News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL A/S shoot thread

Started by BamBam, April 16, 2009, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamBam

There is a new FOP range in St. Augustine working on an A/S application. Wanted to see if ItsanSKS or PHenry has heard anything from the folks up here. Thanks!

BB

RLCDave

I am under the impression that PHenry has received the St. Augustine range application and is in the process of getting a shoot on the Calendar.

Several RLC members in Northeast Florida are looking forward to their first Appleseeds Shoot. I was fortunate enough to attend the Appleseeds Shoot last year in October down in Hernando County with several of my RLC of Northeast Florida brothers and sisters. All I can say is we have quite a few people stirred up and ready to attend!

PHenry and the rest of you Florida organizers are true Patriots!

Warm regards,

Dave

ItsanSKS

The above post is correct; PHenry has forwarded the Host Application Packet, and as soon as receipt is confirmed and verified, we will move ahead with scheduling an Appleseed at that venue.

NOW is the time to start promoting this event- the more people we get to show up to the first event, the liklier it is that we'll be able to hold a second!  Spread the word about Appleseed, and make sure that those that are interested in attending are familiar with this website.  *this* is the best place for current information, and is updated on a regular basis.

If you would like to assist in promoting this event by handing out promo materials to the local gun shops, sporting goods stores and other places, PM me here, or send me an email (address provided below) and I'll put you on the list for our next shipment.

Thanks in advance for all your hard work!

Eric "ItsanSKS"
Florida State Coordinator

Email:RWVA@Live.com
Phone:(813)385-3968
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

PHenry

All set - just need a date and will get one soon.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

douglas34474

We have a local radio station in Gainesville. The morning host is a very good 2A supporter. I've been able to get on his show a couple of times and at the Tea Party rally I met several people who had heard me and in fact some attended the Hernando event because it the radio show contact I made.

IMHO, I believe he would be a good person to have on our side.

Chance we can offer him a comp to the St. A event?

Douglas

PHenry

douglas34474,
U R the Man! Yes, of course we can! He's welcome at any event where I am sb and if not, I will get him in elsewhere.

Would also be great if we could get one of us on his program to give the "2 minute elevator speech"!

Please keep me apprised of your progress and kudos for 7th stepping!

Thanks,
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

douglas34474

If some one can come up with an outline of just what we want to present, I'm sure I can get on the show for a 2 minute review.

I just want to be sure that 1) Appleseed is presented in the right light and 2) that all points would be covered.

This gent, Bob Rose to put a name to him, is a strong supporter of our Constitution and gun rights and has a wide following in this area.

Let me know what you can come up with.

Douglas

PHenry

douglas,
Get with ItsanSKS, our fine state coordinator and he can hook you up with any info needed. He knows all the resources.

When it comes to promo - less is more. Too many words become a blur, where well chosen words spoken in a slow and purposeful cadence has the greatest impact (something I need a lot of work on myself).

Best to git a little "ditty" committed to memory to avoid the "deer in headlights" syndrome that results from being put on the spot!

Lemme know if I can be of any further assistance and I look forward to the results.

PH

ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

RLCDave

Great, I am glad we are close to a date!

We have some Patriots in the RLC pestering me for times! Of course I always say there will be one forthcoming!

Thank you all for the work and I look forward to the shoot. I am still estimating I will be able to bring 20 to 30 individuals of course depending on what the range will support.

Take care,

Dave

caseyblane

I was planning to go to Hinesville, Ga in October. I did not know there was a St. Augustine event in the works. I've got three definite friends wanting to go and a lot of maybes. Please let me know when there is a date!
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

ItsanSKS

I've been calling them daily, with no repsonse- all I get is voice mail.  Will keep on 'em though- don't you worry.  As soon as I have the dates figured out, I will be sure to post it.

caseyblane

Have these ranges been considered for NE FL?
http://www.attac-fl.com/   (St. Augustine)
http://friendsoftheosceola.com/  (Osceola Nat Forest)
Casey

capt.kirk1701

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but for an Appleseed this close to home, I can't resist! I can probably get a few people to come out as I have gone to Hinesville a couple of times with my son and a friend of mine and his son. Let me know.
"Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

ItsanSKS

For those of you who are local to this venue, please step up and talk to the folks that run the range.   Ask them WHEN they would like to hold an event, as we have been attempting contact, with no success.

I hope that a local would be able to get them to communicate a little more effectively.

caseyblane

I'm not sure what range it is. I have some contacts in St. Johns Co. Is it the actual FOP range. Or is it the new American Tactical Training Arms range in St. Augustine on Ag center Drive?

PHenry

To any LBOTG,
Always tell them what an Appleseeds event can bring to their table, not the other way around.

AS can bring in dollars in terms of range fees, food & bev sales, new public line shooters and new members.

I have seen this with my own eyes - I have handed a range's treasurer nearly $1000.00 in cash for a single event.

In my experience appealing to their sense of patriotism is rarely successful. Be polite, but persistent. Sometimes like a rock - an immovable object. Sometimes like a freight train - an unstoppable force. Always with bright smile and a winning way.

We hold the highest safety standards I have ever seen and I have seen many, from local ranges to NRA competitions - none of them are as strict as Appleseeds. Our instructor requirements are far more demanding than any other org.

