News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We lost a good one!

Started by Tennessee Beast, November 16, 2023, 11:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Beast

With sadness, I must inform you of the loss of TNColonel (Claude Morse).  He passed away at his home this past Sunday.  He was an amazing ambassador for Project Appleseed for over 15 years and was very committed to serving others...especially veterans.  I feel like it is appropriate that he passed on Veterans Day weekend.  Memorial services will be held December 2, 2023. Visitation 12PM-1PM and service at 1PM at Trinity Lutheran Church at 705 Wilson Avenue in Tullahoma, Tennessee. A good showing of Project Appleseed instructors at his memorial service would warm his wife Bobbie's heart. Please keep Bobbie and Claude's family in your thoughts and prayers.     

Here is his obituary:

Claude Morse, Coffee County Commissioner of District 2, has passed away.

Claude Morse was active in many community organizations, not limited to, but including:

Arnold Air Force Association Chapter, Wreaths Across America, The Arnold Community Council, Friends of the NRA, Project Appleseed, Honor Flight and was Judge Advocate for the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10904.

Memorial services will be held December 2, 2023. Visitation 12PM-1PM and service at 1PM at Trinity Lutheran Church at 705 Wilson Avenue in Tullahoma, Tennessee.

Kimberly King, Commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10904 has released this statement:

It is often said that someone who died while on active duty, gave his or her life for their country. Claude Morse did not die while he was still serving in the Air Force but I would contend that he too, gave his life for his country.

Instead of retiring to a life leisure, Claude chose to serve. He was the most active member of my VFW Post when it came to contributing to the community and volunteer work.

His involvement included working with the Arnold Community Council, AEDC Fellows Program, Honor Flight of Middle Tennessee, Highland Rim Shooters Club, Project Appleseed, Wreaths Across America, Friends of the NRA and Coffee County Republican Party.

On top of all of that, Claude was our VFW Post 10904, Judge Advocate, for the past 5 years and a Coffee County Commissioner.

Each year, our members are asked to report the total amount of volunteer hours and miles they drove when performing volunteer work. In 2022, Claude reported a mind-blowing 1,968 hours of volunteer work and 3,192 miles to perform this work.

Breaking this down, if you were to work an average 40-hour work week, the hours would total 160 hours. Each month, Claude was reporting 164 hours, equivalent to working a full time job every month of the year.

We will never forget the time we shared with Claude in our lives. And it should be noted that our Post has won the VFW National All-American Award for the past 5 years in a row.  Claude, has been an officer in our Post for the past 5 years. This is no coincidence. Claude was indeed a treasured member of our VFW Post. A true friend to his core, and devoted in every way possible to making sure his community was better.

Thank you Claude for teaching us all how to live with a servant's heart.

https://thunder1320.com/updated-coffee-county-commissioner-claude-morse-memorial-scheduled/
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Maximum Ordinate

TnColonel awarded my patch.  I was privileged to Shoot Boss many events at his range.

Most of the instructors in the Tennessee Valley trace their Appleseed lineage through TnColonel.

He was a good man and will be missed.  I'm sure the Founders he revered so much welcomed him with open arms.   :'(
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Cleveland

TnColonel awarded me my rifleman patch at Elk River Training Center many years ago. His presence here will be missed. He was a true Patriot.
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Roswell

I regret never having met Claude, but heard many good things. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest easy Rifleman.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

ArmyVet

TnColonel awarded me my rifleman patch at Manchester on Sep 2, 2018. He gave me my Orange Hat on Sep 29, 2018.

His dedication to our mission (and many others) will be missed. Rest in peace, Colonel.
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

dond

Claude came to his first event at Puryear, where I was SB. He asked that I SB at Manchester, which I did. It was the first one there, and my wife, Sarah, and I were the only Appleseeders there, with a full line. He left a true legacy in Tennessee which has fostered such an admirable and competent crew of Patriots. This is such a sad day.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

scuzzy

May the Lord welcome you into his Kingdom.

While we never met in person we've had buku PMs back and forth and I know he was dedicated to our cause. And was definitely one of our Brothers in Arms.

Rest in Peace.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

DEH

Very Definitely lost a good one.  As I recall Claude was the TN State Coordinator while he was an orange hat.  TazDevil and I drove out to Manchester in the fall of 2010 because the shoot had like 45 shooters and no Shoot Boss.  Of all the instructors that were there the only one I remember is TnColonel. Primarily because of his character and passion for service.  For some reason he just stood out.

A few pics I could quickly find.

