News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

I have a range--------DAR interested

Started by featherblue, March 24, 2009, 04:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherblue

Location is 10 miles south of Gardnerville. (Thirty miles south of Carson City). About 9 miles north of Topaz Lake off hwy 395 in the Pinenut Mountains. Would be interested in showing this great shooting location to an RWVA/Appleseed "official" with the idea of holding an event.

I would be interested in designating the site as a "Designated Appleseed Range".  :) I need input from RWVA "honchos" inorder to proceed. Coordinates are 38 47.58 N, 119 38.24 W (this is approx. location of a 1000 yd. target actually). Firing line is east.

It would be best if someone local to the area would check this out (boots on the ground) and relay info to headquarters. I am a private in the organization. I am also a cook, so my word needs to be relayed by at least a non-cook status individual.  ;)
�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

James E

Terry:

I would be happy to volunteer as an IIT for an event at your place.

Jim

arashi

It was great meeting you at the shoot.  I'd love to have some of the photos your wife took...

From the Google map view, it looks ideal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=38+47.58+N,+119+38.24+W&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.757664,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=38.792142,-119.633324&spn=0.012058,0.019226&t=h&z=16

How maintained is Leviathan Mine Road and how far to the nearest restroom facilities?

I think the restroom availability may pose an issue.

Thanks,

John

ETA, I see the site is just 2.5 miles from the California border, but as long as it's down range, I'm OK  ;)

featherblue

Quote from: James E on March 24, 2009, 05:48:38 PM
Terry:

Jim

Thanks Jim! Would really appreciate that! Just need to get the proper folks help.

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

featherblue

Quote from: arashi on March 24, 2009, 08:05:59 PM
It was great meeting you at the shoot.  I'd love to have some of the photos your wife took...

From the Google map view, it looks ideal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=38+47.58+N,+119+38.24+W&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.757664,78.75&ie=UTF8&ll=38.792142,-119.633324&spn=0.012058,0.019226&t=h&z=16

How maintained is Leviathan Mine Road and how far to the nearest restroom facilities?

I think the restroom availibility may pose an issue.

Thanks,

John

ETA, I see the sight is just 2.5 miles from the California border. 

Hi John,

Susie will get the pictures posted some place soon.

Leviathan Mine Road is well maintained by Nevada standards. I do part, a neighbor does a part, etc. Bring four spare tires, you'll be fine.  ;D It's only 1.25 miles from hwy 395 to my super highway drive way!!

I have a porta potty a friend gave me. Also have shovels and lots of places to dig holes.   :D Somehow or other the latrine situation will be "taken care of". 

Yea, being this close to Cali is spooky. We are always on the alert for Cali-Zombies who wonder off their turf. Never have seen one though. One reason is there is a huge wilderness area between me and them full of black bears and big cats. 

smle

featherblue,

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a host app.

I'm fairly sure we can find somebody to stop by and give you advice.

As far as the outhouse issues you can try and get a couple donated for the shoots.

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

featherblue

Lets shoot! We want to do an Appleseed at our place the weekend of Aug 29-30.

Now what do we do? Help! We want to limit this first shoot to a maximum of 30 shooters. We have room for lots more but don't want to be overwhelmed this first time.    :)

-fb

Fred

Quote from: featherblue on May 02, 2009, 09:32:21 PM

Now what do we do? Help! We want to limit this first shoot to a maximum of 30 shooters. We have room for lots more but don't want to be overwhelmed this first time.    :)

-fb

fb, I admire your optimism. Forget about 'limiting...to a maximum of 30 shooters'. You'll prob have to work harder than you've ever worked in life, just to get 30 to show up...

Seriously.

Not said to discourage. Simply to let you know what reality has in store for you... @)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

featherblue

smle

featherblue,

Your dates are noted and written on the host app you sent me a while back. SS will have the EIP by the end of this weekend if not sooner. O0

smle

Franktown_Kid

Featherblue,

Last year I had a shoot at an out of the way place. I was able to rent portapots, but I had to go get them and return them. A flat bed trailer works good for that. A pick up is too high. Tie them down good and drive slow. A couple of T posts underneath and four folks to lift them and moving them around isn't too bad. You can also put one in a tractor loader bucket if you're careful. You'll have to back down grades. Keep them sort of level, spillage is real bad. Whoooie! Just don't let folks get away after the shoot, until the toilets are loaded back on the trailer. They are just too big, awkward and heavy to load by yourself.

