News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Winterseed question

Started by ProudPapa14, October 17, 2022, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProudPapa14

How many instructors and participants would like to shoot a 25m event in Minnesota in February?  I know I have one MN instructor who has that pretty blue patch and he's really looking for more people in MN to have the icicle patch.  While I personally don't like cold weather, I will put an event on the schedule if I get enough committed souls for it.

I'm looking at the weekend of Feb 18-19 (President's Day weekend) or Feb 25-26.  To be hosted at the Monticello Sportsmen Club.  We'd have access to the clubhouse (heat) about 75 yards from the range we'd use.    I can't guarantee we'd have the full parking lot plowed, but we should have enough room for cars/trucks to park and I know a guy that has a towing service and plow service if we get stuck  >:D

I think Burnette said he'd even make the long drive up from Iowa to make it. 

Please respond to this thread or PM me your interest level.

Captain

Minnesota in February . . . brrrrrrr :) So hardcore :)
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

57plymouth

Does it have to be snowing or snow on the ground to count as a Winterseed?  Can it just be cold?  Those of us from South Carolina don't do snow, but I'm game for cold. 

Captain

Cold is generally sufficient. It may, in some cases, even be above freezing; it just has to be cold, miserable wintery weather. :)

This topic is addressed in the FAQ here.

57plymouth

Your link must be to the Instructor section.  I can't open it.

Captain

Sorry about that 57plymouth, I've seen you on the forum so often that I mistakenly assumed you were a volunteer.

The FAQs are in the instructor section and that portion just states that there needs to be a level of wintery "discomfort" in the view of the shoot boss. I've seen Winter Seeds as far south as Alabama last year (ice storm!), so it may be possible in almost any part of the country given a little help from Mother Nature.

You could also schedule a trip north :) We've had winterseed conditions in June in Wyoming and Colorado (late season snow storms) and almost every shoot from December to mid-March will be wintery.

ProudPapa14

Captain, thanks for responding.

I'm not that excited to host an event in February in MN, but I've been asked enough that I figured if I didn't confirm interest level I'd still be hearing about it next year.  I'm really hoping for 8-10 inches of fluffy snow so that we can build our positions and have the mats / tarps conform to our shapes so I can walk down the line and identify positioning errors just from the snow angels the shooters leave behind
>:D

57plymouth

Quote from: ProudPapa14 on October 17, 2022, 11:04:56 PM

I'm really hoping for 8-10 inches of fluffy snow so that we can build our positions and have the mats / tarps conform to our shapes so I can walk down the line and identify positioning errors just from the snow angels the shooters leave behind
>:D

Nope.  Not interested in snow. 

Burnett

[Jedi mind trick] Yes, you are interested in snow. [/Jedi mind trick]

MN Ward

I may regret this, but...

I'm in! I vote for the 18-19th, but I'll make either one work.

Burnett

Quote from: ProudPapa14 on October 17, 2022, 02:20:39 PM
I think Burnette said he'd even make the long drive up from Iowa to make it. 
I don't know if you've ever noticed, but that Burnette dude is pretty sketchy. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can tinkle into a stiff wind.
I'd be in as long as he doesn't show up.

Burnett

I keep checking but keep not seeing it on the schedule.

Burnett

Since this is getting closer, I would like to share a couple of ideas.

1. Use a LSA rather than a CLP. The colder it gets, the more CLPs like to gum up. LSA is much better in the cold. BEFORE you put the LSA on a rifle, CLEAN off all of the old CLP; the two do not play well together. Note: this is what I was taught; I have never seen it happen, but apparently they can really gum up when combined. When switching back to a CLP, the same is true.

2. Have some WD-40 available. Good for displacing water (snicker, snicker) when near freezing so that it doesn't turn to ice. Like when a dropped magazine lands in snot. (Typo that I decided to run with rather than correct) But it would probably help with that too.

Burnett

All right, who put in the order of temps in the 30's and sunny? That's not much of a Winterseed.

57plymouth

Quote from: Burnett on February 08, 2023, 10:03:10 PM
All right, who put in the order of temps in the 30's and sunny? That's not much of a Winterseed.

It would be for those of us in the south.

Theokestral