News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sacramento Appleseed, 4/18-4/19, 2009

Started by eaglescouter, March 04, 2009, 03:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglescouter

Who is the event staff for this Appleseed, and what distances will we be shooting at?

I see some Appleseeds that talk about longer distances for centerfire on Sunday, others appear to be all short range with a rimfire focus.  Other than a great shooting and history event, what can I expect in Sacramento?

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

V

Quote from: eaglescouter on March 04, 2009, 03:36:00 PM
Who is the event staff for this Appleseed, and what distances will we be shooting at?
That would be me and Camljr at the moment. Final assignments will be decided once we get closer to the date and see what the attendance looks like.
I see some Appleseeds that talk about longer distances for centerfire on Sunday, others appear to be all short range with a rimfire focus.  Other than a great shooting and history event, what can I expect in Sacramento?
There will be three ranges available to us with capacities of 50+, 30+ and 30+. If the attendance is high and all three ranges are in use then its likely to be a 25M event simply due to the availability of instructors. The range itself has some very nice facilities for known range shooting on steel and has a thousand yard range but whether we get to use that on April 18/19th is as I say up in the air depending on attendance and instructor availability.

BaldDragn

eaglescouter, if we can't do anything but the 25m on April 18 & 19, and you want to try and put a mini together some time later we could make that happen. I'm a member at SacVally so after a quick 100y qualifier to satisfy the range master, we could try our hand on the 300yd. Maybe even get in touch with the 1000 yard crew and see if we can get them involved.

This might also be a good opportunity for the rest of the Sac area Appleseeders to pull together.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

eaglescouter

Quote from: BaldDragn on March 05, 2009, 02:32:15 PM
eaglescouter, if we can't do anything but the 25m on April 18 & 19, and you want to try and put a mini together some time later we could make that happen. I'm a member at SacVally so after a quick 100y qualifier to satisfy the range master, we could try our hand on the 300yd. Maybe even get in touch with the 1000 yard crew and see if we can get them involved.

This might also be a good opportunity for the rest of the Sac area Appleseeders to pull together.

Thanks for the feedback BaldDragn, I'm just working up my equipment list for this Appleseed trip.  If the event is only 25m then I'll leave the centerfire rifles at home.  I simply do not wish to be short on equipment for the Appleseed, as I do not want to miss out on any training opportunities.

Access to a long distance range is not a problem, my local range is good to 1,000.  :)

But, what is a mini?

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

V

Quote from: BaldDragn on March 05, 2009, 02:32:15 PM

We'd better pull the Sac area together you've got an Appleseed at that range bi-monthly after April  O0

Once the instructor cadre is in place it will be easy to run the full known distance and 25M at that facility for subsequent AS events.

A mini is an unofficial event where a bunch of shooters, usually including a qualified instructor but may just include people who have done a few appleseeds, gather at a range to shoot and practice the AS techniques and targets and share a bit of heritage. It is usually just one day or even a few hours at a public range where you can shoot offhand/sitting/prone at 25M

Cheers
Phil

eaglescouter

We did a range visit today, used the various Appleseed targets that we downloaded.  Used the M1 sling on the rimfire for the first time.  The results?  Well, they were a bit humbling.  We clearly have work to do :(

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Antibubba

I know exactly how you feel, eaglescouter.  But sometimes the most valuable lesson is learning what you don't know, followed by the resolve to learn it.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

eaglescouter

What are the registration numbers for Sacramento 4/18?  Are we close to full yet?

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Antibubba

If one in ten of the people who expressed interest at the Cal Expo show were to sign up, we'd be full already.

V, I won't be attending the 4/18-4/19 AS as a participant, but I'm still happy to do any legwork and set up that might be needed.
A rifle cannot win a war; it is just a tool.  Wars are fought and won in the hearts and minds of the people.

V

Quote from: eaglescouter on March 11, 2009, 03:02:35 AM
What are the registration numbers for Sacramento 4/18?  Are we close to full yet?
Nowhere near full yet, but don't wait.... If January was any indication it fills very quick as the date approaches. We have three ranges and can accommodate ~130 shooters :o Currently there are ~81 pre-registered.

V

Quote from: Antibubba on March 11, 2009, 03:47:20 AM
If one in ten of the people who expressed interest at the Cal Expo show were to sign up, we'd be full already.

V, I won't be attending the 4/18-4/19 AS as a participant, but I'm still happy to do any legwork and set up that might be needed.
Anyone in the area, talk to your friends, neighbors, coworkers, relatives and get them signed up for Sac Valley Shooting center on April 18/19th. If you shoot at the range, make sure fliers and SWAT reprints are in the range office, if you attend any gun shops, auto-shops, barbers, doctors and dentists waiting rooms, leave fliers and article reprints. Its all good in getting the word out.

