News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is this a Good Idea ?

Started by HollywoodMarine, March 03, 2009, 04:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollywoodMarine

I have been throwing an idea around in my head  ++); I have noticed one of the best ways to get people to listen about Appleseed at gun shows is to tell them it is free  >:D What I was thinking is a flyer that has a heeding in big bold letters SHOOT FOR FREE. Then underneath explain all the rules  ;). This should be an Appleseed wide flyer that could be used anywhere. I am thinking about using it at reserve and National Guard stations, Boy Scout meetings . What you think   ++)
                                                                       HM
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!

bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

BaldDragn

Saying it's free while surrounded by those that it applies to, is the limit of my comfort zone, at a gun show that's not completely true.

Call me weird but, as irreverent as I am (and even my wife agrees I AM), Appleseed comes as close to sacred as it gets, I tip my hat to Fred, and I'm envious of his stroke of genius (and hard work I'm sure). I hope I never leave any person I've talked to with the feeling that they've been mislead in the slightest. I'd rather ride a unicycle while juggling bowling pins to get peoples attention than to even appear to offer them something that's not 100% true.
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

Quote from: BaldDragn on March 04, 2009, 12:50:12 AM
Saying it's free while surrounded by those that it applies to, is the limit of my comfort zone, at a gun show that's not completely true.

I generally attend the gun shows with BD. When I see women and children, I let them know that they, like I did, shoot for free. I let them know that's how I got to my first Appleseed ( and second, and going on third) FWIW
Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

ashrn03

Quote from: BaldDragn on March 04, 2009, 12:50:12 AM

Call me weird but, as irreverent as I am (and even my wife agrees I AM), Appleseed comes as close to sacred as it gets, I tip my hat to Fred, and I'm envious of his stroke of genius (and hard work I'm sure). I hope I never leave any person I've talked to with the feeling that they've been mislead in the slightest. I'd rather ride a unicycle while juggling bowling pins to get peoples attention than to even appear to offer them something that's not 100% true.

+1
I can't think of a faster way to screw up the Appleseed program in my area (Texas Panhandle) than to mislead people about any portion of it.  I'm careful to describe RWVA as an "American Heritage organization with an outstanding marksmanship program.  At an Appleseed you'll learn a lot about rifle marksmanship and a lot more about the events of April 19, 1775.  The program is free to youth under 20, women, and active Military, Guard, and Reserve, but Guys 21 and over pay $70 for two days.  There's no such thing as a Free Lunch."  I've yet to have a complaint from the payees.
The way to herd cats is to offer treats

ashrn03

Oops - messed up an edit.
The way to herd cats is to offer treats

bob 210

Of course the idea here is not to mislead folks, but to draw them to the gun show table by directing their focus to those attendees that are free, ie women. 20 and under and active military. Assume honest intentions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

ACP230

Why not hand out the Free Target flyers?
The website address is on them in a couple of places.
So is a short explanation of what goes on at a shoot.   

BaldDragn

Quote from: bob 210 on April 22, 2009, 03:17:17 PM
Of course the idea here is not to mislead folks, but to draw them to the gun show table by directing their focus to those attendees that are free, ie women. 20 and under and active military. Assume honest intentions.

I know the intent is good, never doubted it for a second.

It's just that the speaker must have the ability to clear up any misconceptions that might be caused by the approach. I have every confidence that Bob 210 can do that every time (I would buy a used car from him!) but I like to think I'm aware of my own limitations. I seem to be able to make myself misunderstood regularly without taking chances like the above approach.

Bottom line, each person must make the call whether or not they can pull off the "IT'S FREE*" approach.

(*for women and children, etc.)
"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Wheeler44

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread yet.... But..... What I have done at a gunshow is....Wait until a young person or woman walks by with a disinterested look on their face.... I start a conversation by asking the person..... Would YOU be interested in attending a free shooting clinic??....When whomever they are with joins in the conversation I immediately explain the FREE promotion and it's limitations/criteria...That seemed to work well.

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Double D

Quote from: ACP230 on April 22, 2009, 03:47:01 PM
Why not hand out the Free Target flyers?
The website address is on them in a couple of places.
So is a short explanation of what goes on at a shoot.   

I will actually be implementing this at the Paso Robles (Ca) gun show next month, as well as offering the riflemans challenge to those willing to step up.
"We are dedicated to this cause, but those that came before us were committed to the cause of liberty. We seem to be nearly unbelievable in today's world, but we hardly measure up to men like Issac Davis."  BaldDragn

Double D

Quote from: Wheeler44 on April 23, 2009, 01:12:13 AM
Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread yet.... But..... What I have done at a gunshow is....Wait until a young person or woman walks by with a disinterested look on their face.... I start a conversation by asking the person..... Would YOU be interested in attending a free shooting clinic??....When whomever they are with joins in the conversation I immediately explain the FREE promotion and it's limitations/criteria...That seemed to work well.

Wheeler44

That's a good one wheeler, I'll have to try it out.  along with my gunshow split personality --BD  O0
"We are dedicated to this cause, but those that came before us were committed to the cause of liberty. We seem to be nearly unbelievable in today's world, but we hardly measure up to men like Issac Davis."  BaldDragn