News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Antioch, TN - Stones River HEC 25 meter event - April 23 & 24, 2022

Started by BluegrassColonel, April 26, 2022, 06:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluegrassColonel

April 23 & 24 were very sunny, and somewhat windy, days in Antioch, Tennessee.  Fortunately, it was not as windy as during the March event at the same facility.

As usual, the classroom and range are very good facilities, and the range personnel are more than welcoming to the Project Appleseed shooters and Instructor Cadre.

Though registration was originally low, eventually 8 people registered to shoot for the weekend.  On Sunday 6 of the original shooters returned, but 4 of those had to leave early for family events or to drive home.

The Instructors universally agreed that the shooters all had exemplary "teachable attitudes."  One obviously experienced shooter even commented on his effort to implement our instruction and do it "our" way.

The day started off with the Introduction and First Strike.  The shooters were attentive and engaged.  There was a 10-year-old shooter at this event, and he was energetic and participated in every aspect of the event.  I never saw his energy, enthusiasm, or attention ebb, even though the 83-degree temperatures did sap some energy from this adult.

The popup canopies were very much appreciated, and I believe that every shooter brought water, and they were encouraged to drink often.

The range activities started off with very respectable scores on the Hits Count targets, even though there were several first-timers and a couple repeat shooters who had been away for a number of years.

The shooters did a great job with muzzle control, and I only heard the phrase, "Whose rifle is this?!?" from the RSO's a couple times during the weekend.

Tennessee Beast did a great job with the Second Strike during lunch and it was clear that this group of shooters were very interested in the history being presented.  Nashville Stage made an inspiring presentation of the Third Strike in the afternoon and the shooters responded enthusiastically.  They asked history-oriented questions at various times throughout the weekend.

While we did not get to an AQT on Saturday, the shooters worked hard throughout the day and the shot groups consistently improved.

As we packed up at the end of Saturday, it was very gratifying to hear some very kind compliments on the quality of instruction from the shooters.

Sunday was another sunny day.  With a slightly smaller group we had a great refresher time in the morning.

We worked through the Hits Count targets and on to some warmup strings of fire.  Soon we were shooting AQT's.  Since 4 of the shooters planned on leaving at noon, we also had the memorial volley before lunch.  There was more than one comment about how inspiring it was.

We also had an equipment issue before lunch that resulted in an out of battery discharge.  Fortunately, the situation resulted in a very minor injury and the shooter was quite clear that he wanted to continue shooting.

At lunch Dangerous Old Men stories were presented and there was some further discussion of history.  Nashville Stage and Tennessee Beast presented Known Distance information and the remaining shooters asked questions about Rimfire and regular KD's.

Back on the line the AQT's continued.  Eagle Keeper scored Rifleman on every AQT and cleaned the Hits Count target in the afternoon!  Huzzah, Eagle Keeper!

We went over our planned 4 o'clock quitting time because the shooters wanted to shoot another AQT.  The Hits Count scores improved and there were smiles all around.

When asked for feedback the shooters were very complimentary.  When asked how he liked the event, our youngest shooters said something to the effect of, "It was my favorite thing ever!  It was amazing!  I loved it!"  He also said more than once that he could not wait to be old enough to volunteer.

Thank you to each shooter who attended this event.  You were a joy to meet, and I hope you will return for future events.

My thanks also to the faithful and thoughtful cadre of Instructors in the Tennessee Valley.  I was humbled to lead Nashville Stage, Tennessee Beast, Black Knight, Palouise, and Eagle Keeper at this event.  Each of them exemplifies the quality to which Project Appleseed volunteers should aspire.
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Palousie

I'm glad I got to attend both Patriot's Day events this weekend. Below are the pictures I took. Feel free to save any you wish, but if you'd like a full-sized version of any, please contact me anytime.

Counting the morning redcoat

Busted!

Nashville Stage pulled out his garand for the memorial volley.

I nearly got hit by this piece of brass!

Ramblin' Wreck

What a great looking event. That is a great venue near Nashville for Appleseed, and they're probably the most accommodating hosts we have anywhere in the area.
It's good to see Nashville Stage rocking a battle rifle (at $1.50/round) with a proper leather sling.  ;D   Rock on brother.
The old Wreck will try to make it back up there sometime soon.
Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Cleveland

Looks like a great event. Glad to see John and Brett back out on the line.

Huzzah,
Cleveland
The highest level of mastery is simplicity. Most information is irrelevant and most effort is wasted, but only the expert knows what to ignore. James Clear

Rifleman 19April2015
KD Qualified 17Oct2015
Pistoleer™ 12Dec2020
KD Requal 11Nov2021 50/50
Pistol IBC/Charter Pistol Instructor Antioch 2-22
200y RKD Qualified 14May2022

Tennessee Beast

All I have to say is "What a Great bunch of students!"  It made my job easy!

In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe