News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA July 18/19 2009 Appleseed Event

Started by V, June 25, 2009, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

This Appleseed will be held on July 18-19th, 2009, at the Designated Appleseed Range (DAR) at Wes Thompsons Shooting Range in Piru California.

Come out and joins us at Appleseed's first DAR and rediscover your heritage as an American and learn how to become an even better rifle shot than you are now.

You just bought a new rifle? We will show you how to be safe, efficient and accurate with it.

You say you've never fired a rifle before?? No problem!! We will train you how to safely, efficiently and correctly operate a rifle.

You don't even have a rifle of your own? Again, not a problem. Make a note in the sign up comments and we will try our best to arrange a loaner rifle for you.

Rusty? Been awhile since you last seriously shot your favorite rifle. Come knock the rust off and give the equipment a serious shake out.

You really know how to shoot? Come see if you can measure up to the standards set by the Rifleman heritage. Who knows you might stay and decide to help pass those skill on.

You'd like to come but with the economy the way it is you don't think you can afford the time and money? Come and see why Appleseed is the only long term answer to solving these problems and that you really can't afford not to come. Sometimes short term sacrifice is necessary for long term gain. Get some friends to come with you, split the costs, carpool, share rooms, camp out. When bad times are coming now is the time to network and meet up with like minded Americans working together to save this country.

All applicable California rifle restrictions are in place, if in doubt to what is allowable, please refer to: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/

*No detachable box magazines may be brought into state with capacity exceeding ten rounds.  Unless you owned them prior to Jan1, 2000; then it's OK. All Tubular-magazine 22s are OK.

*"Assault weapons" ban- If you're registered with CA DOJ already, you're fine and can shoot your AK, AR15, G3 etc. with no problem.  Might want to Xerox the DOJ document and keep it in the rifle case.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" into the state.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" to the range.  Similarly, unregistered 50 BMG is not legal.

Out of state shooters, don't bring military-pattern semiautomatics as they're almost sure to fall under the "assault weapon" ban.  M1 Garand and most 10-shot fixed-magazine SKS.are OK, however.  There is one SKS exception: Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit.  (Having said all that about "assault rifles", there is provision in state law for out-of-state shooters to bring "assault rifles" to CA shooting events; anybody wants to try that out might want to read the statute for themselves and consult a lawyer-welcome to California.)

Now, what is this going to cost you? Women, all under 21s, and active military, reserves, and National Guard are given free admittance. Guys, 21 & older that are not in the military will be charged $45 for one day, $70 for the full weekend if they pre register here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/208512667

If they just show up at the door, it will be $50 for one day, and $80 for the weekend.

The above are the Appleseed fees. In addition there are the daily range fees for Wes Thompson which are $10/person/day.

We shoot at 25m (82 ft) at a reduced size Army Qualification Target, scaled for 100, 200, 300, & 400 yd shooting.
We do not require the use of specialized gear, it really is a "run what you brung" shoot. We suggest the use of between .22 - 8mm rifles.

Iron sights, Tech-Sights, scopes, semi auto, bolt action, lever action, pump action, if you have it and want to learn how to shoot it better, bring it!!

The only real requirement is that there is some way to attach a sling to your rifle. If you don't have a sling we can probably loan one if you have a swivel stud to attach it to!

Plan on shooting about 250 rounds of ammo, per rifle, per day. The range is our classroom, & we very much believe in teaching and shooting.

For more information on this shoot, please check here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4047

There are local motels if needed. Please see the above link. You can also download flyers from that link to print out and share with your friends, family and co-workers.

We gather at lunch on site to explain the importance of April 19, 1775, the beginnings of our country and our Heritage.
Plan to bring a bag lunch both days. There is not time to drive out for lunch.

We guarantee you will not want to miss this portion of the event. Come learn about the choices made by the men and women of Colonial America and their response to an oppressive King. See if you can see any comparisons that might be drawn between then and now. See what your own choices are.

No tracer ammo or ammo that attracts a magnet is allowed.
Please arrive for check in by 8:30am.
We recommend you bring: Sling; shooting jacket; elbow pads; shooting mat (or carpet remnant); water/drink bottles; teachable attitude; Bring plenty of water; If you have shade/popups bring those plus some means to anchor them against wind gusts.

We have only 50 spaces available, so hurry and get yourself pre-registered, so you do not miss out on this opportunity!!

For more info goto www.appleseedinfo.org     We'll see you there!!

pebbles

V,
Do  you have any more of those banners? If not; would be able to send me a copy of the artwork,w/out the ad on the bottom of it, so I can have one made here?
I've been looking to do a few local gun shows here and have no banner to promote with.
Thanks,
Pebbles

V

Quote from: pebbles on June 27, 2009, 01:09:18 AM
V,
Do  you have any more of those banners? If not; would be able to send me a copy of the artwork,w/out the ad on the bottom of it, so I can have one made here?
I've been looking to do a few local gun shows here and have no banner to promote with.
Thanks,
Pebbles
Can I refer you to this thread for this.
Thanx

pebbles

++)  Feelin kinda silly at the moment, being that I TOTALLY missed that part of the thread. tee hee

sespe

I'm working on getting Saturday off.  Right now I'm working 72 straight and wouldn't be there until Sunday morning.  Will let you know.
I appeal to you again to constantly bear in mind that with you, and not with politicians, not with Presidents, not with office-seekers, but with you, is the question, "Shall the Union and shall the liberties of this country be preserved to the latest generation?"  -Abraham Lincoln

Cal 7.62

I'm going with my family to the Channel Islands Harbor to celebrate Independence Day @ the "fireworks by the sea" festival/bash. I printed some Piru "tri-fold flyers" (thanx Webdancer   O0 ) to place in the Swat reprints and hand them out at the festivities.  ^-^
C'mon you sleeping Americans, you won't have Independence much longer if you don't WAKE UP!  !@#)
We need more Riflemen to set this country back on course   :~
Get your arse out to Piru and we'll tune up your hearts and minds!  O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

V

Good job Cal,

Camljr and I dropped in on a tea party spin off called STOMP here in Simi Valley. About 100 people present, we handed out SWAT and Piru flyers and I did a quick three minute Appleseed intro at the "open mike." Made contact with an internet talk-radio host who was guest speaker there who said he contact me for a 15-minute chat on his show sometime. Its a small grass roots org just started up locally so I will help where I can.

Had a great bunch of "moma's" come and mob me for info after the event so I think it went well.

We'll see. I'll hand the rest of the flyers left over out at our local July 4th fireworks display at the local park.

Cheers
Phil

Fred

Here I've been "working behind the scenes", whispering in the ears of people in various states, "Wanna really make a splash? Beat California - you can do it!" - and you guys aren't helping, by making it harder every day!

O0

On the other hand, guess if some second-rate state does suddenly burst forth, and beat you guys on some measurement - number of Appleseeds, number of instructors, number of attendees, number of something or other - even more glory will result.

Just be aware, keep pushing ahead, 'cause somewhere, some time, some day, there's gonna be a state sneaking up behind you, with a hungry look in its eyes - and a "How good are we? Well, we BEAT California!" post ready to plaster all over the site...

@)

(Your response - since I'm willing to help you out - is simple: "You guys couldn't've done it, without us setting the pace for you...")
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SavageShootr

Cal, V and Camljr and Webdancer  O0

AWESOME JOB!!! Keep up the good work. I happen to know that there are a few states out there right on California's heels. And Fred, whispering in their ears like that, got them thinking they could do it, they could beat California.  :o Well, they can try.  >:D

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

LayloPro

I still think our 1st birthday cake in Cali @ Corona kind of spelled it out.....in icing.... @) :)) @@)

and you guys aren't helping, by making it harder every day!

