News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Bald Knob, AR, VETS shooting center Jan 16-17, 2021

Started by sticksnstones, January 19, 2021, 01:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swiftongal

Thx for the tip. I have a cousin here in Swifton who was in Nam and would give his eye teeth for an M14 like he carried in the jungle. I shot well with the M16 and know I'd be comfy with one. I'll be watching, but don't know if I want to get something til ammo starts becoming available.....if and when. I may have to get a new hobby....reloading!

Beavertail

This event was well worth the drive from El Paso, Texas.  I've attended a few Appleseeds in other states, and I have to say the stories I heard this weekend just seemed a little better - no offense to the other events. 

Other positives:  flush toilets, a fire to warm up by, and hotdogs.  Naturally I bring food at these events but usually it's a cold meal.  Those warm hotdogs really hit the spot.  Next time I'm out that way visiting family, I may have to plan it around an Appleseed (this time I made the trip specifically for Appleseed).

My biggest lesson learned (which is actually common sense for most folks) is not to make drastic changes to your rifle the night before an event, especially after you drive 1,000 miles.  I was plagued with a falling zero the first day - almost constantly clicking up at every point.  The next day I relocated my scope, zeroed enough to shoot Rifleman but the very next stage I was off the paper.  At that point I decided to sit out.  Not due to "quiting" but more because I was wasting ammo chasing zero.  Bill and I talked a bit on it and I'm going to take some of his advice and see what I have going on.
"Too many people learn about war with no inconvenience to themselves. They read about [it] sitting in a comfortable armchair, with their feet beside the fire.  One should read about war in the worst circumstances, when everything is going badly." - Guy Sajer

swiftongal

Will due, Shue.  I have a friend in Newport (retired deputy) who has reloaded for 40 years...I used to help him out many years ago, so I remember most of the steps...it's just reaccquainting myself with it and purchasing equipment, should I decide.  First, I would need to buy a centerfire rifle, lol.  I'm gonna take it slow, because I get real excited about things and then calm down, later, to make rational decisions.   BUT, I did make reservations at the Toad Suck campground, this morning, in plans for the Menifee event.  I'm getting ready to message Shawn and invite them to join me, should they decide to make the trip.  I will wait on my membership card to arrive before I sign up for the event.