News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL A/S shoot thread

Started by BamBam, April 16, 2009, 08:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjwilliamsjr

Itsansks is right, the WWII video is great, especially for the positions, but it only shows the 1907 sling.  This link http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm shows both the USGI sling as well as the 1907.  The second row of pics/links shows Leather Sling Help (which I am pretty sure is the 1907 sling), and Web Sling Help.  Clicking the link pulls up photos and directions.  I found the easiest way to set up the sling is to have the rifle in my hands and following the written directions and pics step by step.  Hope this helps. 

marrandy

Excellent information.

That will give me time to work up before I arrive, even if its just dry firing.

Thanks again.

Regards...Martin

marrandy

OK - another dumb question.

I have the list - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=8162.0

What do people use for ground cover that's light, waterproof, durable and gives good support.

Previous experience counts, as as I don't have appleseed experience, I thought I would pick the   'old hands'   brains.

Anything else that is missing from the list linked to above ?

Thanks again.

Regards...Martin

ItsanSKS

"The List" is fairly complete as is.  I would highly recommend the midway shooting mat, as it is weather resistant, and fairly comfortable.  Goes on sale quite often for about $25 + shipping.
Also, the USGI ground pad (seen here) works really well, and is easy to clean.

A small tarp (to put under your shooting mat) is handy for muddy days, but can collect water if it is raining.. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

douglas34474

Going to the shoot Oct 10 & 11. Anyone staying at a motel? We are looking to get a group rate if enough of us can get together.

Also, if anyone needs a ride from Dunnelln or Ocala let us know. Have room for one, maybe two.

Let me know ASAP.

Douglas
352-236-0845

marrandy

What time, approximately, does it finish on Sunday.

I have to co-ordinate with picking my wife up in Titusville.

Regards...Martin

ItsanSKS

Events typically wrap up around 5:00 or so, depending on instructor availability.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

marrandy

Well, I now can't make it.

I'm going to try for myakka/Manatee Gun and Archery Club November 28,29

I'll see you then.

marrandy

All change...again.

I can now make it   :)

marrandy

I want to personally thank Eric 'itsansks', Rick, Paul, Brian and the other instructors for the great time on Saturday.

I haven't had any instruction for over 25-years when I was in the Air Force, and that was only limited.  The appleseed instruction from the instructors was far superior.

Having only acquired my rifles last year, my recent shooting experience was limited.  At 49yrs. old, one point that soon became evident was that my new safety glasses wouldn't fit over my reading glasses.  Plus the focus point of the front sight of my 16" barreled rifle was at about 21/22".  ie. the front sight was blurred.  Not good. 

So I further want to thank Brian for the loan of his Ruger-22 with scope and some .22 ammo.  Note: to myself to look into prescription shooting glasses.

I didn't make marksmen as I blew part of the sitting AQT.  What happened...something to tell your children, your grandchildren and cousins and family with boundless laughter and mirth.

The ruger comes with 10 round squarish magazine block that is inserted and the magazine is then hidden/flush.  The instructors asked us to load 2 mags, one with 2 and one with 8 rounds, and shoot 2 targets sitting/kneeling, 5 rounds each, starting with the 2 rounds.

So we prepare...sling on (upper arm loop), sights, target NPOA.  Then they make us stand so we have to start over.  kneel/sit sights, target, NPOA, load and fire 2 rounds at the left target.  The ruger has a release lever that you pull down and it spits the magazine out.  It bounces and rolls onto the grass, bottom facing me.  I insert the second magazine, fire 2 more at the left and squeeze the trigger a fifth time...click.  Huh...I cock the lever back and look in.  Due to the angle and having the sling I see no round in the chamber, so I let it go forward and try again.  Click.  Cock the lever back, no round in the chamber, I take the butt/stock off the shoulder and slide the rifle back to see the top of the inserted magazine...no rounds in the mag.  Oh crap.  I loaded both mags with 2 rounds.  I don't believe it.  I make safe. Take the sling off and reach forward to pick up the magazine that rolled onto the grass.

You've guessed it already haven't you ?

As I bring it in and turn it over I see a round in the top.  I had loaded the 8-round mag first by mistake...ouch.

Sling back on, sights, target NPOA, load...then I hear  'cease fire' - crap again.  Aghhhhh.

By the way, I got 185.  My 4 shots kneeling were 17 points.  I'll let you all work out my likely score if I maintained the same level of score with the missing 6 rounds  ;-)

Unfortunately, I was hoping to make up for that faux paux on Sunday but the AQT wasn't going to be until 11:00 or later and I had to pick my wife up who was on a  'babes with bullets'  women only pistol course in Titusville.

The next appleseeds locally for me are:-

Myakka, FL - Oct 24-25

Hernando County, FL - Nov 7-8

Myakka, FL - Nov 28-29

Myakka, FL - Dec 12-13

We've checked our schedules and can't make the Oct 24/25 and probably the Nov 7/8 either.

The Nov 28/29 and Dec 12/13 are open for us at the moment, and that will probably give me time to get things fixed, sort out the prescription shooting glasses situation, the knee/elbow pads and the shooting mat.  In cooler states, long sleeves and long trousers take the brunt of the rubbing.  In hot climates with t-shirts and shorts, the skin on the knees and elbows takes the brunt of the rubbing as you move around and during recoil.  The nylon (or whatever) indoor/outdoor throw mat/rug got me good and my late wal-mart trip didn't find me any pads.  I should have went on to a sports store and bought volleyball knee and elbow pads.

So, in the end, I learnt a lot.  Had some issues.  Found what worked and what didn't.  Found what else I need to get.  What training I need to do before the next event.  I am also looking into a .22 rifle, semi-auto with a scope mount.  A laser pointer for dry firing so I can see my movements when I'm in position might be an option.

Again, thanks to all the instructors.  They are the best.

Huzar !!!