News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Youth Stories needed

Started by 300berg, May 13, 2022, 06:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

300berg

Are there collections of youth stories similar to the DOM found here: https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/dom.php

I've got a group of youth at a shoot this weekend that I'd like to add engaging stories to.

GTEngineer

You'll need to look these up and put together short DOM style stories about them.
Luther Blanchard (19, Capt Davis' fifer who led the column down to the north bridge)
Sybil Ludington (16, the female Paul Revere)
Emily Geiger (16, messenger)
Austin Dabney (14, soldier)
Peter Francisco (16, soldier)
Joseph Plumb Martin (15, soldier)
Andrew Jackson (13, messenger/prisoner, yes the future president)
Deborah Sampson (16, aka Robert Shirtliff)
James Armistead (15, spy)
Peter Salem (16, reputed to have ended the life of Major Pitcairn at the Battle of Bunker Hill)
Marquis de Lafayette (18, future general)
James Monroe (18, future president)
Charles Pinckney (18, signer of the Constitution)
Henry Lee III (20, soldier)
Thomas Young (12, soldier)
Peggy Shippen (16, spy)
John Marshall (20, future supreme court justice)
John Trumbull (19, of the famous paintings hanging in the capitol)
John Greenwood (15, soldier)
Betty Zane (17, Fort Henry)

Obviously not all at the same time but those are in my back pocket to pull out should I feel that it would be a refreshing change for others to learn about these folks who would've otherwise been lost to history.

If I have women/girls in the group, favorite stories of mine are Deborah Sampson, Sybil Luddington, Molly Pitcher, Betty Zane, Margaret Corbin, Nancy Hart, etc.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleerâ„¢:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleerâ„¢ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

300berg

Thank you for the list.

I didn't know if there was some existing DOM style stories that I could use as a launching point for further research.

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: 300berg on May 13, 2022, 01:05:09 PM
Thank you for the list.

I didn't know if there was some existing DOM style stories that I could use as a launching point for further research.

You can find the girls' stories GT mentioned here: https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=60070.0
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

300berg

That girl's list is great.  You've done fantastic work curating it.  I'll learn a couple of them.

Is there something similar for Blanchard or Diamond?

JustKim

GTE -- thanks for the awesome list!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

JustKim

GTE -- thanks for the awesome list!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: 300berg on May 13, 2022, 01:33:10 PM
That girl's list is great.  You've done fantastic work curating it.  I'll learn a couple of them.

Is there something similar for Blanchard or Diamond?

When MaxOrd announced the design of the new youth patch, he told a bit about William Diamond

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=62181.0

Luther Blanchard is another matter. Not much there.  https://revive1775.com/luther-blanchard/
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24