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC,
'14, '15, '22 KD, '24-IBC

-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

Tennessee Beast

Should we wear Appleseed gear or coat and tie?
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Tennessee Beast on November 25, 2023, 12:32:30 PMShould we wear Appleseed gear or coat and tie?

Just a thought, Beast, but I should think a jacket and tie with an Appleseed lapel pin will be just right to show respect for TNColonel and all he did for our program.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Steck

May his memory be a blessing.

Tennessee Beast

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on November 25, 2023, 01:20:52 PM
Quote from: Tennessee Beast on November 25, 2023, 12:32:30 PMShould we wear Appleseed gear or coat and tie?
Just a thought, Beast, but I should think a jacket and tie with an Appleseed lapel pin will be just right to show respect for TNColonel and all he did for our program.

That is a Great idea!!!  Let's all do that!!!!
John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Hardbean

Claude helped me get my start in Appleseed.  He was always eager to help and assist attendees.  He usually brought a small gun show's worth of loaner rifles with him in the back of his van.  When he noticed me struggling with my bolt action, he loaned me one of his 10/22 hot rods without hesitation.

I graduated high school with his daughter.  He brought his pets to my father (veterinarian and Rifleman).  He was not related to us in any way but he felt like family member. 

Claude exemplified what a community member could and should be.  He will be greatly missed.

Tennessee Beast

For those who cannot make it, it will be live-streamed on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/live/FxjHEoxY97Y?si=PWo45REKIvKYVinZ
John Lancaster Spalding

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

Old Navy Doc

I just returned from Claude's memorial and funeral service. The Appleseed faithful were well represented by many from Tennessee and Alabama, I barely recognized some in their non-instructor gear.

Claude's grandson was splendid in full Army Captain's uniform. He spoke of how he shares what he learned at Manchester Appleseeds with his troops, to the benefit of them and our nation!

Claude's legacy will continue and be an inspiration to us all. I know I and my daughter were blessed to be exposed and influenced by him.

Steve
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Mrs. Smith

That's lovely. Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

BluegrassColonel

What Claude Morse means to me cannot adequately be expressed here.  As others have stated, he was a huge element in the success of Project Appleseed in Tennessee and the region.

What isn't known by most people is the massive amount of time he volunteered in a number of non-profit organizations.  In a summary of his activities in 2022 he reported 1,968 hours of volunteer work and 3,192 miles to perform this work.  He lived the admonition we make to our shooters at our benedictions to "get involved."

On a personal note, he (and the other cadre members) made an indelible impression on me at my first Project Appleseed in October 2013 at Arnold Air Force Base in Manchester, TN.  It was the first time I had ventured out of our family's world after the passing of our youngest son, Joel, in July of that year.  Several things happened that weekend that are unforgettable (Glynn Haston being patient with me and giving me an extended mag release for my son's 10/22, the heartfelt personal greeting on entering the parking lot, the history, the Instructors' encouragement, obvious care, and professionalism, among them).

However, the biggest individual impression was left by Claude.  During a break after the first "Hit's Count" target Saturday morning, he struck up a conversation with me.  I mentioned Joel's passing and he was visibly moved and expressed his condolences.  Obviously, at the "Good, Bad, and the Ugly" that evening he shared what I had told him.  Every member of the cadre approached me at some point the next day and said that they had heard about our son's passing and that they would be praying for us.  That evening, while sweeping up brass, Claude handed me a brand new USGI sling (I had been using a universal sling) and sling loops in the packages and said he wanted me to be an instructor.

When I called my wife from the road on my way home, I could hardly croak out what an impression the event had had on me and how much I wanted her and our son to attend.  Cheryl ("Little Shine") is now Applecore.

Claude involved me in several activities to help promote Project Appleseed.  He encouraged me to attend events led by other SB's for "cross-pollination."  He modeled how to care for shooters one-on-one.  He also modeled how to confront conflict as a gentleman (a rather surly military officer who insisted that the Project Appleseed - cadre and shooters alike - get off the range at AAFB).  He modeled passing positive feedback down and negative information up. 

Claude presented me with my green hat and helped me open the range to our events at Stones River Hunter Education Center.

Claude never failed to ask me how our family was during all of our telephone calls and ended them by asking me to give my best to Cheryl.

Claude's mentorship and loyal service to Project Appleseed will leave a gap that will be hard to fill.

Thank you, Claude.

In Liberty,
Greg Seneff, Sr.
"Bluegrass Colonel"
615-496-7405
appleseedtn@gmail.com
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.