News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

History of the V on our targets - a legendary feat of civilian marksmanship!

Started by P7, April 11, 2022, 01:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P7

Not Revolutionary War history, but relevant to Appleseed.  Someone asked me at a shoot whether the "V" on our target is worth more, so I explained that is is still just five points (Roman numeral V), but that it was used as a tie-breaker when that was the National Match target, before they went to the ten point circular targets with the X-ring.

Then I told the story of how the "V" ring came to be, which is a truly legendary story of civilian marksmanship.  The story is here, on a website originated by MAJ Dick Culver, the author of the story (and who was an important figure in rifle marksmanship history in his own right).

http://www.jouster2.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf

(Take special notice on page 4, about how George Farr used his just acquired 600-yard zero on unfamiliar rifle, applied come-ups, and got his first shot on paper at 1000 yards.)
Bradley "Brad" Foster (P7)

313-549-4956
bradley.foster@appleseedinfo.org

"The great object is that every man be armed."  - Patrick Henry

AF5US

I'm about to head off to the airport on a business trip.  Seems I've just got something new to read on the flight.  Thanks!  O0
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

509gman

Something similar happened at the start of F-class competition, I'm told; too many were shooting all Xs so they shrank it from a 1 MOA X ring to .5 MOA.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

CarrollMS

Thanks for the share... a fascinating story and one worth sharing at events when describing the target. I recall reading of Farr, but had missed or forgotten the story behind the "V"

There is a smaller2020 article on the NRA SSUSA with Dad Farr in relaxed attire and his "spotting scope" hanging at his side. https://www.ssusa.org/content/the-legend-of-george-r-dad-farr/
another describes his rifle  https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/4/21/birth-of-a-legend-the-farr-rifle

"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

Captain

What a great story! I had seen the NRA article but never the linked pdf with the extra detail. Thanks for posting that!!!
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range