News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Found out I have an Ancestor who answered the Lexington Alarm

Started by Impossible Girl, April 28, 2022, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Impossible Girl

I was talking with my mother yesterday and found that that I have an ancestor name Jonathan Crowell who was from Yarmouth, MA and was apparently the Captn of the militia there.  I was wondering if anyone had come across any information about him in your research?

300berg

I grew up near that town in MA.  There are a ton of Crowells still there.  Went to school with a couple.  Don't know about Jonathan, but I'll keep it in my mind. 

CarrollMS

Jonathan Crowell of Yarmouth born 1746 and another born 1750 are candidates.  I cannot find anything on him as far as Rev War service, however. See here
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M94B-MYY and another here https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KF23-DCS
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Impossible Girl

This is what I was able to find in MA muster rolls:

There area few different Jonathan Crowells listed there, but this one is my ancestor.

Tennessee Beast

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Impossible Girl

Thanks! I'm really excited to have found it out.  I knew about the ancestor who was at Bunker Hill, but I didn't know about this guy.  Interestingly enough, he is a descendant of an ancestor who came over on the Mayflower AFTER having been one of the original settlers at Jamestown! I couldn't believe that!

VietVet

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

GTEngineer

We have an instructor amongst us in WA that is a descendant of one of the patriots who participated in the Battle of Machias 1775, one of the very first naval engagements of the Revolutionary War.  He tells a great DOM story about it.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

300berg

I would love to hear that DOM!

What is the general stance on DOM outside of events of April 19th?  I've come across some neat stories, but only bring them up outside of Appleseeds (somebody got
me talking...)

Impossible Girl

GTEngineer

I am always supportive of stories of individuals outside of the DOMs (Old Men of Menotomy, Hezekiah Wyman, Jason Russell, Samuel Whittemore, and Josiah Haynes), way I see it is have a good group of stories in your back pocket and change them out to suit your audience. 

If I have youth in the group, I tell the stories of Luther Blanchard, Sybil Luddington, Emily Geiger, Austin Dabney, Peter Francisco, Joseph Plumb Martin, Andrew Jackson (yes the future president), Deborah Sampson, James Armistead, Peter Salem (reputed to have ended the life of Major Pitcairn at the Battle of Bunker Hill), Marquis de Lafayette, John Trumbull (of the famous paintings hanging in the capitol), John Greenwood.  Obviously not all at the same time but those are in my back pocket to pull out should I feel that it would be a refreshing change for others to learn about these folks who would've otherwise been lost to history.

If I have women/girls in the group, favorite stories of mine are Deborah Sampson, Sybil Luddington, Molly Pitcher, Betty Zane, Margaret Corbin, Nancy Hart, etc.

I highly recommend studying up on some of these folks and know their story, and share their story.

Another good resource, if your local chapter is welcome to it, is to reach out to the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) chapter near you and ask for stories of their ancestors, explain the mission of Project Appleseed and that you would like to share with others the stories of the heroism and sacrifices made by their ancestors to our attendees, etc.

Even better if you come across a fellow volunteer that has a personal story of their own ancestor, these things really bring to life that these aren't folks from hundreds of years ago, they are folks who have direct decedents who are living amongst us today and are enjoying the freedoms and liberties secured to them by those before them, paid by sometimes blood.

Quote from: 300berg on April 30, 2022, 06:01:53 AM
I would love to hear that DOM!

What is the general stance on DOM outside of events of April 19th?  I've come across some neat stories, but only bring them up outside of Appleseeds (somebody got me talking...)
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA