,
Grandy
Bring Enough Gun

SonsOfLiberty

What a great weekend!!!  I got to meet another fine group of instructors, riflemen and cooks(soon to be riflemen).  Congratulations Rich(endpoint) on making rifleman!!!

EEL, you run a tight and friendly crew.  I look forward to working with you, now that I have my new bright orange hat, on future events, and asking questions after you un-sling yourself from the laser pointer rig :)

The range safety officers at RCLRC were absolutely wonderful and the opportunity for us to shoot at 600 yards with them working the target pit was priceless.  I just lightened my field pack quite a bit...I no longer feel I need to carry a bench rest, lead sled, bipod or sand bag to rest my rifle on  :~

Rotor

Thanks to the great folks at RWVA for putting on a great event. RCLRC looks forward to having you back next April 17-18th with at least 40 spots on the line. Bring a good mat.

Glory, that reporter really paid off. The piece hid wrote was great. I hope you get some mileage out of it.

Pappy, I'll have a present for you at the Kane Co gunshow.

EEL thanks for a fun couple of days.

I think Johnny Appleseed got my wallet.

JR
RCLRC

ahhshoot

The past is only the future with the lights on.

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Trisha

He knows, it just looks like you are yawning... ;D