News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

PA IBC 2023 (Slippery Rock)

Started by EZ3, December 12, 2022, 11:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

Slippery Rock Sportsman Club has graciously agreed to host us for an Instructor Boot Camp the weekend of March 25-26, 2023.  We hope that all PA instructors are able to attend, and all border raiders are welcome!

There will be limited space available for "camping" at the range.  Indoor plumbing is available, but no showers.  Other details can be found on the range information page https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=203&eventid=9220.  Another option for accommodations would be renting a cabin at Moraine State Park, which is about 20 miles south of the range https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/MoraineStatePark/Pages/Stay.aspx

Let's get together to sharpen our skills before we dive into Patriot's Day weekend in April.  Please feel free to use this thread to ask questions, share information, coordinate ride-sharing and accommodations, etc.  Sign-ups for this event will be through the Registration page on the Project Appleseed website https://appleseedinfo.org/citizen/?registerlink=https://goappleseednow.org/?event=slippery-rock-pa-instructor-boot-camp-march-25-26-2023.  Please do not sign up as an Instructor for this event without contacting me first: 724-650-8508 or pa@appleseedinfo.org

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Charles McKinley

It is my home range.  Let me know if there are any questions.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Crazyduckhunter

Signed up.
Put me down as "camping" for the event.
Let me know what if anything you would like me to do.
CDH

EZ3

Quote from: Crazyduckhunter on December 22, 2022, 11:27:12 AM
Signed up.
Put me down as "camping" for the event.
Let me know what if anything you would like me to do.
CDH

Bring some orange hats and red hats so it doesn't become just an SB BS session.   ::)

Seriously though, the general plan is to have the SI present to the students (SBs,RHs & IITs), then have the students break into teams under an SB who will present the lesson again, then have the students present it back to him/her.  While this is going on the SBs should be grading (filling out "report cards") on the presentations.

I'm going to have to upgrade the curriculum to align it with the newly released (thank God) IBC Manual, but that should be a lot easier than pulling stuff out of every nook and cranny on the forum like we had to do before.  Right now I'm focused on the Pistol Clinic/Pistol IBC at Mingo.  Once that is over I'll start on the IBC curriculum.

Thanks Ron!
Merry Christmas

Please note correction

Crazyduckhunter

I already reached out to a few orange hats. One of them has signed up today for it. TickMagnet.

Ohio Piper

EZ3

I was at the SRSC meeting last night and they are OK with camping onsite Friday and Saturday night.  The clubhouse is a large room, about the size of the one at Orwell, OH, with indoor plumbing and a kitchen down a side hall.  It's heated and well-lit, but the kitchen appliances may not be operational, so meals may be restricted to crock-pot style cooking or grilling.  I'm thinking refrigeration will not be a problem at that time of year.

More details will become available as we get closer to the event.

Simplicity & Precision
Lee

USSEnterpriseCV6

Just signed up, I would like to stay at the clubhouse Friday and Saturday.
Our task is to deal with the dust, but not to burn down the house in order to remove it.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

Crazyduckhunter

Month away from this IBC! Inching closer by the day! Looking forward to it.
What is the status of the kitchen again for cooking?

CDH

EZ3

I'm not sure about the kitchen, Ron.  I'll go to the meeting Wednesday and check on that and also how they want to handle the gate for the weekend (normally it needs to be locked).  We also may have to import potable water.

Lee

Crazyduckhunter

EZ3

One month to go until the IBC.  Now is probably a good time to talk about expectations and preparation.

The general plan is to have the SI (me) present lessons to the students (RHs & IITs). Then the students will be assigned to teams under a Team Leader (SBs) who will review the lesson, then have the students present it back to him/her.  While the students are presenting,  the Team Leader should be grading (filling out "report cards") on the presentations.  So, expect to be tested, and expect to be graded. 

The best way to prepare is to review the Instructor Manual prior to the IBC, and make sure to bring a copy with you.  It doesn't matter if it's paper, or stored on your phone or tablet.  Students will be expected to present the Points of Instruction (POI) to Appleseed Standard.  That's another way of saying "by the book".  You will want to spend some time watching the videos in Appleseed Academy to get a better handle on what "right" looks like.

Come to class dressed as if you were working an event.  The same dress code applies.  I will be bringing t-shirts, but if you need a new hat (to be sure you have a professional appearance at the upcoming events this year) let me know.  I'll make sure I have one on hand for you.  Red hats, if you need any Instructor gear ordered let me know and I'll order it with the shootbox.  Shoot Bosses, we're changing the event protocol for hats.  Wear your Green ones, please.

Please bring shooting mats and laser dummy rifles if you have them.  Instructors and Shoot Bosses, I'll be contacting you via PM or email about bringing other gear.

One more thing, everyone will be expected to present a 3-5 minute history lesson on a topic you will be assigned.  You will need to write your own outline for the presentation.  You will not be allowed to read word-for-word from a script.  So please come prepared.

History Assignments:

Charles McKinley          Francis Marion
Crazyduckhunter         Patrick Ferguson
bcurfman                      John Adams
Chico                            Patrick Henry
GMJoe                           David Lamson/Ruth Batherick
USSEnterpriseCV6        Hezekiah Wyman
Ohio Piper                     Jason Russell
TickMagnet                    Samuel Whittemore

You should be able to find references for these subjects in the Instructor Manual or in the History section on the forum.  If not, let me know.

