News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

April 19 Patriots' Day Battle Road Hike

Started by Oz, March 18, 2022, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

From the Friends of Minute Man National Park website.  I went on this walk a number of years ago and it made a huge difference in my understanding of the events on Battle Road, and my personal connection.  Registration opens March 22.

----------

Join us for a five-mile hike along Battle Road at Minute Man National Historical Park

About this event

On April 19, 2022, join National Park Rangers for an immersive five-mile guided Battle Road trail hike at Minute Man National Historical Park. Follow in the footsteps of the ill-fated British Column during the 247th anniversary of the Concord expedition. This experiential program will bring the stories of the Battle Road to life through guided interpretation and immersive living history elements. Learn about the trials and triumphs of those who experienced the bloody events of April 19, 1775.

After the program concludes at Fiske Hill, a pre-arranged shuttle bus will transport registered participants back to the parking area.

This program is free and open to the public; registration is required to reserve a seat on the post-program shuttle bus returning participants to their vehicles. Space is limited, so register early to reserve your spot on the shuttle bus! We'll provide the starting location and additional details to registered participants via email.

The four-hour program will feature loud musket fire along with other immersive living history elements and is appropriate for teens and adults; dogs are not allowed on this tour. The event is subject to cancellation in the event of adverse weather.

Please be advised that this program will be an expansive hike over 5-miles of Battle Road Trail on undulating terrain. Please bring water, a snack, sturdy walking shoes, weather-appropriate clothing, equipment, and bug spray. Park restrooms will be open at Meriam's Corner, Hartwell Tavern, and the Minute Man Visitor Center.

This event is co-sponsored by Minute Man National Historical Park, the Friends of Minute Man National Park, and Freedom's Way National Heritage Area.

To view the full lineup of events for Patriots' Day, please visit the Friends of Minute Man National Park website at https://friendsofminuteman.org/patriots-day/. For questions about the event, please contact Jarrad Fuoss at jarrad_fuoss@nps.gov. For questions about your registration or the wait list, please contact Kathleen Fahey at director@friendsofminuteman.org.

https://friendsofminuteman.org/events/#patriots-day
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Gus

Is this something that occurs every year?  I can't get there this year, but I can in 2023.

In Liberty,

Gus
"Mental notes aren't worth the paper they're written on" - Mark Twain

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen" - Jeff Cooper

Oz

The website says "new for 2022" but I wonder if that is a reflection of the pandemic canceling park events in 2020 and 2021.  When I went, several years ago, the NPS did the walk twice each year, I believe spring and fall.  I went in the fall so could not say for sure if the spring event was tied to Patriots' Day (but you'd think...right?)  The Minute Man website is not currently showing events as far out as the fall.  Wish I knew more.  Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Pop Revere

I would LOVE to do this. Maybe we could plan something in the future for the 250th Anniversary (2025) and fill the trail with Appleseeders. We could book hotels and charter busses in advance. I would be willing to help plan for the Alabama crew. Just a thought.
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

ITB

We had a bunch of the Michigan cadre go out one year for Patriots' Day to witness the re-enactments.  They're done real-time, i.e. Revere shows up in Lexington overnight, Redcoats arrive at the Green at dawn.

I was unable to go, but visited with my family a few years later.  I highly recommend it.

My daughter and I did the 5-mile Battle Road hike out of Concord towards Lexington.  It stops/ends at Fiske Hill.  We walked the full trail, out and back.  With sightseeing detours, we did about 12 miles.  Make sure you bring comfortable shoes/boots.  I didn't bring my Danners, and doing the walk in sneakers was a really bad idea.   %)
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23