News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Making Riflemen out of minis' works!

Started by LayloPro, May 08, 2009, 05:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LayloPro

Hey there, hey there, hey there!! @)

Let it be known that on this day, May 7, 2009..........

We have another California Rifleman!!

In pink, no less!!

22calgal, persisting as a true Rifleman does, has overcome many obstacles in her quest to join the Appleseed Instructors' ranks, & now proudly wears the Orange hat of destiny!! O0 O0 O0

At a private range with MrBill & myself officiating today, she proved on the rigorous AQT test, that she is capable, & passed beyond the required 210 minimum score, to join the Rifleman's ranks......

May you all welcome our newest addition, 22calgal!!! O0 O0 O0

Her husband tried as best as he could, coming ohhhh so close with a 207, but was continuing to deal with short stocks, reluctant ammo, & sticky mags to throw him off just that tiny bit that kept him from making the hurdle.......He will persevere...... <:)

We are looking forward to seeing more of this couple, as they begin assisting & training at our various shoots!

Go, California!! ^-^ <:) :~

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

bob 210

Congratulations 22calgal!  And with a bolt action to boot! Don't keep us in suspence........what was the score?!?!?
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

SavageShootr

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! 22CALGAL!!!!!

Somebody sign her up as an IIT. Trade that Pink hat in for an Orange one.  ;)

Good job with that bolt. Did you use that or that beautiful 10-22?

Welcome aboard. Grab a bucket, or two.

Your turn next Mr22calgal.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Fred

Quote from: SavageShootr on May 08, 2009, 01:26:32 PM

Your turn next Mr22calgal.

"Mr22calgal"?

That should be fighting words - or at least, fighting syllables!

Mr22calgal, if you don't want to be hung with that appellation, I agree with SS - better get going on those AQTs!

I'll add my congrats to 22calgal, for doing a good job.

The Orange hat is free - it only comes with a life-time obligation... :)

And as a rifleman, it's a burden you have to step up to.

"Learn to shoot today; Teach to shoot tomorrow."

O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

LayloPro

Hey now!!   @&) :~
This is California!!

We turn almost -every- Rifleman into an orange hat!!

And in this young ladies case, she wore the orange at our last event (4/18-19/09) @ Corona, to help out MrBill & Funfaler.....

But she was feeling -very- bad about not having "done it the right way", by shooting a RM score, -BEFORE- putting on the hat...... ::)

Now she has no cause for concern...... ;)

Heh! Another gal instructor for the Cali Cool Corps!! O0 O0 O0

And yes, the pink hat is cute....and the message is a challenge that Fred could love......"Shoot like a girl.....if you can!" **) **) $$-0 :))

Altho', she did use her husbands 10-22 to do the job on the AQT.....that Cricket is great for the kids, but a tad short on LOP for a "normal adult"..... %)

Rest assured, even tho' her husband is a bit "laid back SoCal style", he has the internal fortitude to press on, despite the pains & challenges.....
I have no doubt we will be handing out another olive patch & Cali rocker in the -very- near future to him...... <:) O0

"Mr22CalGal", SS????? Wouldn't that make you "MrsSavageAppleseed?"..... **) @) **)
hmmmm, that -does- have kind of a ring to it, doesn't it??  **) **) @@) **)

And yes Fred, this is a gal who has "gotten it" from the first AS she went to in Corona......she is gonna do great here......even has her list of suggested reading material now too...... O0 @@)

Ever onward!!

LLP

"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

DesertDog

Outstanding!!!

So If I'm understanding this right, if I'm teaching my friends to shoot Appleseed style and they shoot 210 under the time monkey.....They are a rifleman and I can award a patch?
DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

V

Quote from: DesertDog on May 10, 2009, 07:47:16 PM
Outstanding!!!

So If I'm understanding this right, if I'm teaching my friends to shoot Appleseed style and they shoot 210 under the time monkey.....They are a rifleman and I can award a patch?
DD
I'm not sure what the "official" rule is but personally I think I'd reserve this for people who have attended an Appleseed but didn't make RM. Its a judgment call on the particular person but there are those of the mindset, well I shot 210 on an AQT under official rules so no need to go to an appleseed. This cheats them of the experience and us of the opportunity to win an IIT. A RH or SB teaching friends, even if they tell this history background I don't think has the same effect as seeing it told in front of a crowd.

So if I had someone who'd been to an AS wanted to step up to IIT etc but is blocked by their lack of RM score then I'd give them a chance at it at a mini... but like I say, depends on the person and circumstance.

Just my $0.02
cheers
Phil

MeanStreaker

Nobody asked my opinion, and my opinion isn't worth anything... but since this is an internet board, I thought I'd offer it anyway.  ;D

I agree with V and plan to not award any Rifleman patches unless someone has been to a full Appleseed.  We all know that Rifleman means much more than just shooting 210 on an AQT.   O0
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

SamD

QuoteI agree with V and plan to not award any Rifleman patches unless someone has been to a full Appleseed.  We all know that Rifleman means much more than just shooting 210 on an AQT

That my friend is what is called a standard. I happen to think it is a good one too. O0

There is much more to being a rifleman than managing to shoot a 210 on the AQT.

Sam

Fred

While agreeing with EVERYONE on here :), I suggest the Rifleman Badge is property of RWVA and is to be given - awarded - only for performance at an RWVA Appleseed.

There may come a time when "minis" are made an official part of the AS program, but not to date - hence, it is not appropriate to award an RB for performance anywhere but at an Appleseed...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

DesertDog

V, Fred, Sam,

That makes sense.  I was just wondering, as I've been teaching friends to shoot that didn't make it to the April 19 Appleseed.  2 of them will shoot 210 soon.   I guess I was a little overambitious to get 100 RM's in CA!! ;D

DD
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

SamD

There is a great and important place in Appleseed for the mini.

#1 sometimes we just need to get to know each other in a less pressured setting than an Appleseed, where every minute is scheduled to have something going on.  Social interaction is important.

#2 some shooters need some individual observation and instruction that they couldn't get at an Appleseed because of the press of time or in some places the lack of instructor staff.

#3 a Mini is a great place to work out eqpt. bugs, try out new stuff and play with your technique.   

By all means get together, work out the bugs in your eqpt and teams, practice your delivery, train IIT's a bit, learn to observe shooters and id their issues and come up with ideas to correct them, without having to mess up the training schedule.  Cook a couple weenies and BS a bit too. It's good for you and Appleseed.

Sam

MrBill

A big part of this mini was the fact that I co-opted all of 22calgals time working April 18 and 19 and she did not get a chance to shoot even 1 AQT, even though she signed up for the event to shoot.

22calgal stepped into the breach to make Corona 2009 April 18-19 the success that it was!  Her help allowed me much greater time to be spent helping shooters individually.  She was already an Orange hat at heart at the end of her fist Appleseed, and I put her to work full time on her second!

Congratulations Jackie!  Thanks for the help April 18 and 19th and thanks for all of the help you have yet to give. 

So when is the next SoCal IBC ?

Cheers

Bill

BTW Mr22calgal shot the best stage 4 that I have ever witnessed - a 48 (96), but unfortunately had a rough stage 2 on that AQT.  He'll get there at the next 'Seed he can attend
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."  Mahatma Mohandas K. Gandhi