PM ItsanSKS and get some literature and ideas - he's been there and done that. PM me if you need any additional info, as I also have experience and some successes in this area.

I will thank any who step up, in advance, for your efforts.

You see, nobody is going to save this country for us - we have to get up, get out, and do it ourselves. We owe nothing less to a bunch of determined shop keepers and farmers who gave everything 234 years ago to afford us the Liberty we are allowing the squandering of today.

PH

caseyblane

caseyblane

I created a Facebook Event Page for the shoot called "St. Augustine Appleseed".

PHenry

BamBam

Just got the news, glad to here it has come together  for OCt 10-11!

Eric, working on getting those filers out, have multiple contacts interested in participating.

Question: What is range limit for # shooters and how can we check how close to full the course is?

PHenry

BamBam,
You can always look up the number of pre-regs / capacity on the forum and the EIP, or event info page will tell you about the venue.

EIP link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8440.0

Looks like 9 pre-regs out of a cap of 200 - word needs to git out quickly in order to make this event a success.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8440.0

You can download a flier from the EIP page.

There are suggestions for promotional ideas here on the forum - word of mouth is best, but fliers at local gun shops, ranges, laundromats, bulliten boards etc. are good too.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

BamBam

caseyblane

I've been to many of the gun shops and Army Navy Surplus stores around Jacksonville and posted flyers and left them on their counters (with permission!). I still need to get to Shooters on the southside. I went by Wild West Guns and Gold the other day and they had already passed out all the flyers I had left with them so I left them a bunch more. I've sent invitations to our local Sons of Confederate Veterans group, 8 boy scout troops, and our homeschool group. I've requested an event posting in the Jacksonville paper, St. Augustine paper, Folio Weekly, the conservative talk radio station community events page (WOKV), a country music station (100.7FM) community events page, kids4jax.com, and am going to send out more flyers to some other homeschool groups. So far I have confirmed its posted for the Jacksonville paper and 100.7FM.

Tomorrow, I am going to head down to St. Augustine and visit the gun shops and Gander Mountain. I tried Wal-Mart but they wouldn't let me leave or post anything (the manager said it was advertising and would have to go  through HQs).

RLCDave told me he is planning to promote the event at an RLC meeting and I am trying hard to turn out a bunch of guys from work.

If anybody is doing flyers around Jacksonville let me know and I'll give you a detailed list of where I have already been.
Casey

BamBam

Wow!

Nice work Casey, You have hit many places on my list and many more I have not thought of. I will be out of pocket for next 2 weeks on ADT however I can swing through shops the following week. Hoping to get at least 10 via word of mouth.

PHenry

caseyblane,
Way to go sir! My red hat is off to you.
PH

caseyblane

Thanks for the encouragement. I went to the range today and gave them some more flyers, Gander Mountain let me post a flyer and put some on the counter, two gun stores in St. Augustine (one posted them and the other said they would show it to the boss for approval), DMZ Military Antiques put them on their counter, and Shooters in Jacksonville put a stack on their counter.

I'm waiting to hear back from Ancient City Range about the possibility of sharing a little standing space with them at the Jacksonville Gun Show September 26/27. She already said they would put out some flyers, but I asked her if some Appleseed folks could be there to hand out flyers and answer questions. Could anyone help do this?

marrandy

I'm looking forward to meeting you all at St. Augustine.

Do you know the names of the instructors ?

Any help you need, drop me a line

marrandy

As this will be my first event, can people give me their experience with slings. 

Make/model, the best way they use it for rifle support without introducing movement due to strain or breathing.

Thanks.

ItsanSKS

There are two types of slings that are excellent for 'usability' (technical term) and stability.

These are the "1907 sling" and the "USGI Web Sling".

Either one will work superbly for both Appleseed purposes, and general field usage.

Many people find the USGI web sling to be easier to work with, though many prefer the 1907 for a myriad of reasons. 

If you were to do a cost/benefit analysis, you would be hard pressed to pass up on the USGI web sling.  Brand new units can be purchased directly from the Appleseed Web Store, for only ~$12.50 + shipping.  Surplus slings can sometimes be found at online surplus dealers, or on Ebay and Gunbroker.   

Either of the above slings will require 1-1/4" sling swivels- be sure to inspect your rifle first, as many come standard with 1" swivels.  If you only have 1" swivels, I suggest you change them to accommodate the wider slings, as they help distribute the pressure, which results in less fatigue.

To familiarize yourself with the use of the sling, and the various positions taught at an Appleseed event, I highly recommend this video:
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
(it may be old, and black & white, but the information contained within is just as relevant today as it was some 65 years ago.)

The surest way to ensure that your heartbeat is not transmitted to the rifle is through the use of a glove, shooting jacket, and a "snug, but not tight" sling; you will find that breathing is part of the natural rhythm of firing the shot, and need not be minimized, if controlled.  Controlling/minimizing your heartbeat may be necessary for 1 MOA hits at 1,000 yards, but is not required to make repeatable, accurate hits on a man-sized target at 500 yards- which happens to be the standard required to attain the coveted Rifleman Patch.