News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sequel to Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride

Started by Cowdog, March 25, 2009, 01:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowdog

I am re-reading Washington's Crossing, by David hackett Fischer, which is a kind of sequel to Paul Revere's Ride. It briefly covers the sige of Boston and the disasters of 1776 in New York, then covers the Trenton campaign in great detail.
If you liked Paul Rever'es Ride, you will love this one. A couple of things really struck me.

1. Fischer pulls no punches about the brutality of the British occupation of New Jersey. This made the 1775 occupation of Boston look benign. The organized abuse of the women of New Jersey by British officers in particular was sickening. This may be a non-tactical reason why our patriot ancestors targeted officers. 

2. A lot of professional military historians diss the miliitia. Fischer credits the miliitia for creating enough tension to give Washington victory at Trenton. The militia had achieved enough control of the countryside that the Hession commnader Rall had to use 100 men troops to safely get out messages from Trenton. The Hessions were worn out from sniping, night sorties, and general harrassment by everyday citizens in organized groups.

You will also learn about some more patriot heroes like John Mott. enjoy.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

wcmartin1

Thanks for the review.  I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, but haven't started it, yet.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Nickle

The role of the Colonial Militias is definitely understated in history.

Check the Green Mountain Boys, or even Francis Marion. Without people like them, the Continental Army would have been hard pressed to have won.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

Mark Davis

Wife wanted to go to the book store to buy a gift for little grandson. I went willingly with Washington's Crossing in mind. I came home with Liberty and Freedom,
a visual history of America's founding ideals, by David Hackett Fischer.
Only thirty pages in so far, but much easyer ploughing than Liberal Fascism by Jonha Goldberg.