News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Population Figures for MA Towns in 1775

Started by tdow, August 08, 2009, 04:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdow

Does anyone have any population figures for the towns who turned out on April 19, 1775.  I'm trying to get an idea of what percentage of the population made "the choice" (the right choice of course) that day.

Thanks,

Todd

Fred

Todd, have you googled to find out what's on the net - as you betcha the info is somewhere on the 'net.

When you find out, simply post the info here.

The percentage who made "the choice" would be pretty high, as you'd have to count the women who prepped the men for whatever was to happen that day - putting lunches together, encouraging them, sending out supplies later...

Today I don't think you'd find many mothers who'd be encouraging their 15- or 16-year old sons to shoulder a firelock and go out to face an army. Or many fathers who'd be willing to go, for that matter.

Which is why "the choice" is so important to the Story...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

tdow

My Google searches haven't yielded anything so far.  However I will persist.

tdow

This may be coming in stages.

Stage 1: Boston
Boston's population in 1765 

houses: 1,676
families: 2,069
white males under age sixteen: 4,109
white females under age sixteen: 4,010
white males above age sixteen: 2,941
white females above age sixteen: 3,612
negroes and mulattoes, male: 510
negroes and mulattoes, female: 301
male Indians: 21
female Indians: 16
French neutrals under age 16: none
French neutrals over age 16: none
TOTAL: 15,520 people

This information came from http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2006/05/bostons-population-in-1765.html

--Todd

tdow

Stage 2 Concord- 1790 census. (added by hand  O0)

Total: 1565
Males 16 & over: 419.

Source: http://www.rays-place.com/census/concord-ma.htm

It's interesting to see that they are listed by name.  There are names you will recognize, and some large blossoming families.

--Todd

metalbot

In 1775, Lexington had a population of 750 people, in a little more than 100 families.  Concord had roughly 1500 people.
Davilla 1108