News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gaston 1&2 October 2022

Started by pcooper2, May 16, 2022, 03:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcooper2

I have been trying to get to an Appleseed shoot with my son for years. I finally managed to catch one that was close to me and not already sold out when I checked, this past week.

I am looking forward to knocking some of the rust off my skills, and (more importantly) developing my son's.

DEH

Looking forward to seeing you there.  We have a shoot 09-10 July in Newberry.  It will not be as hot as you think as it is down in a valley next to a stream.  This event is being hosted by the Newberry pistol club.  IF there is a large turnout they might agree to let us have some more there.  @)

Not on the schedule yet, but we will be having a rimfire only event on Sat November 12 at Mid Carolina Rifle Club.  Keep checking the schedule often as there may even be more shoots added. 

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

pcooper2

I'm going to echo the other gent's sentiments, and say the idea of laying in the SC sun with a rifle in my hands all day does not appeal. Been there, done that. Granted, I won't have all the kit on that I had then, but I'm also much older and in much worse shape now.

We will see.  For now I am waiting on the targets to get here from the Appleseed store, and working on my hold and so on. I went to the range to zero with my son last weekend, and was having trouble with the sights. So much so, that I begin to wonder if I'm farther gone than I think, in the vision area (I do have trouble seeing up close). But I have been watching some of the training vids on Youtube and I think the biggest problem I had was, not getting close to the sights. Makes sense- I am trying to see through that little .042 rear sight... get up on it, dummy! The turkeyneck hold makes a huge difference, if sighting through my sights across the cul-de-sac is an indicator.

I want to get this done with irons, then I will consider going to a scope, as I want to do KD, and I really doubt I am going to be able to see a 400m popup. I am not sure I'd be able to see a 300m popup- I would really like to get on a working military range just to see, but of course that's not going to happen.

DEH

Quote from: pcooper2 on May 17, 2022, 10:26:34 AM
I'm going to echo the other gent's sentiments, and say the idea of laying in the SC sun with a rifle in my hands all day does not appeal. Been there, done that. Granted, I won't have all the kit on that I had then, but I'm also much older and in much worse shape now.

We will see.  For now I am waiting on the targets to get here from the Appleseed store, and working on my hold and so on. I went to the range to zero with my son last weekend, and was having trouble with the sights. So much so, that I begin to wonder if I'm farther gone than I think, in the vision area (I do have trouble seeing up close). But I have been watching some of the training vids on Youtube and I think the biggest problem I had was, not getting close to the sights. Makes sense- I am trying to see through that little .042 rear sight... get up on it, dummy! The turkeyneck hold makes a huge difference, if sighting through my sights across the cul-de-sac is an indicator.

I want to get this done with irons, then I will consider going to a scope, as I want to do KD, and I really doubt I am going to be able to see a 400m popup. I am not sure I'd be able to see a 300m popup- I would really like to get on a working military range just to see, but of course that's not going to happen.

Actually I appreciate your honesty about shooting in South Carolina in the summertime.  That way the next time someone in the program from up north wants to know why we don't schedule shoots in the summer  we can refer them back to this thread.

The reason we scheduled Newberry in June is because we had an opportunity with the club and we didn't want to lose that and we have had an unprecedented amount of students sign up for shoots.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

DEH

If anyone has any questions about the upcoming shoots, feel free to PM me directly or TAZDevil.

pcooper2

Quote from: DEH on May 17, 2022, 02:36:39 PM

Actually I appreciate your honesty about shooting in South Carolina in the summertime.  That way the next time someone in the program from up north wants to know why we don't schedule shoots in the summer  we can refer them back to this thread.

The reason we scheduled Newberry in June is because we had an opportunity with the club and we didn't want to lose that and we have had an unprecedented amount of students sign up for shoots.

Oh, I have not completely ruled it out. But as of now, I'm thinking no. I have a lot of stuff going on, and as I said, not partial to baking in the sun, even if it's not as bad as it is here in Charleston.

Burnett

Now that we're in your own thread, I should try to figure out how to come down for there shoot in July. It'll be just under 5 weeks post-op from back surgery, but hopefully I'll be fairly mobile by then. Could sign up to work it and maybe do my PC3. I don't know where the nearest Little Pigs is, but would HAVE to find it and let yous guys take me out to dinner. 😱 Then maybe have to go by Benning on the way home and see what it's looking like these days.

57plymouth

Go ahead and sign up for Newberry.  It may be hot, but it may not be as bad as we expect.  I'm going, and I'm a complete wuss!   :)) 

If you just don't want to go to the Newberry shoot, sign up for the October shoot at MCRC.  I'm on the list for that one as well, and I can think of no place in SC hotter than Lexington County. 

57plymouth

Quote from: Burnett on May 17, 2022, 03:53:31 PM
Now that we're in your own thread, I should try to figure out how to come down for there shoot in July. It'll be just under 5 weeks post-op from back surgery, but hopefully I'll be fairly mobile by then. Could sign up to work it and maybe do my PC3. I don't know where the nearest Little Pigs is, but would HAVE to find it and let yous guys take me out to dinner. 😱 Then maybe have to go by Benning on the way home and see what it's looking like these days.

Edited:  I misread this to be Piggie Park.  Piggie Park is overrated.  Little Pigs is indeed the best BBQ in the midlands.

Burnett

It appears that there is a chain called The Little Pigs? That's not the one I'm referring to. The one I'm talking about, once I got over the initial vinegar shock, was the best BBQ I've had. But I'm open to better, and if I'm in the area more than one night, why not do both?

57plymouth

I edited my incorrect post.

pcooper2

Quote from: 57plymouth on May 18, 2022, 05:01:43 PM
Go ahead and sign up for Newberry.  It may be hot, but it may not be as bad as we expect.  I'm going, and I'm a complete wuss!   :)) 

If you just don't want to go to the Newberry shoot, sign up for the October shoot at MCRC.  I'm on the list for that one as well, and I can think of no place in SC hotter than Lexington County.

I'm already signed up for October, along with my son. I am still thinking about Newberry

pcooper2

Quote from: 57plymouth on May 18, 2022, 05:51:08 PM
Quote from: Burnett on May 17, 2022, 03:53:31 PM

Edited:  I misread this to be Piggie Park.  Piggie Park is overrated.  Little Pigs is indeed the best BBQ in the midlands.

Only because I'm not in the Midlands ;)

Also, between the mention of BBQ and Benning, now you folks have me wanting Chicken Comers from just over the border in Phenix, AL.