News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Where Could I Find Information About KD Events And Schedule In New England

Started by MonkMedic, April 18, 2021, 06:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkMedic

Hello from the great state of Maine.
I'm looking for more information on the structure of the long distance, or KD (known distance) events that Appleseed hosts.

In particular I am looking to see if there are any scheduled events in New England, or if not in New England, in an area or region close to us?

Also interested in how the events are structured, do they involve standing, sitting, and faring from her prone position?

Sure would appreciate any information that you might have to share.

Thanks!
The God who gave us Life, gave us Liberty at the same time. - Thomas Jefferson

Crazyduckhunter

The course of fire for a KD is the same as a regular Appleseed event. Stage one-Standing 100 yards, stage two-transition to sitting/kneeling 200 yards, Stage three-transition to prone 300 yards and stage four-slow prone 400 yards. The only difference is the distance of course. You will take sighting shots to determine either your come ups or sight adjustments for each distance before running the AQT's.

There is also Rimfire KD events. Rimfire KD events are shot on either a 100 or a 200 yard range using 22LR only. The course of fire is the same.

Not sure about events in your area. Will have to look at the shoot schedule. Here in Ohio we have two ranges that full distance Known Distance shoots are held at every year.

Roswell

Known Distance Events
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?eventtype=kd

A "Known-Distance Appleseed" is a weekend-long program that teaches the secrets of shooting out to 400 yards, including target detection and ranging; measuring and compensating for wind; scopes and reticles; MOAs and mils, boxing your sights, battle-sight zero and come-ups, and much more.

Since this material requires previous exposure to the skills taught at an Appleseed, only students who have been to at least one Appleseed can attend a "KD Appleseed." Experienced shooters will find that shooting successfully at "Rifleman distances" is a major confidence builder and an opportunity not to be missed!

RimFire Known Distance Events (done with .22s)
https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?eventtype=rkd

A "Rimfire Known-Distance Appleseed" is a program that teaches the secrets of shooting out to 100 yards or more based on the location of the range. Skills taught are ranging; measuring and compensating for wind; scopes and reticles; MOAs and mils, boxing your sights, battle-sight zero and come-ups, and much more.

Since this material requires previous exposure to the skills taught at an Appleseed, only students who have been to at least one Appleseed can attend a "Rimfire KD." Experienced shooters will find that shooting successfully at "Rifleman distances" is a major confidence builder and an opportunity not to be missed!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Tennessee Beast

Scoring may be different.  Additionally,  all the ones I have attended had only one target per stage.  No bipods.  However, bipods may be allowed at some Unknown Distance events (Typically these only occur in the south, west, or southwest).
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

MonkMedic

Excellent, thank you gents for the information, that is most helpful.

Are the same targets used at the KD as used in the 25 meter events?

I did find a shoot down in PA, so looking into that now, greatly appreciate the info.

Happy April 19th, known as Patriot's Day here in New England to you.

- Bruce

Roswell

Very similar. The same scaled silhouette, but scaled for either 100, 200 or 400 yards depending on the event and there is no shifting between targets. However, you have to compensate for wind, gravity, etc. more than a 25m event.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

MonkMedic

Rosswell,
Super, appreciate that knowledge!

I have dope on my rifle out to 1,000 yards, so understand what you mean by compensate.
I needed to know the format the of the shoot, and you did an excellent job answering that.

I did check on Fred's site for KD targets, we have plenty of the 25meter targets, which we use at our local range.
Six of my business team members are Appleseed riflemen, and have attended the clinic and earned the patch.
Where would I locate the larger KD targets for practice and training?

Thank you sir!

little buddy

MonkMedic

Outstanding sir, thank you.

Ordered up the targets, and a couple of the shirts on close out.

Rev.357

Looks like there is a 22 KD in Virginia in August, and a KD in Ohio in October.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

MonkMedic

Thank you Rev.357, a bit of a drive from Maine, but will look into it.

Nightpoison

So I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, 2021. I'm looking to do a KD next year. I would like to get a RimFire KD in, what's the outlook for the New England Region for KD events in 2024? It seems like Pennn does them, but if I can avoid that trip I would like to. Does NY or CT have any KD/Rimfire KD events?

TOMINCT

Hello Nightpoison, there might be a rimfire one in CT. There are no ranges with the 400 yard stage necessary for  CF KD event.

Best thing is check the schedule at times and something may come together. HTH
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

300berg

Littleton, NH has an 1,100 yard range (I'm a club member). 

The logistics would likely require steel to be shot at 400+ yards for scoring.  We could run paper out to 300 yards.

There is some discussion about getting a summer KD there.

Quote from: TOMINCT on October 28, 2023, 11:45:58 AM
Hello Nightpoison, there might be a rimfire one in CT. There are no ranges with the 400 yard stage necessary for  CF KD event.

Best thing is check the schedule at times and something may come together. HTH

300berg

QuoteThe logistics would likely require steel to be shot at 400+ yards for scoring.  We could run paper out to 300 yards.
The "likely" part about requiring steel, is that jeep/atv is used to get down range.  We could hang paper if we wanted to put in the time/effort.  Reservations for the long range would get exclusive use.

T. WOLF

We are planning to do a Rimfire KD in the Adirondacks next year at Chesterfield Fish & Game Club. Not on the NY event calendar yet but targeting the weekend of June 29th. TBD on another one possibly in Western NY next Fall
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780