News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Libertyseed

Started by Palousie, March 29, 2021, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palousie

So, I've been thinking about the Libertyseed that I want to host this year, and it has occurred to me that I'm not even sure what would be the best way to conduct a Litbertyseed. I've heard some say they tell all three strikes just like we would on the line, and I've heard some say they'll tell a portion of the history and talk about the program to try to entice people to the line. So, my question is - for those who have done Libertyseeds - how have you done them, and what do you think the best way to do one is?

AH1Tom

My standard LibertySeed is telling all three strikes. Of course you are also doing the preamble and benediction. That being said it depends on how much time my host has allotted and who is the target audience. I have not done a group of young people yet but I think if I did I would try to add a little more participation from the audience. Maybe have one "ride" across the stage on a hobby horse (horse on a stick, broomstick horse, whatever you want to call it) and tell everyone the Regulars are coming out. You could add characters as you time and imagination allowed.

Nashville Stage

The couple of Libertyseeds that I've helped with already had a fixed amount of time to do a presentation because we were guest speakers at a host organization's event. That helped determine how much content we covered. If you're hosting an event, then that'll be your call. Figure out how much time & attention your guests will be interested in giving.

The 3 strikes are a good option if your audience has a lot of interest and attention. They're well structured, but doing all three strikes back to back can take over an hour and might be too much for some audiences. The first strike can be a nice substitute instead of doing all three, since it has a good introduction and ending, plus a good emotional punch with Lexington.

I would say that it's always a good thing to introduce Appleseed & pitch an Appleseed clinic to the audience. Having a table set-up on the side with targets, shirts, a demo rifle (or some real ones if that's appropriate to the venue), tri-folds and business cards is nice for people who are interested to look at some of the stuff. Have a stack of Redcoat & AQT targets to give away & let people take a few home with them.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

ScubaSteve

I would agree with everything everybody said but give you another option I did.

I went to a boy scout meeting and did a liberty seed. Its intention was to get the troop to sign up for a Appleseed. Assuming my goal was reached they would attend an event so I did not want to do the strikes that they would hear at the event.  Instead I promoted my event this way.

I started out by showing them our Appleseed targets and what we would teach them how to do. I then went into history. I asked questions like did they know that Paul Revere was captured on April 19th and failed in his mission?  Some said they did but most did not know. I asked a few other questions that sparked interest but I gave them no details or gave any answers. I even asked if the first amendment to the constitution gave them the right to freedom of speech.  I did explain that they were wrong when they said yes but gave no other details.  At the end of those questions and answers I told them they would need to come to an Appleseed to learn the details of these things.

I then told the story of the battle of Ft Mchenry.  I tell it as a story about a man named Francis. I don't give the punch line (Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangled Banner) until the end of the story.)
Last I brought out some toys. I pulled out a WWI rifle and an M1 Garand.  Showed them how they worked and told them how much fun they were to shoot.

About 1/2 of the troupe came to my event.

Eagle Keeper

Handing out redcoat targets to people who want them is a good promotional thing to do.
I try to put a redcoat target in the hands of everyone who likes guns or wants to shoot better.
I have come here to chew gum and teach riflemen the art of shooting one hole groups and I'm all out of bubblegum.
   Z-man
You can't shoot perfect if you don't know what perfect looks like.
     Somebody

Nashville Stage

Hey Palousie,

Just FYI, it looks like your last post was a casualty of the forum crash on Monday and disappeared.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Palousie

Quote from: Nashville Stage on April 01, 2021, 10:26:38 AM
Hey Palousie,

Just FYI, it looks like your last post was a casualty of the forum crash on Monday and disappeared.

Aha, I had wondered. All I had done was give more information about the Libertyseed I'm trying to schedule to try and get more targeted advice. Basically, I'm working on setting up one (or two) with my local police department. Scheduling has been a challenge, so I'm not sure what kind of time slot I'll have. My goal is both to get the message of liberty out but to also get bodies to the line. 

Tennessee Beast

Let me know how I can help.
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Black Knight

Holly, when you get it scheduled, please let me know if I can help.
Black Knight
1st AS: Tuscaloosa, AL OCT  8-9, 2016
Applecore: Jun 6, 2017
AC/RSO: Jul 12, 2017
IBC: Pelham, TN Feb 23-24, 2019
Pistol IBC: Mar 5,2021

Palousie

Quote from: Black Knight on April 07, 2021, 04:59:16 PM
Holly, when you get it scheduled, please let me know if I can help.

Thank! Like I said, scheduling with them has been a nightmare, but we will get it eventually. 

Not Sure

This is probably old news to most if not everyone, but I did not see it mentioned in the thread and would hate to assume that everyone had seen these and be wrong.

There are two excellent Libertyseed presentations on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6zq_Y_IzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw76Fmqc3K0

They are long and lack a solid hook to transition to fostering Appleseed participation, but others have given some excellent ideas for the transition.

Palousie