News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colebrook, CT AUG 8-9-2009 AAR

Started by Buzzworth, August 10, 2009, 11:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzworth

Staff
SB/Buzzworth, SeanO, LKB3rd (IIT2), CortJestir (IIT), smithy (IIT)

THANKS GUYS  O0
You men make the job of Shoot Boos a lot easer  ;)

Q&D Stats

Shooters
Day 1: 25 shooters
Day 2: 20 shooters

Round count high

Rifleman
Day 1: 0
Day 2: 7  :~

2 new Orange hats TOMINCT and another Tom (no handle yet)

Rifleman names:
•   Mike
•   Will
•   Marc
•   Dave
•   Bruce (again) I will have a hat for you just say the word
•   Paul (no pic)
•   Kate (no pic)
No forum usernames given.

First
THANK YOU
Northwest Connecticut Sportsmen's Association
This range is OUTSTANDING!!!! O0 O0 <:)
Roof over the firing line with lighting inside and they cooked us lunch and took photos
Top notch digs  O0

A special thank you to TOMINCT this man went way above and beyond to make this happen lots of hard work and planning  :o  O0  <:)

Saturday
We had a full line with a good mix of shooter experience and a good mix of rifles center fire, rim fire, bolt and semi auto (no tube feed)

Things got slow due to rifles not quite ready, funky slings, 1" swivels, and sights N.G.
Smithy worked em'  and got them up to snuff
I loaned out rifles mags slings 1" sling clips reworked other slings so they would work on and on...

SeanO talked heritage (formally known as history for me) at lunch
We did it all and still got two Q&D AQTs in by the end of day one

One young man (Nick) was right there (MAN!... too bad he was a Sat only guy or he would have been Rifleman #8) he and his dad will be back.  ;)

Sunday
All attendees were from Saturday

Shot redcoats and shot all five squares and got sighted in with both center fire and rim fire
Got right to AQTs ran the grind,worked em hard

SeanO talked some more heritage at lunch (I love this guys heritage talks, lots of feeling there) I could and should stay and camp and listen all night around the camp fire  :) :)
SeanO please post your reading list  8)

So after lunch we shot two more AQTs

Next came something new for me  :o
We had to rearrange the shooters in two groups one would shoot full size D targets at 100 for stage 1, and then move them to 200 for stage 2, them still at 200 replace the targets with correctly reduced size (still big) for stage 3 (still at 200) and then replace them one more time with correctly reduced (still big) for stage 4
To throw another twist into this it started raining lightly and was just damp, wet and foggy
So taking down and reposting targets would have destroyed the targets
SO.....
Tominct came up with shooting two of each stage and posting the reduced targets right over the previous stage

Here is how it went
Shoot stage 1. (Full size D target) go down range and score it and paste it and then shoot the same stage again.

Move the targets out to 200 shoot stage 2 (still full size D target) go down range and score that and paste it shoot the same stage again
Now post a correctly reduced target for stage 3 and shoot it at 200 go down range score and past it. Shoot stage 3 again

Now post a further correctly reduced target for stage 6 and shoot it at 200 go down range score and past it. Shoot stage 4 again

So the shooters ended up with two almost full distance AQTs shot correctly (2&8 when needed) stage by stage meanwile we also at the same time on the same range ran half of the shooters with rim fire two stage by stage Q&D AQTs at 25M

Whew.... that took a lot of time but it worked  :o  %)
Thanks to TOMINCT for supplying all the targets  :D :~

Pics soon
don't wait please post away

My name is BUZZWORTH and I love this stuff!  ;)
No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

Lilorfnannie

I went and it was AWESOME!!!  O0

I'm going to practice & make Rifleman next time  O0
Things are what they are, regardless of the pretty thoughts a person thinks in their head about them to the contrary.

CortJestir

Just real quick here, 'cuz I'm about to get on a plane... I'll post pics and more thoughts when I touch down.

But man! What a weekend! The weather held out for the most part and we had a great group of shooters. And the club! Wow, such a nice venue. I'm truly spoiled having been to 3 Appleseeds in CT, all at top-notch facilities.

Welcome to the forums, Lilorfnannie! We'll see you at another Appleseed I'm sure!  :)

And yeah, it was too bad that 15-yo Nick couldn't come back on Sunday - he had a great chance of being #8! He told me he had only put about half a brick of .22 through a rifle before the weekend and he was already shooting in the high 180-190s. Talk about being a natural.

