News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Bald Knob, AR, VETS shooting center Jan 16-17, 2021

Started by sticksnstones, January 19, 2021, 01:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sticksnstones

Chilly morning easing into sunny and warmer throughout the days was great but not nearly as good as the great folks that showed up for this event. We had a young teen there all the way up to a sweet lady that claimed to be the oldest person there. Attitudes and openness to learn was something that everyone shared. We did have several fairly experienced shooters, several first time shooters and everything in between. By the end of each day it was hard to tell that any of them were newbies at the beginning of the weekend. I was proud of them all. We made several new riflemen and those that didn't make it definitely knocked on the door. Especially proud of Charlie, our youngest, because he shot Centerfire all weekend and I watched him add each lesson and skill to his toolbox. He ended up just a few points short. Ken, Cortney and Shawn were all beginners, but showed off throughout the weekend and hopefully will return to break that plateau. Moon was definitely proficient (she shot on a rifle team 40 plus years ago) and showed that with a little coaching and knocking some rust off that once you have it, it comes naturally. The only one that beat her high score was Quinncannon. Hunter bounced around with different rifles and set ups and finally settled into a Riflemans score. Shannon joined us from Texas and shot well. Matt returned and proved his proficiency. Justin showed out and helped coach those around him. Erik also shot great and got lucky, as I forgot to baptize him after he shot a 210. Bill as usual shot great.Morgan came out of her shell. This was not her first event or her first patch but I believe she finally put it all together this weekend. I believe everyone had as good of a time as I did.
Bill asked for an orange hat and I gladly presented him one. He will be a great asset to our program. Justin also took an orange hat ( in all honesty he had accepted one before and we never completed the promotion. Morgan also asked for an orange hat and wants to gladly help spread her love for Appleseed when she goes back to college in Nebraska and when she's home on breaks. These 3 will all be great assets to the program. Thanks to the instructor Corp for making my job easy. KPUC came back to help us from Alabama. Thanks to all
"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

"These a the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in the crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."
Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

sticksnstones

Thomas Paine

Quinncannon

A very enjoyable Appleseed weekend! This group of shooters were well motivated and determined to learn the basics of rifle marksmanship and eager to hear the history of 19 April 1775! Another thing that impressed me, was the high number of young people in attendance and a fair number of, shall we say "older folks"?! All did very well, all good attitudes, enthusiasm was in the air! The lady who described herself as the oldest lady there, was very impressive. Once she shot her first Rifleman score in the 220's, she continued to shoot scores in the high 220's. She was to the left of me, Bill on the right, also shot good scores and is an asset to the program.

Congratulations to the new Riflemen and to those who took the orange hat.

"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021
Distinguished KD, 50/50, 50/50, Hot Springs, AR Oct 2021
Distinguished, Bolt Action and Semi, Bald Knob, Jan 2022

Captain

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! New riflemen and THREE NEW INSTRUCTORS - that's great! I can't wait to come back to Arkansas and participate.  :)
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

sticksnstones

Captain,
We would love to have you come and do a pistol clinic at any of the ranges or a KD event in Hot Springs. Instructors and attendees really enjoyed you SBing the event in Hot Springs
Thomas Paine

Jayhawker

Reply #16 is an awesome photograph.

It was a cold weekend, but I could have been worse. If that had been the case we could have gotten winterseed patches, which is why we scheduled it for that weekend.

It was a great bunch of shooters, all with great attitudes.

The instruction was top notch.

I'm looking forward to the next one.

swiftongal

I commented on a different feed which Quinncannon started, so this is mainly a repeat.  My first Appleseed event was beyond my expectations. I am not a hunter but have always enjoyed target shooting and plinking. This event rejuvenated me. I had difficulties that first day, but the instructors were so helpful, patient and encouraging, as were so many folks around me. Morgan gave me pointers, John gave me pointers (and was so patient t when I got on his target twice), Bill was very supportive...I could go on and on. Sticks, you sure helped me keep my frustrations at bay on that first day.  I can't wait for another event, and I may even do a pistol clinic in Huntsville, AL.  I'd love to do a KD at some point, and I'm already researching the best calibers for 400 or 600 yds.  I'd welcome any advice on that ...perhaps 6.5 creedmoor or .308.....or am I off track?
Anyway, thanks Guys! I'll see y'all again

Rustygun

Looks like an awesome event! Congrats to the new Riflemen.

Quinncannon

Swiftongal, it was a pleasure to shoot with you on the firing line! I was impressed with your perserverance and great attitude! Right off the start, seeing those tight groups you fired, I knew you would qualify and earn your Rifleman Patch! Also, I thought it was great shooting with a fellow Army veteran!

As far as a rifle for 400 and 600 yards, I recommend an AR15, one can still buy these at a decent price and possibly even find ammunition for them, though the ammo is getting scarce! Plus, your Army experience will help you right along with the AR15.

My favorite for KD? The M14, but I've been shooting one for a long time.
"This we"ll defend"

Rifleman patch, first Appleseed, N. Little Rock, April 2010.
KD qualified, Talledega, July 2016
KD qualified, Manchester, Sept 2016
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, June 2018
Infernoseed, Bald Knob, June 2018
250 Perfect score, Bald Knob, 17 June, 2018
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2019
Distinguished, Hot Springs, April 2019
Distinguished, Bald Knob, Jan 2020
Distinguished, Bald Knob,  Aug 2020
Distinguished, Bolt Action, Bald Knob, Jan 2021
Distinguished, Menifee, Arkansas Aug 2021