T- posts, 2 x 2s, and wire will make a target frame. Go to an appliance store (Lowes) for appliance boxes and staple them to the 2 x 2s for target backers. Afterwards, toss the cardboard, the frame can stay up till the next shoot. I expect to replace a t post and a couple of 2 x 2s per shoot. Also painting where the T posts and 2 x 2s on the cardboard will help keep people from putting targets where the supports are - sometimes..... You can use t-posts and wire only, but one stray shot will take down the whole target line.

You can also use OSB for backers if you find some free somewhere. Also, you can get carpet for shooters mats free from apartments that are redecorating. Be creative.

Freds right, getting folks to come is the hard part.

A mistake I made was not getting contact info on folks who showed up, for future shoots and making instructors. I'm still re-meeting folks who came to the first shoot. Don't be afraid to ask folks who show up to help on future shoots. Many will want to and just are waiting to find out how they can help. Also, just because they don't make Rifleman doesn't mean we don't want their help. Make sure they understand we can use them while they are becoming Riflemen.

You can also use the range afterwards to bring friends, prior attendees who live nearby, etc., over for mini A/Ss any time. These folks will eventually become a cadre of instructors that can make your DAR sort of self sufficient.

You will find instructors and some participants will show up early to help you set up, especially if people are going to camp out at the site. Try to have materials there, and the labor will just sort of happen. Prepare as best you can, and don't worry, it'll take on a life of it's own.

Every A/S I've been to has been a little different, but they all come together somehow. And that's part of the fun.

If you need more info about specifics, feel free to PM me

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they have been resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress." - Frederick Douglass

arashi

I'd be happy to assist at your shoot as an IIT.   :)

I have all of the line stuff and supplies.

Arashi

featherblue

Franktown_Kid & arashi,

Thanks for the info, tips and offer to help! The porta poti deal is handled. We have lots of T posts and other fence building crap here so putting up the target backers will be taken care of too. My wife can get cardboard, so that is handled too.

If we need something, we'll holler! We have no line equipment. I have some rat and mouse infested old carpet we can use for folks to lay on!  ;D Just kidding, my Doberman has debs on that! :D 

Sure is nice arashi offered to be an instructor!! We want to hear more revolutionary war history too!! I am half way through Fischer's, Paul Revere's Ride and am now a Rev War history buff! Thanks to Fred getting me started by reading his SGN column.  ;) Sorry Fred, you did not get me off the couch or easy chair . . . I have neither!  O0  ;D

-fb

smle

Ok all, the EIP for Gardnerville has been sent up the ladder. If all goes well it'll be posted in about a week.

Terry ..... you're on. Make it good.

smle

glocker21

That is so very true Fred.

It took forever to a ton of driving around my state (7000 miles since I got involved with Appleseed), introducing myself, explaining the Appleseed Project, and a ton of praying that we would have attendees for the Samuel Whittemore bootcamp and two day Appleseed shoot that followed.

30+attended and we had people from Kalispell fires up about starting a range in Kalispell.

Hard work but it has all been well worth it.

Guy and his crew (Dinky, Eel, Sheepdog, Smiling Dan, I am sure I am missing someone) are absolutely tops. They were great to work with and did a bang up job.

Jerry
Glocker21
Quote from: Fred on May 03, 2009, 02:25:53 AM
Quote from: featherblue on May 02, 2009, 09:32:21 PM

-fb

fb, I admire your optimism. Forget about 'limiting...to a maximum of 30 shooters'. You'll prob have to work harder than you've ever worked in life, just to get 30 to show up...

Seriously.

Not said to discourage. Simply to let you know what reality has in store for you... @)
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

featherblue

Quote from: smle on May 10, 2009, 07:57:27 PM
Ok all, the EIP for Gardnerville has been sent up the ladder. If all goes well it'll be posted in about a week.

Terry ..... you're on. Make it good.

smle

smle,

Thanks for the help! I will do what I can to "Make it good".

-fb

featherblue

Hey glocker21,

"30+attended and we had people from Kalispell fires up about starting a range in Kalispell.

Hard work but it has all been well worth it."