Tom (who took the Orange Hat), if you're reading this, you should have gotten another activation email for the forums. I had Nickle send you one. If you still can't get activated, send me an email at cortjestir at gmail dot com. We'll get you sorted out and on the forums here and get ya workin'!!  O0 :~

True to New England fashion - 7 riflemen out of 20 on Sunday and more in the making. Way to go everyone!

And to Buzz, SeanO, LKB3rd, and Smithy: It was honor to work with you. I'm thankful this was my first crew to work with at an Appleseed as an IIT. I look forward to many more encounters with you all on the Trail.

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

SeanO

Good morning!

As everyone in New England must know by now, working with Buzz is a hoot and a half - he makes all the rote stuff memorable with his, uh, eccentric singsong cadences.  His rendition of the National Anthem is memorable, too, but less, uh, melodious, though delivered with full-throated conviction and patriotic vigor.  And, as with any Buzzworth production, there's never any question about who The Boss is....

And it's great to see guys like Len and Todd coming into the program.  I couldn't have picked two better guys to take the orange hat - they're everything an Appleseed instructor should be.

And, Tony, it's another hoot and a half having you to straighten out all the mechanical problems.  I know it's not possible yet, but some day I'd love to see a gunsmith at every shoot.  It's amazing how quickly the problems go away when you've got someone like Smithy on the line.  And besides, he's a two-fer - he works the line as well.

And what a great bunch of shooters.  They went through the usual Appleseed hell on Saturday without whining and came back for more on Sunday.  It's really great fun to work with people who L I S T E N and then actually T R Y to do what you urge them to do, even though you're asking them to bend and stretch their bodies into unfamiliar positions.  Have faith in the Appleseed system and you'll get to be a Rifleman.  (Uh, Riflewoman.  Uh, Rifleperson?  Nah, doesn't quite have that ring about it.)  We had 6 - count 'em - 6 Riflemen and 1 - count 'er - 1 Riflewoman - all on the second day.    Appleseed must be doing something right.  Huh?  Huh?

And last, but not least in my book, is Tom in Connecticut.  Tom, you did an amazing job of, first, selling Appleseed to your club, then doing all the logistical stuff that made this shoot unique, even at your own expense.  And..., you were thoughtful enough to make right my screw-up in leaving my camping stuff behind.  Thanks for everything you did to make this shoot so memorable.  And thanks, too, for taking the orange hat - we need more guys like you.

As you know, guys, I haaaaate the driving.  Only the mission and the association with patriots like you and the eagerness of the shooters to learn their marksmanship heritage make it worthwhile.  Only for Appleseed.

Best to all,  Sean O'
If you can't find a way, make one.

Buzzworth

Smithy's shop

Pumpkin on a fence post see (love the easel with white board)

hold center mass with a scope

by the n-u-m-b-e-r-s

full house

READY ON THE RIGHT!

READY ON TH LEFT!

setting up for KD

setting up two firing lines 25M and KD (stage1 @ 100)

stage 4 at full zoom

She BARKS

and she BITES OUCH!! (love my Holbrook device)

Talking targets

LKB3rd and CortJestir doing Steady hold factors (that rifle is all wood and painted blue)

SeanO talking Heritage

NICK (just one more AQT and he would have made it)

more pic to come
Rifleman's row

Buzzworth

The honorable few

Mike makes the cut  O0

Will makes the cut (Garand thumb and all) I bet it is getting a nice dark purple now  ;)  O0

Marc makes it (I have a hat for you too just say the word)  ;)

Dave makes the cut

Bruce makes the cut again (put this patch on your Instructor jacket some thing like an M65 field coat you need pockets while instructing) just sayin'  ;)  O0

The other two did not want pics posted
Paul & Kate they worked hard and made the cut Kate I have a hat for you too just say the word  :D

NOW for the two ORANGE HATS

Tom way to GO! see you on the trail

and the best BOTG guy so far
TOMINCT

who me? I didn't do much (yah right only a year in making this happen that's all, even finding some full size D centers and getting correct reductions made out of your own pocket, making all the backers work and setting up on Friday and doing all the club stuff no not too much)  :o  O0  :)  :~

This was another GREAT SHOOT!!!!!

I'm Buzzworth and I love this stuff

LKB3rd

I got some video on sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSmR7gECMtI
Thanks to all for a great weekend.  Congratulations to the riflemen and riflewoman.

crak

Check your drama at the door.

SeanO

Good morning, Crak!