Simplicity & Precision
Lee

USSEnterpriseCV6

Our task is to deal with the dust, but not to burn down the house in order to remove it.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

EZ3

Status update on the facility:

The plumbing and the kitchen are "mothballed" for the winter.  We were promised that the plumbing would be operational for the event.  The water supply has been stagnant over the winter, so our hosts recommend that we import water for all our drinking/cooking needs.  The refrigerator was working when they shut it down for the winter, so we should be able to use it.  I forgot to ask about the microwave, but it probably works, too.  There is no stove/oven.

The furnace and power supply are currently working, so barring an emergency we will have heat and light.  There are picnic tables, and also upholstered chairs to accommodate those of us with older bones.  There is also a port-a-john in case the lines get too long at the restrooms.  We will need to pack out our trash.  Cell phone reception is good, but there is no wifi.

For those who are planning to arrive Friday, what time should we expect you? 

Charles McKinley

I could bring my grill with side burner if people want.  I can also bring water.  I plan on taking Friday off so I can be at the club to leave people in.

I was thinking we might want to put up the needed 2x4s and insulation sheets on the back stops if it hasn't been done yet.  The materials are there.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Bring a cot if you are staying at the clubhouse.  Concrete is bery hard and cold to sleep on. DAMHIKT.

If you need my number send me a PM and I will get it to you.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

USSEnterpriseCV6

I'll be there on Friday, taking half the day off to leave earlier. Hopefully will be there between 5-6, but will update as I know better.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

Crazyduckhunter

I honestly have no idea what time I will be there on Friday evening if at all. It appears that I will be traveling for work that week and not sure at this time when I will be arriving home. Will have to update you later on arrival being either Friday evening or early on Saturday am.

I can speak for GMJOE: He is working 2nd shift now so most likely Sat am he will arrive.

I can bring qty2, 5 gallon jugs of uncontaminated water from Ohio.

CDH

USSEnterpriseCV6

I can bring two flats of water bottles.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

Ohio Piper

I will bring a case of water, also.  And a camp stove.
I'm planning to arrive sometime between 8-10 PM Friday night and would like to overnight in the clubhouse.

USSEnterpriseCV6

Quote from: Charles McKinley on March 02, 2023, 07:30:30 PM
I was thinking we might want to put up the needed 2x4s and insulation sheets on the back stops if it hasn't been done yet.  The materials are there.

Any tools needed for this? I can bring what we need if required.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

Charles McKinley

I have everything we would need.  The ROTC is using the range that week so we will see what repairs they do.

USSEnterpriseCV6

-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

EZ3

Looking forward to seeing some of you a week from tomorrow, and the rest of you bright and early Saturday!

What are your thoughts on meals?  Slippery Rock has plenty of restaurants and other options for food.  There is a Sheetz in town and a truck stop on the I-79 exit not far away.  There is a Giant Eagle supermarket close by.  For lunch, plan to eat on site.  We will have a "working lunch", with history presentations for our dining entertainment.

It sounds like most everyone is bringing water.  I'll bring some too, just in case.

In the evenings, if you are planning to go into town, please wear clothing without Project Appleseed logos.  I'm planning on commuting, unless the weather is bad.  The forecast for the weekend is highs in the mid-40s and a chance of snow on Saturday.

Chico has bowed out due to some home maintenance issues.  Yates, your history assignment will be Patrick Henry.

Crazyduckhunter

FOOD:

I will be bringing a Corned Beef and Cabbage to cook in a crock pot on Saturday.

CDH

cwcdl79

Nuts! I'm missing out on cabbage!

Charles McKinley

I took Friday off to be at the range to let people in.  Some local attractions to check out are Altra in Jackson Center, Ron can't leave without a CZ, Morris in Grove City they started as a muzzleloader shop and usually have black powder and ball available and a new shop just opened in Harrisville.

Let me know how early you plan to be in.

Chuck

EZ3

Quote from: Crazyduckhunter on March 17, 2023, 08:05:54 AM
FOOD:

I will be bringing a Corned Beef and Cabbage to cook in a crock pot on Saturday.

CDH

I'll bring an electric griddle and cover breakfast both days.  Breakfast sandwiches (wraps).  I'll bring some instant oatmeal for anyone who doesn't like eggs.  Also bringing an electric teapot and tea bags (caff & decaf).

USSEnterpriseCV6

I'll bring some sweet stuff for both breakfast and dessert.

The soonest I'll be there is probably going to be 3:30-4, will update day of.
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22

EZ3

OK, time for a few last-minute details!  Class will begin at 8:30AM both mornings (Sat. and Sun.), and I will try to get things wrapped up by 4:30 PM Saturday for you commuters.  Sunday I will try to get us finished earlier, but no promises.

Breakfast will be served at 7AM both mornings.  If you want breakfast but can't make it by 7, let me know and I'll make yours and put it in the refrigerator until you get there.  There is a microwave.  For lunch you are all on your own.  CDH is bringing the entree for dinner Saturday, but if you have anything you can bring for "pot luck" it would be appreciated.

The weather forecast for Friday night looks nasty (rainstorm), but Saturday evening may be OK.  If anyone is interested in having a campfire Saturday night, I can bring stuff to burn.  Make sure you bring a camp chair for around the fire ring.  There is also a pond on the property, but the water will be cold and I'm pretty sure there's a snapper in there, so swimming is not advisable.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Simplicity & Precision
Lee

USSEnterpriseCV6

Darn, I was really looking forward to bringing my swim trunks 🤪
-Francis Schaffer

Rifleman 8/28/22