Cheers
Phil

Antibubba

Who do I talk with to get more of the folding business cards?

V

Quote from: Antibubba on March 11, 2009, 01:54:01 PM
Who do I talk with to get more of the folding business cards?
If we are talking about the same thing here

V

Here comes the next step in the Central California explosion of the Appleseed Project!

This Appleseed will be held on Patriots Day, April 18-19, at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, 15501 Meiss Road, Sloughhouse, CA 95683.

This will be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, of the 58 simultaneous Nationwide shoots being held around the country of which nine are in California, the most shoots of any State in the Union.

Come out and joins us at one of the most outstanding ranges in the Central California and learn your heritage as an American, and also learn how to become an even better rifle shot than you are now.

You just bought a new rifle in anticipation of "Change"? We will show you how to be safe, efficient, & accurate with it.

You say you've never fired a rifle before?? No problem!! We will train you how to safely, efficiently, & correctly operate a rifle.

You don't even have a rifle of your own? Again, not a problem. Make a note in the sign up comments, & we will try our best to arrange a loaner rifle for you. Most are also available with ammo to be purchased.

Rusty? Been awhile since you last seriously shot your favorite rifle. Come knock the rust off and give the equipment a serious shake out.

You really know how to shoot? Come see if you can measure up to the standards set by the Rifleman heritage. Who knows you might stay and decide to help pass those skill on.

All applicable California rifle restrictions are in place, if in doubt to what is allowable, please refer to: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/

*No detachable box magazines may be brought into state with capacity exceeding ten rounds.  Unless you owned them prior to Jan1, 2000; then it's OK. All Tubular-magazine 22s are OK.

*"Assault weapons" ban- If you're registered with CA DOJ already, you're fine and can shoot your AK, AR15, G3 etc. with no problem.  Might want to Xerox the DOJ document and keep it in the rifle case.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" into the state.  Do not bring an unregistered "assault weapon" to the range.  Similarly, unregistered 50 BMG is not legal.

Out of state shooters, don't bring military-pattern semiautomatics as they're almost sure to fall under the "assault weapon" ban.  M1 Garand and most 10-shot fixed-magazine SKS.are OK, however.  There is one SKS exception: Zastava SKS Carbines 59/66 are considered destructive devices in California and therefore may not be purchased, possessed, imported, or kept for sale without a permit.  (Having said all that about "assault rifles", there is provision in state law for out-of-state shooters to bring "assault rifles" to CA shooting events; anybody wants to try that out might want to read the statute for themselves and consult a lawyer-welcome to California.)

Now, what is this going to cost you? Women, all under 21s, and active military, reserves, and National Guard are given free admittance. Guys, 21 & older that are not in the military will be charged $45 for one day, $70 for the full weekend if they pre register here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/245655763

If they just show up at the door, it will be $50 for one day, and $80 for the weekend, plus the range fees.
The range fees for Sacramento Valley Shooting center are $10/person/day - $3/range member/day.

We shoot at 25m (82 ft) at a reduced size Army Qualification Target, scaled for 100, 200, 300, & 400 yd shooting.
We do not require the use of specialized gear, it really is a "run what you brung" shoot. We suggest the use of between .22 - 8mm rifles.
Iron sights, Tech-Sights, scopes, semi auto, bolt action, lever action, pump action, if you have it, & want to learn how to shoot it better, bring it!!

Plan on shooting about 250 rounds of ammo, per rifle, per day. The range is our classroom, & we very much believe in teaching, & shooting.

For more information on this shoot, please check here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4705.0

There are local motels if needed. Please see the above link.

We gather at lunch on site to explain the importance of April 19, 1775, and the beginnings of our country, & our Heritage.
Plan to bring a bag lunch both days, or if you want to purchase lunch, a hot dog/snack concession will be present.

Either way, I guarantee you will not want to miss this portion of the event. Come learn about the choices made by the men and women of Colonial America, and their final response to an oppressive King. See if you can see any comparisons that might be drawn between then & now. See what your own choices are.

No tracer ammo or ammo that attracts a magnet is allowed.
Please arrive for check in by 8:30am.
We recommend you bring: Sling; shooting jacket; elbow pads; shooting mat (or carpet remnant); water/drink bottles; teachable attitude.

We have 130 spaces available, so hurry & get yourself pre-registered, so you do not miss out on this opportunity!!

For more info goto www.appleseedinfo.org     We'll see you there!!

Fred

Just thinkin'-

After the sixth para, you might add one about "Rusty? Been a while since you've shot a rifle?" followed by a seventh about "Really know how to shoot? Come see if you can measure up to the standards set by the Rifleman heritage..."

Don't want people to get the notion AS is for total newbies only...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

V

Your wish is my command.  O0

Serves my right for copying and pasting...
;)

V

Folks,

Its filling up fast!