Yes.  Kate is Caitlin, wife of Dan.  Or, at this point, Dan is consort of Caitlin the Riflewoman.

The irony is that Kate came to the shoot to support Dan in his quest for Rifleman.  You'll remember that he had shot 208 at Simsbury.  So it was to everyone's surprise that she became the first Rifleperson (ugh!) in the family, even though Dan scores consistently higher than Kate.  She just put together one great round and shot 210 exactly.  I can very safely predict that Dan will shoot Rifleman at his next Appleseed.

They're a great couple with their heads on straight.  He's also a history buff who loves the April 19th stuff.  I see an orange hat in his future.

Best,  Sean O'

CortJestir

^^ Also note that when Kate's AQT was scored, it was 211. I was asked to verify and I got 209. It then went to shootboss Buzz to verify with his swifty nifty .30 cal tool with magnifier and the final score, after much deliberation, was exactly 210! Huzzah!

Rifleman Mike

Hello all. I too attended the Colebrook shoot. Qualified rifleman at my first Appleseeds shoot  O0. It was a great experience with excellent instructors and participants. I'll be heading to Bennington on Sunday to shoot again  :). Hoping to bring my score up a few points and listen to more heritage!

Buzzworth, SeanO, LKB3rd, CortJestir, smithy, and Tom:
Another sincere thanks for putting this together.

Buzzworth and ?: see you in Vt on Sunday.

SeanO

Hey, Mike!

Congratulations on diving in with your first post!  And, of course, for making Rifleman.

Now, howza 'bout diving in for an orange hat?  Think about it at Bennington this weekend.  Think about joining in the fun and, more important, stepping up to the mission.  With interest growing in CT the way it is, we're really going to need you.

I hope you got a reading list.  If not, then get a start on the heritage stuff with David Hackett Fischer's "Paul Revere's Ride."  Despite the title, it's a great read.

Best of everything in your new career mission.

Sean O'

Rifleman Mike

Thanks Sean. I missed your reading list but was hoping to get it this coming weekend but I'll start with your suggestion. Perhaps you could post it here if you will not be there.

As for orange hat, I could see that in the future along with my other club responsibilities and working on the local and state politic end of things. I'd like to shoot a few more and get some of my own skills down a little better. Remember, I can't even get into a decent sitting position  :-[

Mike

CortJestir

Quote from: Rifleman Mike on August 12, 2009, 04:52:36 PMAs for orange hat, I could see that in the future along with my other club responsibilities and working on the local and state politic end of things. I'd like to shoot a few more and get some of my own skills down a little better. Remember, I can't even get into a decent sitting position  :-[

Sounds like a "Yes" to me! LOL! Get that man an Orange Hat!  :D O0 :~ &)

Incidentally, Mike (and Sean, Len, TOMINCT, and the rest of the CT crew), go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8416.msg76865#msg76865 and follow the directions if you can't see the State board for Connecticut.

crak

Quote from: SeanO on August 12, 2009, 12:05:22 PM
I see an orange hat in his future.

Er... what about her present?  :)

SeanO

Quote from: crak on August 13, 2009, 01:44:52 AM
I see an orange hat in his future.

Er... what about her present?  :)

Uh... orange doesn't go with her hair color, Silly. :)

CortJestir

Haha, Sean. Orange doesn't go with my eyes. Oh well. Seriously though, I did ask Kate about an orange hat, as did others I'm sure. My feeling was that she wanted to proceed on the AS Trail with her hubby. They would both make great instructors.

TOMINCT

Congratulations to the shooters who showed and went the distance for hopefully the first of many Appleseeds at NWCSA. The instructors did an outstanding job to get so many people to get their rifleman's ranking and have a few more knocking at the door! The only groaning I heard was from the ones who did not take the advice to practice (stretching) on the floor at home for a week prior to the shoot. Especially after the NPOA drill on the four corners of the 1" squares, the way that ONLY Buzzworth can do it! An Appleseed that goes as well as this makes the extra effort all worthwhile. Regards, Tom.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

McIntosh

Hi All,

This was my second Appleseed (the previous being the Simsbury, CT event held 2 weeks earlier).  Although I could only attend Saturday, I had a lot of fun and continued learning.  The instructors did a great job.  My thanks also to the folks at the host range for their hospitality.  Lunch was terrific! 

I'm excited for the future of Appleseed in Connecticut given the great turnouts I saw at both of the events I've attended and the growing number of instructors that are CT based.  I'm sure SeanO, Tony and Buzzworth (or at least their vehicles) could use a rest.   **)

CaptMac

Good morning, Crak!

Yes.  Kate is Caitlin, wife of Dan.  Or, at this point, Dan is consort of Caitlin the Riflewoman.

The irony is that Kate came to the shoot to support Dan in his quest for Rifleman.  You'll remember that he had shot 208 at Simsbury.  So it was to everyone's surprise that she became the first Rifleperson (ugh!) in the family, even though Dan scores consistently higher than Kate.  She just put together one great round and shot 210 exactly.  I can very safely predict that Dan will shoot Rifleman at his next Appleseed.

They're a great couple with their heads on straight.  He's also a history buff who loves the April 19th stuff.  I see an orange hat in his future.

Best,  Sean O'

Yes, thanks to some wonderful instruction at a couple Appleseeds, Caitlin shot a rifleman score, and I am a consort of a Riflewoman.  I felt like I was doing pretty well at Colebrook, then something happened.  On the same AQT when Caitlin shot a 210, I stood up to fire my last ten rounds, looked at the barrel of my rifle and noticed something missing.  My sight had fallen off.  Not making many accurate shots without a front sight.  Oh well, my own darn fault, should have checked and tightend down that screw.  Still, I kept going, tried, came close, but no 210+ scores.  Both Caitlin and I learned a whole lot, became much better and had a whole bunch of fun at both Simsbury and Colebrook.  Many thanks to Lloyd / Buzzworth, Sean O, Todd / Cortjestir, Chris / crak, Len, Smithy, etc., etc., etc.

Since, I didn't make the rifleman score, I have no choice but to persist.  I'll be trying again, barring unforeseen changes to the schedule, on Sept. 19th & 20th, in Saratoga Springs.  Hope to see a familiar face there, but if not, I have no doubt I will enjoy it. 
Ramseur Five Ten!!!

"Live Free or Die:  Death is not the Worst of Evils."  Genl.  John Stark, 1809.

kDan

What a be-yoo-tifull looking range!  So sad I was occupied elsewhere, and much farther away.  Not to knock Elbridge - great event - but maybe next time.

Nice one TOMINCT! and everybody else.  7 out of 20 Riflemen, sheesh!

It's true BW runs a Classic and you will all be singing his steps at your next event whether he's there or not.

"SKA-WEEEEZE THAH TRIGGAAAR!"

MODIFICATION (ADDITION)

While I'm at it...  (I am certainly not hijacking this thread - this is related)  There will be an IBC held 2 1/2 hours West of Hartford the week-end of October 24,25.  Lodging should be available for free.

TominCT, "New" Tom, and of course, LKB3rd (IIT2), CortJestir (IIT), smithy (IIT) - I'm talking to you guys.  SeanO, I know you won't travel this far for an IBC; we talked about that before - an RBC, yeah, but IBC...

Here's the thread:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7496.40

It IS 2 1/2 hours to Hartford, seriously, look at 84 on a map.  Pennsylvania is not far.
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

**)

Are we really going to be fighting over these guys?  No IBC's up here all year and now we do three on the same day.

The Concord/Lexington IBC is going to be less than 1.5 hours from Hartford.   ;)

Nickle

We did one in January (Manchester, VT), 1 in March (Van Etten, NY).

I see little problem in 2 at the same time, or near each other.

I see enough IIT's to fill both IBC's, and then some.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

crak

I thought the Manchester one was last year...  Man this thing grows fast.

Yeah, we'll have enough to go around.

kDan

Quote from: crak on August 31, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
I thought the Manchester one was last year...  Man this thing grows fast.

Yeah, we'll have enough to go around.

Oops...  I guess I did hi-jack the thread.  Sorry, B-dub - 76er's on me next time, coin or no... 

And oops...  I certainly didn't mean to step on Lex/Concord IBC.  Scheduling is what it is - like pin the tail. 

Nevertheless, Crak, you may have Battle Road and Pitcairn's pistols, but we'll have popcorn...   ::)

We've got enough IIT's in PA, NJ, and southern NY to fill up.  It's only archery season.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

crak

Yeah, I know scheduling snafus better than most.  I just put the next Harvard shoot on top of Hartford cause that was the only good November weekend. ++)

Close enough to make guys like us think they're on top of each other, but to everybody else, they might as well be on separate continents.

Cause we're not done until there's an Appleseed a month (or is it a week now?) In every county in America.  :~