News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dryfire

Started by dwylie, October 25, 2023, 09:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwylie

It has been 7 years since I shot an Appleseed, I'm getting some dryfire in.

I'm timing my 10/22 magazine change at 6 sec.

Transition during the breath cycle

My breath cycle is 2.5 sec for 25 seconds per string

Getting these 50 year old bones into sitting position in <24 seconds seems to be the challenge I'm running into.

I end up rushing shots to make the time in that string. I lean toward firing at the respiratory pause on the breath in and again on the respiratory pause on the breath out to make the time.

Does anyone else struggle on this string?
Doug Wylie
defensive-citizen.com

May 2016- Rifleman
Oct 2023- Rifleman, Orange Hat from Ghostring

Leam

Talk to the Shoot Boss, they may allow you to begin seated if the movement is an issue, or causes a safety risk. You may just have to wait until someone else shoots, though, so you don't have an advantage.

Depending on your weight to strength ratio, you may be able to do some stretches, squats, and yoga to build the flexibility. Give it time, and remember that a rifleman perseveres. Figure out what is safe, that works for you, and head in that direction.

DO NOT do the on-line video where the person puts their foot sideways to the ground and then sits! It puts a lot of wrong direction pressure on the ankles and the knees, and just ain't worth having your leg in a cast.

Roswell

I have a couple tips that should help I hope.

Building the nest is a big part of it. Get into the position you want and place the 8 round magazine to easily be reached without breaking your cheekweld. Position the 2 round closer to the trigger side knee. You want it so that when you are standing up you can put the trigger arm out palm side down so when you transition it naturally falls on that 2 round magazine. Use the support hand to maintain the rifle parallel to the ground the whole time. Practice this way over and over to drill in the muscle memory and limber yourself up. Yoga may help too to get you more limber.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

ScubaSteve

Your question was does anyone else have issues transitioning?
Honestly everyone does if they haven't practiced it a little.   If you at 24 seconds until you can get a round off you have a little more work to do.    If you can get that down to 15 to 20 seconds you'll be fine. Any faster and we need to make you an instructor. Any slower and you will have to rush your shots.

Like somebody else said you can skip the transition you just have to wait on others to fire first.

Sent from a 50+ year old with a bad leg. I transition and get my first shot off in under 15 seconds but I practice a lot.

dwylie

Thanks for the tips.

Staging the magazines better made a world of difference.

I put a 15 sec par on the shot timer and knocked out a few reps. Looks like the key is to drop your caboose into the correct angle so you don't have to find NPOA.

I used to do kneeling, but these old knees won't tolerate that anymore. I'll iron out this sitting for Sunday.
Doug Wylie
defensive-citizen.com

May 2016- Rifleman

Rattlehead

Quote from: dwylie on October 25, 2023, 07:55:22 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Staging the magazines better made a world of difference.

I put a 15 sec par on the shot timer and knocked out a few reps. Looks like the key is to drop your caboose into the correct angle so you don't have to find NPOA.

I used to do kneeling, but these old knees won't tolerate that anymore. I'll iron out this sitting for Sunday.

You still should be verifying that your NPOA is on the center of the target, but yes, getting the angle and position right the first time means that you're likely to verify a correct NPOA; further, if the NPOA isn't on target, the adjustments to correct it should be small (e.g. a single adjustment does the trick).

dwylie

Great training today.

Ghostring ran a great Appleseed

I really appreciate Flighttime taking me under his wing and encouraging me.
Doug Wylie
defensive-citizen.com

May 2016- Rifleman