Get your pre-reg's in now if you don't want to be disappointed.  &)

The guys'n'gals of central california are attending the April 15th Tea Party in Sacramento so we expect a big rush at the last minute for places. O0

We have room for 130 shooters, as of today we have 81 pre-registrations - only 16 days left to get your in on eventbrite.

Here's the registration link.

And if anybody has requirements for loaner rifles PM me so I can coordinate with the instructors and let you know if we can help.

Cheers
Phil "V"

V

Folks,

On the Appleseed trail I've come to realize that some amount of our Sunday drop off is not always due to ache's and pains and the ineffectiveness of modern pharmaceuticals but because some people have a serious prior commitment on Sunday's.

This is not an Appleseed policy but I'd just like folks to know that as Shootboss at Sacramento I'd be more than happy to accommodate anyone who wants to have a non-denominational service or observance before we begin the Sunday event. If anyone knows a pastor who'd be willing to hold a short service before the 8:30 kick-off I'd be happy to announce that here and let people know.

Like everything else Appleseed this is purely voluntary. For those who would prefer not to participate there are plenty of things need doing in preparation on Sunday.

Any suggestions or problems PM me.

Cheers
Phil "V"

Camljr

Looks like it is going to be a big one!   O0

Over 100 shooters pre-registered so far, with a week to go... not including walk ons.  :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~ :~

We are going to need some help with this one. If you IIT's can see fit to step up and help out, now would be the time...  <:)

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

BaldDragn

When the Tea Party pans out, we will see a nice jump in last minute pre-regs. I've been betting all along (with my very own money) that we would sell out at 130, I'm still betting on a sell out at our new number of 150. The timing is perfect, Tea Party people have already proven they know how to get off a couch and show up, they are desperately searching for an answer and WE HAVE IT!   

I will recce the overflow ranges today and talk again to our host.

I'll also be out there on the 17th to be sure our ranges are ready to go when we show up Saturday morning.

No matter what, this Appleseed will be an adventure. Most of our IITs (myself included) are as green as they get, we will have a huge crowd and I expect our manpower to be in short supply, but for me, that is perfect.

Quote from: Chesty PullerWe're surrounded. That simplifies things

We have a challenge to meet. Appleseed has never been done on this scale and we are being handed the opportunity to show we can do it. I am excited to be here, now, with the sense that we are creating history!

And I've never seen a better slice of humanity to do this with than the caliber of people I met at Piru 3 oh 9. I have perfect confidence that we will be able to rise to the challenge and do this by the numbers. With well organized leader ship from V, a few brave red hats, and handful of IITs to green to know what they are in for. **)

There will be lots of great Appleseeds going on next weekend, every one of them will be an unbeatable experience for the thousands of people we will host, and I hope each green hat, red hat and orange hat feels the same way I do about their own Appleseeds, but I truly believe the best place to be will be Sac Appleseed 4 oh 9!   

BOOYA  O0

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

BaldDragn

This just in!

Appleseed and Oath Keepers have forged a bond! The direct result of that bond is an opportunity for those that wish to participate to affirm our common oath to the Constitution of the United States we took during our Oath of enlistment, Oath of commission, Oath of Police Officer Oath of office, or Oath of citizenship. As part of this affirmation we will offer attendees the opportunity to stand next to the Oath Keepers and swear their genuine oath.

I am asking for YOUR input on this matter, so please PM me any thoughts you may have including but not limited to the following.

First and foremost we are looking for the most qualified volunteer to administer this oath. Prior experience administering the oath preferred, understanding the deep meaning of the oath a must. If you are that person, or know somebody that fits this description, that would be willing to administer this oath for us PLEASE let me know.

Second I am searching for your ideas on what other oaths fit here. I've listed the oaths I know of that are directed primarily to our Constitution, help me fill in the gaps.

Finally I am looking for help from those that see how this could be misunderstood, or misinterpreted as something it is not. Feel free to PM me your thoughts on how this could negatively affect the experience of our attendees. I will also take PMs from all those supporting this but be aware you would just be preaching to the choir.

Remember, we are trying to reach the hearts and minds of John Q Public and win the soft war.

SAPPER STEEL!

BaldDragn

Heads up, hot weather alert.

Forecast for this weekend keeps getting hotter.

Projected highs are now 85 for Saturday and 91 for Sundays AQT grind. Count on it being a few degrees hotter down in the range pits.

It's not the 100+ of mid summer but it may be a shock for people acclimated to the winter weather.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

The Tea Party Demonstration at the State Capital in Sacramento was HUGE. Balddragn, Antibubba,James E., his daughter, and I gathered at the steps to where we later learned were 5,000 assorted folks. We grabbed stacks of stuffed flyers and headed off in alternate directions. I looked for the women who had gathered to demonstrate upholding our Constitution. I then looked for young men ( hey, I gotta work it, ya know?) and they were extremely interested. I have no idea how many we handed out, but we only had one box left, and started with 4!

