News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Promotions Opportunity

Started by Palousie, February 04, 2022, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palousie

Good morning everyone!

At last weekend's IBC, I spoke with Wreck about the possibility of getting an Appleseed booth at one or more county fairs this year as an attempt to promote the program and upcoming events. I've looked at a few counties in the area, but the most obvious one to do would be the Wilson County Fair/Tennessee State Fair because it is the biggest. There are literally millions of people that walk through the gate every year, and having a booth there would give us the opportunity to potentially reach thousands of people. Since these booths cost $$, before we commit to one, I wanted to get the word out and see if any TN instructors could commit to working a booth at the fair.

The 2022 Wilson County Fair is scheduled to be August 18-27. That's a Thursday to the following Sunday. Before you freak out about the fact that it's a whole week, the way I figure it, even if you can commit to an afternoon or two during the week, we could maybe organize a schedule or something to that effect so that one person won't have to stand there every day, all week. On weekdays, the gates open at 5 pm. On Saturday, the gates open at 10 am, and on Sunday, they open at 1 pm. The fair itself shuts down at midnight, but if you've ever been through the vendor booths, you know that it's rare for vendors to be there that late.

If anyone can commit to some time to work a booth at the fair, please respond here or message me directly ASAP. I'd like to get an idea of the probability of this as soon as we can so that we can apply for a booth. There is no posted deadline for applications, but they fill up fast, so please, please get back to me. Thanks!  O0

Nashville Stage

I'd be happy to help staff a booth. August is in my busy time of year, so I won't be able to commit until closer to the date.

Also, you could try asking about free or discounted booth space based on Appleseed's teaching of firearms safety and history. I believe Bluegrass Colonel has some experience with negotiating for table space at various events, many of which wound up being donated to us after the organizers learned that they really liked what Appleseed was about.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Palousie

Thanks for the tip! As for negotiating, I'll file that tidbit away for later. If we can't get the booth staffed, then what's the point of applying, right?

ArmyVet

Count me in for a few shifts. That's basically "around the corner" for me. There is a shoot scheduled for AUG 27-28 in McMinnville, so I will not be available for the 27th or the Friday before (preparation).
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Black Knight

I could assist for a couple of weekday evenings.
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Palousie

Thanks, y'all! I'd like to have as many people step up here as possible, but realistically, I think we could make do with 5 to 7 instructors if we can get a rotation schedule done. Everyone reach out to other instructors and see if anyone else would be interested. You know not everyone reads the forum!

OP 78

Rifleman 4/17/2021
Pistoleerâ„¢ 7/10/2021
KD qualified 9/11/2021
Rimfire Kd qualified 10/23/2021

BluegrassColonel

I would like to help if possible.

The best dates for me would be later Friday afternoon 5:30 or 6:00 (8/19), after I am done babysitting the world's greatest grandson.

Also, most any time Saturday-Sunday.  Perhaps John Opinski ("OP78") and I could carpool on Saturday and/or Sunday.  I'll have to ask him.

Greg
"Bluegrass Colonel"
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Palousie

If I were to create a visual "schedule" of what the week would look like and send it to everyone here, could ya'll put your names down for the days/times you can commit to. That way I can see if this will be possible. I'd like to get an application in this week if possible.

BluegrassColonel

Sure.  I would be happy to put it my available times.

Greg
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Black Knight

Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Palousie

I want to thank everyone's response and willingness to help. There have been some wrinkles that arose with our promotions opportunity at the Wilson County Fair. We will spend this year ironing out those wrinkles, and we will be ready to try again next year. Please keep this in the back of your mind!

ArmyVet

Just making sure I understand... we are not doing anything at the fair this year?
The difference between a novice and a master: the novice does it until they get it right. The master does it until they can't get it wrong.

Palousie

That is correct. Next year for sure, though!