News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

La Crescent, MN - Appleseed

Started by vmt193, June 12, 2009, 01:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

The Gopher State Sportsman's Club in La Crescent will be hosting their first Appleseed July 25-26.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7609.0

vmt193

Mogget

Fellow Riflegophers,

Heh.  Who picked that as the state animal, anyway? 

In the past, the gods have simply dropped shooters on our Appleseed lines until they were full, presumably because VMT has a pure heart.  And it is possible that they will do it yet again.  However, we ought to get organized, just in case.  At the moment I need to a volunteer or two to post news of the La Crescent Appleseed on Facebook and on Craigslist.  The way to do this is to reply to this thread indicating that you will do so, and then when you have done so you can come back and edit your post to show that the action is completed. 

In addition, VMT has already posted to AR15.com, The Firing Line, Wisconsin Shooters Forum, MN Gun Talk, and RimfireCentral.  If you frequent any others, please spread the word and then let us know via a post or a PM.

Also, we need to start spreading some flyers around.  I know that most of you live quite a bit farther north.  Nevertheless, you never know who has a cousin or other relative that lives closer...  In addition, simply seeing notice of an Appleseed elsewhere cannot but help smooth the way for one more locally.  Everybody is doing it, you know!!  Attached to this post is a copy of the flyer that VMT made up yesterday.  He has included the Wisconsin shoots (there are bridges, you know), as well as the Winona shoot in September so that some options are available.  You can download it and use it if you like.

Thanks for all the help,

Mogs

AFTERMATH

I've already started on Facebook.

From what I've heard; each person can only post in one region on Craigslist.  So we may need more than one on this task.

Info. on Craigslist postings:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4922.0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Mogget

Spent a nice morning visiting the merchants, bankers, and professionals here in La Crescent and asking for permission to post flyers on their bulletin boards and place handouts near the register, etc., etc.  I had pegged twelve locations as either high traffic (grocery stores) or as merchants who trade in sportsmen's items (ammo and guns).  Of the twelve I identified for my first foray only one, a fitness center, refused me.  Other than that it was a very pleasant two hours spent meeting with folks and talking about Appleseed.

Well, we shall see...

Mogs

AFTERMATH

QuoteOf the twelve I identified for my first foray only one, a fitness center, refused me.
That's because they're afraid of the competition... ::)

I created a Facebook Event listing....
And thus-far have confirmed one guest...Whisker. ::)
It would likely have more of an effect if those who were not attending actually passed on the invite...
I don't have that many Facebook friends.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

AFTERMATH

MINNESOTA!!!
&) &) &) &) &) &)
Ok...
I just looked at the pre-reg's for La Crescent...
Guess how many.....

ZERO
Nothing
NADA
NoOne

We stand to lose our Reputation here!

Typically, we've been nearly sold-out by now!

What's going on?

Lodi is on their way towards selling-out.
And I have word that they've even got a Minnesotan on the list.
How can that be????? %)

It's time to crack that whip people! &) &) &)
I don't want to be one of them 'low-turnout shoots!'

So what are we doing wrong?
Let's attend to this issue immediately!

----Maybe.  Maybe there's something wrong with eventbrite, and when we sold-out the shoot, it reset to zero for the count.----

Old Glory!

As soon as Lodi is full, we will be sending shooters your way.  Sharing goes both ways. ;)  How about local newspapers community calendars?  Local radio community calendars?  How about handing out flyers at the Independence Day fireworks in the area? 

The Revolutionary War Veteran's Association is hosting an Appleseed two day rifle clinic and American Heritage program at the LaCrescent Rifle Range.  Learn to shoot, and learn about the events of April 19, 1775, when marksmanship met history and American Heritage began. Women, or kids under 21, or active military SHOOT FREE!  For more information or to register visit www.appleseedinfo.org, or call.....................

something like that.  Most of that can be done on line. 

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

AFTERMATH

Ok, Where's our BOOTS ON THE GROUND(BOTG)?
Old Glory's got some great suggestions for you all.
I'm not local, so I can't do it all!
There must be some lurkers in the area!

Mogget

Hello Aftermath,

If you would like to participate why don't you head on over to the EPT section and look under the Northwest Ordinance region.  As is the custom, just leave a note about what you're working on so we don't cross paths.  I do a little bit each day, sometimes with EPT and sometimes more local work.

Mogs

AFTERMATH

Here's a La Crescent specific flyer.
Black and white so you can get more flyers out for the same amount of money!

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

dragonfly

I'm going up to Black River Falls this weekend and I'll get some flyer's out for La Crescent.

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Trisha

Ok so I took the liberty of looking on the clubs website, and there isn't any mention of AS on their upcoming events or even on their calendar, really not one single mention about it. When there is something mentioned about AS on clubs websites it seems there is a link to more people signing up. What is the range doing to help promote this shoot? We have a partnership with all the clubs that host an Appleseed and part of that partnership is to help spread the word.

I tried to look up a contact person on their website, but I couldn't find a name or number so if someone could give me it I would be more than happy to call them up and ask what is happening at the club and if they need any help. I have done this before and it has helped, so please allow me to help you.

hawkhavn

All,

I noticed there is a nice little thread on the Minnesota AR-15 page here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=367720

You might see what you can get going here:
http://www.mrra.org/about.htm

And if you look at the bottom of the first post here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=344137
they are talking about another forum you cen get info on.

Hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

AFTERMATH

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

QuoteOk so I took the liberty of looking on the clubs website, and there isn't any mention of AS on their upcoming events or even on their calendar, really not one single mention about it. When there is something mentioned about AS on clubs websites it seems there is a link to more people signing up. What is the range doing to help promote this shoot? We have a partnership with all the clubs that host an Appleseed and part of that partnership is to help spread the word.

Moggot, do you have that info.?

I just sent an e-mail to the general info. contact on the MRRC page.
I believe I have before, but it doesn't hurt to try again.

Whisker

Checking in..

I put up some flyers last week in the twin cities gun shops including the last gun shop in the heart of Minneapolis and Gunstop in Minnetonka.  I also drove down 169 and stopped loads of places to put up flyers for La Crescent, Winona and Sioux Falls.

Hopefully that brings in a few...  :-[
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

I just printed up about a hundred copies of the Dec. of Independence(flyer-conveniently attached ;))
Plan to hand them out tonight...

SamD

Thank you Trish for stepping in to check.

You Minnesota folks need to be flooding the area.
Have your BOTG guy or State Coordinator (if you have one) contact me ASAP for some help.
We can sell this shoot out yet if you step up quickly.

Sam

LaughingShooter

So what's the head count on LaCrescent?  I'll be there, other than Aftermath and Whisker, anyone joining me?  Or do I get to be the lucky woman with at least those two, VMT (also?) and Moggett getting me to RifleGopherWoman status?! ;)

AFTERMATH

I think we'll get you there. ;)
You've been practicing, right?
(Because I have a place in the MN Riflemen List, waiting for you.)

SamD

How are the promotion efforts going up there.
Getting any results?
Id like to see you sold out  O0

vmt193

Sam

To tell ya the truth, I'm baffled right now. Winona's previous shoots have all sold out early, and the next one in Sept. is pretty much sold already with virtually no promotion at all. La Crescent is only 30 miles away and closer to a larger population. We've done an all out blitz on promotions, and still have very few pre-regs. Mogget has been working non-stop writing letters and posting fliers. She recently sent individual letters to several hundred club members but it's only been a few days so we don't know the results yet. We're doing a lot of personal arm twisting right now.

vmt

LaughingShooter

I haven't been practicing - i'm horrid.  Now that the house is on the market, we're avoiding shooting out back like we previously did and now i have to drive (15 minutes) to the shack to shoot...i know, excuses, excuses!  I'll have shot up at least 250 rounds before I come next weekend, I promise! 

Trisha

Laughingshooter, you can always dryfire in your house with out any ammo. Look at an outlet and use that as your target, it is the cheapest way to practice!

vmt193

LS

Good to hear! Are you bringing Russell along?

vmt

SamD

LaughingShooter

whoops - look who didn't pay attention to the forum!  lazy me...anywho, thanks Trish for the advice, I didn't even think of dry firing...I had the best birthday present this year - Mom, Dad, and Russell got me 3700 rounds of .22 ammo!  woohoo!!!!

Russell unfortunately is still working weekends so won't be in Winona over Labor Day either...we have to get him a regular hours job!  :)  AND - we're still working on Dad to let us have a shoot out at the "shack."  We'll keep you updated!