You must be a darn good promoter! I know how sparsely much of Montana is populated. Kinda like central Nevada. We have more people around these parts (north/west Nevada) so with some luck, maybe I can get a decent turnout too!  :) I sure will try. Never promoted anything before, but I am dedicated to helping get the word out. Fred is dead-on about this whole "problem" and I need to do what I can while I still can.

A little secret ----- two years ago I renewed my SGN subscription on time so I would not miss any of Fred's columns.   ;)  I even started feeling bad for the Texans Fred was beating-up on!!  ;D

-fb

Fred

Quote from: Franktown_Kid on May 05, 2009, 02:41:11 AM
Don't be afraid to ask folks who show up to help on future shoots.

Not only, "don't be afraid" - this is mandatory, part of "the seventh step". Listen to FTK, and learn...

And there's more:

QuoteMany will want to and just are waiting to find out how they can help. Also, just because they don't make Rifleman doesn't mean we don't want their help. Make sure they understand we can use them while they are becoming Riflemen.

You can also use the range afterwards to bring friends, prior attendees who live nearby, etc., over for mini A/Ss any time. These folks will eventually become a cadre of instructors that can make your DAR sort of self sufficient.

Good advice, to all. But not just 'advice' - mandatory.

Glocker, good job in MT - I don't have to tell you, right? Now, let's blow on that fire and make sure it 'catches' - there's many a person who leaves an AS "fired with the spirit" who, a week later, is sleeping back on the couch ("Oh, Lord, what fools these mortals be!") - so you have to keep after them until (hopefully) you get the hook 'set'.

FB, sweat not for those poor Texans, there's nothing they like better than a good "Fred-bashing". :)

(And if they only knew how much I pull my punches, so they don't get a real bashing...) @)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Scout

Anything I can do to help, just sing out. I have had an RWVA range here for two years so I can help with some advice or answer any questions you have. Please feel free to PM me and I can get you my phone number and will be glad to chat about how to proceed with the dar and more importantly how to stay on course with keeping it promoted and the line filled. Thanks for taking the time and effort to see this through and make an important contribution to your state and the Appleseed Program.
Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

featherblue

Scout,

Thanks for the offer to help. I may be contacting you when I hit a problem. Wife and I went over to the range this evening and it looks real nice with green grass. It will be dry and brown by shoot time the end of August.

I wonder when the shoot here will be on the schedule so people will be able to pre-register.  ??? Or at least, see that my talk of a shoot is legit.

-fb

Nevada Smith

featherblue;

I'm the guy that was on your left on the firing line in Elko. (I was shooting a single-shot Kimber 82 from CMP if you recall.) I lived in your neck of the woods from 1984--1990. Back then I was looking into buying the exact parcel of property your range is on! My vision was to build a geodesic dome in the center. (Of course since the land was under water some parts of the year a built-up driveway and building foundation was in order.) Now what are the odds of meeting you in Elko at an Appleseed and having a parcel of land in common?

Anyway back on topic--have you made an inquiry with Douglas Co. and/or their Sheriff's Dept. regarding holding a shooting match there? Given the proximity of homes in the area I can image some issues arising from the sound of 30 rifles simultaneously firing! (Washoe Co. for example has an ordnance regarding discharging firearms within 1,000 feet of a residence.)
Problems worthy
of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back.
--Piet Hein

DesertDog

Quote from: James E on March 24, 2009, 05:48:38 PM
Terry:

Jim

You'll be a red hat by then!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

LayloPro

You know....there could be a whole lot of instructors that will want to "wander" on up this way for this shoot.......
FeatherBlues line could very realistically measure out to .335 of a -MILE-, giving us room for 500 shooters.........

Can you wonder why that makes this Cali kid's mouth start to salivate @ the possibilities? ^-^

This is also PhonePrones' birthday weekend.....so I guess I need to see about finding out if she is looking to 'Seed again on her B-day, like last year @ Santa Barbara......if I can, I would love to be up there for this one.....

BTW, this range also has the ability to go from the 25m to about 300m (IIRC) without moving your mat.......how's that for some cool stuff?

Check it out......

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Chris_H

Looks great, (and familiar - I was down that way for something a few years ago. Hmm...)

In any case, I am there! I've got one definite person who wants to come to an Appleseed as well - my wife! When she saw the possibility of an Appleseed shoot in Minden, she shouted "WOO HOO! I'm going to THAT one!"  ;D

I've also got two co-workers currently interested in coming to an Appleseed & learning to shoot as well. I've been working to get them to sign up for the July one in Reno, and this one might be a great second AS for them, or a first, if it turns out that they can't make it to the one in Reno.

Douglas county code regulates discharge of firearms from within 1,500 feed of an occupied dwelling, without the express permission of the owner. (500 feet for shotguns & air rifles.)

The primary concerns are likely providing advance notification to the sheriff's department and to any neighbors that might hear a bunch of rifle fire.

Since it's tentatively planned for late August, it could be worth considering checking with the East Fork Fire District on any potential fire hazards or code issues, but I don't believe there are any.

I live in Gardnerville, & can help in any number of ways, including with sheriff or fire department contacts, setup, or whatever. PM me if I can help at all & I'll give you my phone #.

Chris

LayloPro

Hey Chris....

Since FeatherBlue is the sole property owner on this 160 acres, & the range is on the other side of the hill from his residence, I'm thinking he's already given himself permission for this to be a "GO!"...... O0 ;)

Go ahead & PM him, and I'm sure he'd be happy to have the help....

I'll go ahead & see if I can get the "Kitchen pass" on this one to SB, if need be......

Even if it's warm, it'll be lovely......

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Desertrunnv

Now I am depressed you guys came all the way over to my shoot in Elko and I already have something planned that week that I can't get out of. 

I passed out over a 1000 fliers in Northern Nevada and we ended up with about 20 so Don't hold back. 

Let me know when it is availble for posting and offical sign up and I will print out fliers and pass around here for you.

bob

featherblue

Hi guys,

Just got back from our vacation.   

Since 1993 we have been shooting LOUD firearms here (.50 BMG type loud) with no complaints from any neighbors. All the neighbors are gun owners. We are going to invite all these neighbors to the shoot as well. One neighbor shot at the last Fallon AS.

I do remember you Nevada Smith! How could I forget the noise from the 30-06 you got from the CMP!!!  :~ And, it was fun watching you get kicked back six inches with each shot!!  **) 

If Chris could help that would be great! Also, Nevada Smith would be a great help. Both being local.  O0

Laylopro and Mr. Bill checked the area out and seemed to like it.

Fred doesn't think we can get 30 shooters so I don't think noise will be a 30 gun salute!  Therefore, lets get 40 shooters and make some real noise!!

-fb

featherblue

Schedule-

Just checked the schedule and we are not on it yet. :-[

Anyway, I also used google earth to measure the distances to neighbors. Closest is 2700+ feet. All are located behind a hill and approximately 180 degrees from the target direction.  O0 This closest neighbor shoots frequently with a bunch of friends on his property. (Clays mainly). And, we do not complain!

My shack is about 1200 feet away and I will not complain either.  ;D

-fb

LayloPro

Just keeping up with this......

I spoke with 22calgal & her husband yesterday....she wants to sign on to IIT at this shoot....
I sent a PM to Nickle stating that I would SB it, (or co-SB it if someone else wants to join in the fun!) then I noticed that Nickle is on his summer Guard training, so he won't be back for a bit.....
I'll PM Fred & JB & see what we can find out is the hold up on this.....

How many folks do we currently have that want in on this shoot???

Sound off here......

Chris, love to have you in on your 2nd AS here......normally, we need to have 2 AS's under our RM's belts before we Orange hat them, altho', there are exceptions.....I'm just not the one to make them......Any of the MI's can do that, normally it is Nickle......

When I spoke with MrBill about this one, he was pretty excited about the possibilities of it as well, so we could "co-SB" as we did in Elko...... O0

22calgal will be there.....as should her husband as well, hopefully under an orange hat by then as well (he is -soooooo- close!!) ^-^

Desert Dog & James E are both interested, we can pick up DD on our way up from LA if needed (gotta love AS car pooling!!) @@)

There's hotels & casinos' in Topaz Lake just down the road, or up the road to Gardnerville/Minden......

Feather, how are you set for camping there onsite?

All righty, let's keep our eyes peeled on this one, & see what we can do for it.....I'd love to have a full 500 shooter line going......would that be fun, or what??? :o :o :o

LLP

smle

The EIP was sent in about three weeks ago.
A PM has been sent to find out what has happened to it.

smle