As I speak the dragonmeitster is loading up the bat mobile and we are heading up to help set up at Sac Valley. As he mentioned the weather is deciding to be obnoxious. So if you hear something frying on the line, that would be me, looking like a piece of bacon.........We are bringing our youngest son for the weekend, and I am ready to pummel my poor body once more. How is it possible to look so forward to so much pain?  ++)

See ya'll up there!
Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

eaglescouter

Reno gun show was packed, the lines started forming at 6am (doors don't open until 9am).  Entry line went all the way back to the registration desk by 9am.  NRA booth was near the ticket sales area, would be a great spot for an Appleseed table.....

We visited the Appleseed site in Sac this afternoon, 5pm, it looks great but no signs of life yet.  Looking forward to Saturday AM.

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

Sacramento Appleseed day one:
101 shooters on the line, temperature estimated in the mid 80's, sunny, light breezes throughout the day.

Two riflemen emerged at the end of the day, I'll let Bob210 and/or V spill the beans on the fine details of the day.

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

featherblue

Reno gun show-

Wow! My wife and I arrived at the Hotel lobby at five minutes to 9. We saw the line of people and couldn't believe it. First thing we noticed was the parking lot was over 90 percent California license plates! This is Nevada!

Most ammo was sold out before noon. The main ammo vendor said they brought two semi loads from their Grass Valley, California warehouse. Friday was a huge success too. Most AR uppers sold on that day.

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

The Tick

This weekend was great.  I want to thank the instructors.  They were great!

Jules

The weekend was more than great. And as soon as my sun fried brain can figure out why my memory card is not loading the pics, I will load the pics from the weekend. It was a bit "toasty" at the Sac shoot. %) That did not deter 106 Appleseeders gathering from far and near to participate. MY gratitude to V, the kindest Brit alive, for taking the time to help me with my scope. Thanks to Bob210, Cameron, www..... mustang guy :), Liz, Double D, Romeo's Hero ( I cannot remember everyone's forum names, sorry) and it goes without saying thanks to Balddragn. Without his encourangement, I would be blubbering in one of the porta potties up in Ione. I had equipment failure on day one, and half of day 2. And then I got sun stroke. What a disappointment. But a Rifleman persists, and here I sit today, feeling quite raisin like, getting ready to clean my rifle, and prepare for Fresno next month. 

The History this weekend was the best I had heard. And I saw a lightbulb go off in our son's head this weekend as he listened and participated in his first shoot. Our goal is to get Rifleman at the same time to become a Mother/Son team.  O0

At the end of the day when Bob210 read letters from our founding fathers, I was brought to tears. They gave so much. And so many do not know of these letters....... I will share these letters to others. I continue to proudly be a Cook, and  reaffirm my committment to Appleseed.
If I left anyone out, I apologize. I blame it only on having a fried brain.  As I sit here, I am getting weepy. :'( This stuff is important folks. The time is now! I am not waiting for "if" the you know what hits the fan, I am preparing for WHEN it cmes to a neighborhood near me.  :~

I hope all who came to Sac for the shoot felt the  impact as strongly as I know Skyler and Rod and I did.

I am ready to shut off the cable tv and stop being a stupid American, or how does V state it? Squidgy. I don't want to be squidgy anymore.

Thank you for traveling all the way from S Cal my Brothers in arms, and for those who are closer in as well. I am proud to call you fellow Patriots. 

Your toasted fellow Appleseeder Cook,
Jules <:)

- Eleanor Roosevelt

V

Quote from: Jules on April 20, 2009, 05:10:40 PM
And as soon as my sun fried brain can figure out why my memory card is not loading the pics, I will load the pics from the weekend.

Hey Jules,

upload them to the After Action Report thread here

When I can get out of work I'm going to be trying to get mine uploaded as well.

Cheers
V

Jules

I took the memory card to Walgreens and was told as soon as I take the video clip off of V giving Balddragn his rocker, I will be able to download. DOH! I will attempt this after conferring with the expert IT's in my family.  ^-^

On an exciting note, once I got hydrated enough I ventured out to restock rations. (Am I starting to sound militia like?) I went to Starbucks and shared with the folks I know down there about my wonderful weekend. Guess what? I can post any non profit info on their bulliten boards! Whahoo! We have 2 in town and another 3 I go to when I am in Stockton. So I will post those this week. Should I advertise Fresno or Sac Valley???? Also, I talked to a woman in Safeway about my weekend, and she wrote down the website. Whahoo!

Look out California, here we come! O0

Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt