News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dulzura, CA Appleseed, 10/31-11/1 2009

Started by Francis Marion, August 06, 2009, 04:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Marion

San Diego Shooters,

Rifle skill is the serious business of Liberty.

Spend a weekend polishing this skill with the Appleseed Project, and hear riveting American Revolutionary War history besides. Can you shoot your modern rifle as well as a Revolutionary War Rifleman?

Marksmanship and heritage occupy the South Bay Rod and Gun Club this October 31-Nov 1 2009. You'll learn how to use your sling, measure groups and make sight adjustments by MOA, field position steady hold factors, sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze, follow through, shot calling... all the tools you need to effectively use your rifle.

You'll learn the basics well enough to improve your shooting, but more importantly, well enough to teach your friends and family.

Course of fire is 25m, 22 rimfires or centerfires are welcome; we see everything from 10/22s to M1 Garands. You'll need up to 250 rounds per person per day. I highly recommend the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 or 795 with Tech Sights and 1 1/4 wide (not 1" wide) sling swivels and a US Garand type web sling. But we'll teach you to shoot any rifle you choose to bring.

You don't need to have previous rifle shooting experience to attend, and safe handling will be explained at the start of the day. The environment is family friendly, ladies, minors and military pay only $5 per person per day.
Not just for beginners, though; talking with military and law enforcement attendees, they learned relevant technique also. Anybody, in short, who shoots rifles will benefit.

Sign up here online or by mail. Walk on registration is also possible, see all details here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4053.0

Host Range SBRGC, Dulzura:
http://www.sbrgc.org/

FM
Appleseed Project

Francis Marion

Shooters, Instructors,

We may have the privilege of teaching members of a CA Guard unit, perhaps with families, at the South Bay Rod and Gun Club.  They'll attend on their own time, and not as part of any drill activity.  I'll share numbers as I get them.  What a great family activity, a weekend they'll long remember with pleasure.  

If we do have significant Guard and family attendance, this will require numbers of loaner LTRs, and may require additional instructors.  

Shooters, if you have an extra 22 caliber rifle you can loan, please bring it.  It may be needed.  

I will update this thread to publish the number of loaner rifles needed, and match them up to providers.  

As of 10/18/09,
2 people require LTRs,

and there are
2 LTRs available from FM
3* LTRs available from fiveofnine
*(2 of these, 1022s, don't have sights or optics.)

SavageShootr

What a terrific opportunity.

Let me know if you need help.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Francis Marion

To every instructor who loaned magazines and rifles, on short notice, THANK YOU!
We used them.  Guard participation was modest this time, but your loaner LTRs helped out a lot of people, including a sailor who
1) didn't have a sling for his personal rifle, and
2) said he had essentially no rifle shooting component to his basic training. 
Your equipment fixed that and placed an LTR in his hands.   

BaldDragn

Quote from: Francis Marion on November 03, 2009, 10:31:11 PM
To every instructor who loaned magazines and rifles, on short notice, THANK YOU!
We used them.  Guard participation was modest this time, but your loaner LTRs helped out a lot of people, including a sailor who
1) didn't have a sling for his personal rifle, and
2) said he had essentially no rifle shooting component to his basic training. 
Your equipment fixed that and placed an LTR in his hands.   

I guess Navy Boot Camp hasn't change much in the last 30 years. We spent about one hour total with modified 45s that shoot 22lr. You were lucky if you got one that could hit a 8 1/2" X 11" target at 10 yards. I got more marksmanship instruction using the air guns at the county fair than I picked up in Boot Camp.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!