Gosh.....Sorry, Boss.......

guess you'll have to whisper a little "louder", maybe...... **) O0 ^-^

LLP

BTW, Bob, V, Cam, SS, JA, BD, Cal, PP, Web, 22cal, SoR, GoL, CS, & all the rest I don't have in here.....good job......it couldn't get done without you...... O0 O0 O0
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Cal 7.62

Isn't there a saying something like "as California goes so goes the nation"? In this case it's not a bad thing, but a great thing.  O0
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Camljr

Quote from: Fred on July 05, 2009, 08:44:05 AM

Here I've been "working behind the scenes", whispering in the ears of people in various states, "Wanna really make a splash? Beat California - you can do it!" - and you guys aren't helping, by making it harder every day!

O0

On the other hand, guess if some second-rate state does suddenly burst forth, and beat you guys on some measurement - number of Appleseeds, number of instructors, number of attendees, number of something or other - even more glory will result.

Just be aware, keep pushing ahead, 'cause somewhere, some time, some day, there's gonna be a state sneaking up behind you, with a hungry look in its eyes - and a "How good are we? Well, we BEAT California!" post ready to plaster all over the site...

@)

(Your response - since I'm willing to help you out - is simple: "You guys couldn't've done it, without us setting the pace for you...")

got them thinking they could do it, they could beat California.

I, for one, will be happy when one or more other states DO beat our pace....

That will mean the program is expanding and passions are making it happen everywhere....

I really WANT to see it happen...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

V

Did I forget to mention that this weekends Appleseed shoot in Piru may be the place where we see California's 100th Rifleman Patch handed out?

The count is currently 96 so the fourth person to make Rifleman this weekend with be handed a Rifleman Patch, a Rifleman Rocker and the 100th California Rocker!

What's the significance of 100? Well, it was the original challenge from Fred which gave us the first state rockers, "Bet you can't make 100 rifleman in one year!"

This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. There will only be one 100th California Rifleman.

C'mon, brave the sun, the sand, the salad and see if you have what it takes, pit you and your rifle against the AQT.

If we don't do it here in Piru you'll have to travel all the way to Bridgeport on the 25th to try for it. They only have 5 pre-reg'd for that one. You stand more chance of making 100 here at Piru where I'm expecting 20 or so.

We have shade, water, instructors, stories of daring do, history and heritage and that 1 in a 100 rocker.

Go For It!

V

On this afternoon's only AQT we had out 97th Rifleman, 228, on his 5th Appleseed who kindly volunteered to step into an Orange hat and become our ?th IIT. I'll say more in the AARs.

We have one more who was knocking on the door with 190 so tomorrow is the day.

I explained the situation to people during the AQT  >:D  I explained that I had considered that this might be a disincentive to shoot RM, I don't want to be 97,98 or 99 I'm waiting to be 100.

So I explained that I would put our Rifleman in a hat and pull them out lottery style to determine the order and thus encourage people to shoot RM.

But then I explained that this in not what an American  Rifleman should be doing. We don't tear down peoples success but we build on each other's efforts. There can only be a 100th if there is a 99th, etc., and we have to  give thanks for our 1st California Rifleman. So we decided that we would demonstrate teamwork and encourage and exhort each other to the shared success of 100 Californian Rifleman and celebrate gladly, and shake the hand of California's 100th Rifleman. And if not tomorrow, then Bridgeport can build on the success that we do manage here in Piru tomorrow.

Hearts and Minds, American's helping Americans. Appleseed is the solution.

rokitman

Yes ! I attended the July Piru shoot.  Congradulations to # 97.  Despite extreme heat and very dusty conditions , I and friends JD, Lacey, and Mark , had a great time. This was my second Appleseed. My first was in San Luis Obispo in April.  Again, I experienced excellent instruction by people who really cared that I suceed. I was better prepared this time but still did not shoot well, or maybe I did compared to most Americans, but not up to my expectations.  But the constant encouragement and instruction from these fine volunteers made me determined to return and try again. I  will again strive to be better prepared for the next one I attend which I think will be in Santa Barbara in Oct. Thanks a million .   Randy , aka  the Rokitman

V

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the kind words. You can find some photos over here on the After Action Report thread.

Cheers
Phil