News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Vale OR

Started by Mark Davis, August 30, 2009, 08:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

15 shooters on the line, One new rifleman on the first day. RL, Pa Rah, and Clodhopper keeping them safe. LTR is shooting this time he wants a 30 cal. Rifleman Badge.
Sunday we should be shooting 200, 300, 400, by afternoon.

Pa Rah

Saturday RL got everyone stated early, completing safety and safe rifle instruction by 09:30. After the surprise (of the shooters) of the pace of information and prep times wore off the shooters progressed quickly and fired their first AQT before lunch. 

The rest of the afternoon was spent shooting AQT's and hearing the history. By the end of the day the round count was 256 and "Bill" earned the coveted rifleman badge.

Sunday everyone arrived early, eager to get going. We shot a couple of squares and a couple of AQT's. The shooters then proceeded to the full distance range to test their skills. By the end of day John earned his rifleman badge. Those who shot at every opportunity and stayed to end of the second day had a total round count a little over 550.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Ronald Reagan

RL

Thanks again for coming out Shooters. There would be no Appleseed without you.
Thanks again Dave and Don and the Snake River Shooting Sports Complex.
Thanks Rod and Mark. I could not have had a better pair of instructors for my first time as Shoot Boss.

15 Shooters on Saturday. We ran a pretty fast paced shoot, and no one fell behind or complained. The harder we pushed this group, the better they responded. We ended a little early on Saturday, we had some shooters that needed to leave, some that were tired etc. The remaining Shooters posted AQTs until dinner time. Bill, one of our Saturday only Shooters, nailed a Rifleman score. Good shooting!

Sunday we got started with 8 shooters. We had several Saturday only Shooters and a couple that were supposed to return and didn't. The Shooters remembered their safety rules and the 6 steps to a safe rifle so we got started quick. Shot a Red Coat, quick review, Sighter, AQT. They we posted another sighter for Full Distance Rifles...and then...Full Distance AQT! This was the first time that I had been at Appleseed with Full Distance shooting. Dave ran the pits (another first for me) and Rod ran the line. We had two groups of Shooters, one in the pits and one shooting. They did the AQT and then we switched. We had some excellent shooting on the Full Distance. Ethan and Mike shot really well...I shot...ok. Thanks again Cliff for loaning me your M1A. Battle Field pick up practice is always fun, and the M1A is a dream to shoot. We could not have run Full Distance without Rod and Dave to run the show.

After the FD AQT we ate lunch and talked about dangerous old men. We lost a couple more shooters at lunch time...they had run out of ammo. We were now down to 5...so we started posting AQTs again. In short order we had another Rifleman. Congratulations John! John was persisting like crazy. He had been really clost on several AQTs, and I told him he just needed to buckle down and do it. And he did! After John hit Rifleman, I considered my weekend complete, and headed home.

...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Mark Davis

After RL left, when we were down to 2 shooters I broke out my long range .22 and did some 200 and 300 meter shooting. 
From 100 yard zero.
200 meter hits were obtained with 24 more min. elevation.
300 meter hits were obtained with 56 min from 100 yard zero elevation.
Ran out of adjustment about there.
The rifle is 10-22 action and trigger group, Green mountian 20" soid steel bull barrel, custom walnut prone stock, Weaver classic extreme 2.5-10 with 30 mm tube.

RL

And it is sweet!!!!!!!!!
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Fred

Quote from: clodhopper on September 01, 2009, 09:59:23 PM

From 100 yard zero.
200 meter hits were obtained with 24 more min. elevation.
300 meter hits were obtained with 56 min from 100 yard zero elevation.

Was this with HV or Standard Velocity ammo?

This data should go on the "Rifle Knowledge Board". I've had .22 rimfires on the long-range at 200 (and the 13-yr-old girl was spanking some of the battle-rifle boys), but not sure I've ever had them at 300 - this info is nice to know, just in case.

"24 and 56" - maybe I can just remember that. :)

PS: Some info on how it was grouping with the ammo used would be nice to know, too...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Nickle

Definitely need the particulars on that set up.

That warrants a thread of it's own in the Rifle Knowledge area.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

natlmatch

Pictures too please!!   <:)

Mark Davis

I was just shooting at small rocks at 200 meters, at 300 there was a full size steel pig, really needed his length for the light gusty winds. Did not want to hold up the AQTs in progress to run out ther with a paper target. If I come up with some decent info I will post it on rifle data thread.
The ammo was Win "expert" 36 gr HP bulk pack from the official appleseed supply store. It is not High velocity and could very well be subsonic in 20" barrel.
I will see if Glocker can post a picture of the rifle after our Boulder shoot this weekend. I am not very nerdly when it comes to posting pictures. My wife posted my avatar before she got all ticked off about me becoming an instructor. To busy walking on eggs around here to ask her.