News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho August 7/8 2021 AAR

Started by P7, August 09, 2021, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P7

In my view, this event was a success, although we would have preferred to have more shooters on the line.  We had five registered shooters (maximum capacity 24), two of whom called at the last minute to say they couldn't make it.  We went ahead and conducted the shoot with three students and three instructors, so they enjoyed a 1:1 instructor to student ratio.   We had very good weather, which fortunately had cooled off and cleared up after a very hot and smoky week.

We had one shooter qualify as a new Rifleman on Saturday, who continued to shoot excellent AQT scores on Sunday.  The other two shooters demonstrated substantial improvement on Sunday, and everyone seemed to enjoy and appreciate both the rifle instruction and the history presentations.

This was my "Shoot Boss in Training - 3" event, and we ran a little overtime in some areas due to my lack of experience managing a shoot.  But the Senior Instructor (Prescott) helped keep us on track, so we were able to accomplish all the required instruction on both days, as well as a substantial amount of American Revolution history.

I appreciated the efforts of Prescott and Snow Snake in making the shoot a success, and the patience and persistence of the shooters as we worked through two long days.  I am confident that they will all continue to improve, and that in due time we will have two more Riflemen.

We look forward to your comments and observations about the shoot, especially if you have ideas on how we could improve the experience.

Thanks again to everyone!
Bradley "Brad" Foster (P7)

313-549-4956
bradley.foster@appleseedinfo.org

"The great object is that every man be armed."  - Patrick Henry

Snow Snake

I'd like to add a little bit. P-7 did a great job and will certainly be a great boss performing at a high level.It's always a pleasure to observe Prescott.If you ever get a chance to be at an event with either of them,do it.I guarantee you'll enjoy it and learn something too.
What the student numbers lacked was made up for in quality.
The rain even held off until the very end...all in all...great weekend.
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Prescott

I agree with P7!  While the attendance was low, the shooters were enthusiastic and learned a lot during the weekend.   Our one new rifleman was already an accomplished marksman, but had never shot in field positions.   He was able to learn how to use a sling to support his shooting position and shot multiple rifleman scores. 

Remember to dry fire practice on the comfort of the living room floor.   A laser pointer is one of the best practice aid on the market.  A $25 laser will help reinforce good trigger control (laser dot does not move while you squeeze the trigger), the Steady Hold Factors (minimize the movement of the laser dot while in position) and NPOA shifts.

With a little practice at home, I expect that the other students will return to another AS event and earn their rifleman patches as well.   

It was a pleasure working with P7 and Snow Snake again.   The northern ID crew does a great job with the AS program, and I am happy to support their efforts anytime they need it.   I will be back up next month to run the Known Distance event on September 25/26.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln