News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Democracy v Republic

Started by Beowolf_357, July 09, 2009, 03:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark D

Quote from: smiley_dan on August 21, 2009, 02:08:09 AM
So what exactly is the mission?  I guess I should know, I thought I knew, but the last time I talked about this with people, no one agreed.

The Vision Statement can be found here  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=post;quote=74807;topic=8159.0;num_replies=1;sesc=6700f893dfdceaff54764f91a7784c20

...and says:

The Appleseed Project's goal is to reacquaint Americans with their unique history and heritage - specifically, the heritage born on April 19, 1775 which set in motion what this country was to become.

The Appleseed Project will instill foundational knowledge and appreciation of the Traditions and Heritage our Founding Fathers established at the birth of our country.  This inspires Americans to work together to restore and preserve our Founding Principles so these Traditions and Heritage will be passed on to future generations, as intended by our Founders.

Appleseed intends to share our Founding Heritage with as many fellow Americans as we can, in the shortest period possible.  Through knowledge and understanding of what their nation was founded as, intended to by, the people of this nation today can make informed decisions of where this nation needs to head tomorrow. 

The Founders have made a great sacrifice to set this nation up in a manner which would require much smaller efforts from the following generations to maintain this nation's blessings.  Simply using the system and tools which they established, we can ensure Freedom and Liberty for generations to come.

smiley_dan

No wonder I was having problems with this - nations don't mean anything to me, I don't appreciate the Founders, despise the "system and tools" they left us, and I think they are not a path to ensuring freedom or liberty.

I'm all for teaching people to shoot, and I think some history of the Rev war is important, but for different reasons.  I knew those reasons differed from many, but not all of us.  I just didn't realize that RWVA had an official mission I was opposed to.

Thanks for finding that for me.

Earl

Two days isn't enough time, nor is a forum on what Appleseed doesn't do, to cover all that doesn't set right with me in the world, and so I come to the Appleseeds to do the two things at are right in my world - better shooting and sharing the skills to make better Riflemen, and the sure knowledge that people like me woke up to participate in what became History on April 19th, 1175, but only after they did wake up and take part. There were probably people that missed the point, missed the action, that couldn't have hit a Regular Redcoat if they had been twice as close or twice as large - and they likely did have different views on what it would be like after the British were gone, but the ones that made the difference were the ones that showed up, did what was asked of them. I don't know the future, I will work to those things I feel certain about.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.