News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Today's time travel trip to March 23. 1775 here in Richmond, VA

Started by Old Dog, August 30, 2009, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

A group of Appleseed instructors got together today to attend a reenactment of the "give me liberty or give me death" Patrick Henry speech at the St. John's Church in Richmond, Va.

Several actors portrayed some of the men present at the Second Virginia Convention of 1775.  All I can say is, if Patrick Henry's speech (the whole thing, not just that last sentence that everyone remembers/quotes) doesn't put tears in the corner of your eyes and make your throat get tight.....well, there's just something wrong with you.  The resolutions, arguements, statements leading up to Patrick Henry's speech put a lot of things in perspective and make you realize how far they'd been pushed and how determined they were to put a stop to it and create a better place for themselves and their families.

If you're every in Richmond on a Sunday afternoon between Memorial Day and Labor Day you won't be sorry you went to see this.  By the way, those folks are so good at it that PBS filmed and aired one of their reenactments.

http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/reenactments.html
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle