News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Happy Evacuation Day (March 17)!

Started by sur+rifle, March 17, 2009, 11:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sur+rifle

Happy Evacuation Day!

What's that?  Isn't it St. Patrick's day?  Yep, but in some areas on the East Coast it is also the local holiday celebrating the evacuation of the British Troops on March 17, 1776!  That's right, on this day in 1776 the British under General Howe were forced to retreat from Boston to Nova Scotia.  From that day onward, the Redcoats were expelled from Boston.

So, along with that green beer, you might want to add a Samuel Adams!

Cowdog

Indeed I have just done that  O0 in honor of the day, and also the fact that the Pennsylvania Continentals were known as "the line of Ireland" due to so many of its soldiers were of (Scots-) Irish birth and extraction.
My avatar is the Flag of John Proctor's Westmoreland County Provincials, from 1775

sur+rifle

Hmm...maybe I will wear a kilt to the Appleseed this weekend. ;D

Matt

I'd think only the British would call it Evacuation Day, and Americans should call it Expulsion Day!
Liberty is my father, and he shall be my son.

sur+rifle

Quote from: Matt on March 18, 2009, 01:53:20 PM
I'd think only the British would call it Evacuation Day, and Americans should call it Expulsion Day!

The old joke is that when the redcoats heard the warning shots from Knox's cannons they "evacuated" themselves.   ;D