News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru Steel Challenge and Appleseed Aug 2009

Started by V, February 28, 2009, 11:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Once again the Steel Challenge Championships will be at the Piru Steel Challenge Range (the one next to the Appleseed range) on Thu Aug 13 to Sunday Aug 16 2009.

I was shooting with the original owner of the Steel Challenge franchise this weekend and he asked if Appleseed would be interested in providing volunteer instructors to help with the NSSF "First Shots" program on the Friday and Saturday. I gave them my contact information and they will be getting in contact with me so I'll let y'all know more as I find out.

He was concerned that numbers are weak this year so was also asking for help promoting the Steel Challenge via our organization. I will do that and in return they are helping to promote AS.

I left SWAT/flyer's at the IDPA shoot and talked with a number of shooters there who will spread the word for April 18/19.

Also Mike will again give us a table at the steel challenge show and put our signs up on the big displays. So this is much like last year. The Instructor volunteers they will be looking for on the NSSF "First Shots" are experienced pistol shooters who can coach someone who has never shot a pistol before.

I have shot with Mike's ISI IDPA club for many many years so I will work to spread the AS program via them for the rest of the year.

So again lets make this a win win for each of our organizations, if we don't hang together we will surely hang separately...

Cheers
Phil

V

OK Folks,

No responses to this when I posted this before but its getting closer now.

Mike Dalton, the original owner and creator of the Steel Challenge phoned me tonight to see if we can get some of our guys at the Challenge on Friday and Saturday (8/14-15) to do the NSSF "First Shoots" program. We need folks who are experienced pistol shooters/handlers to range safety officer for groups of green people. They take care of safety training them in the classroom and then they go up in small groups to the range to shoot real pistols for the first time. He'd like half a dozen people a day to do this role supervising them on the range.

He is also given us the opportunity to have a table and banner for Appleseed at the Steel Challenge for the whole time, Thur - Sun. This together with all our first shoots RSOs wearing the Appleseed T-shirts en masse will be a great opportunity. The steel challenge is televised and attracts a lot of big name shooters and companies.

Unfortunately,  myself and Camljr are slated to be in Sacramento that weekend but there's plenty of scope for all the other SoCal people to come and do this. You'll get into the Steel Challenge for free and I have to tell you this is an exciting sport to watch let alone shoot in.

So let me know by posting here or PM'ing me and I'll put you in touch with Mike Dalton and the Steel Challenge and NSSF folks.

Cheers
Phil

Kelly's Hero

Count me in V.

I have cleared my calendar for Friday, 8/14, to help you, RWVA, and the Steel Challenge anyway I can.
I have attended the last three years of Steel Challenges as a spectator and I am familiar with and highly support the First Shots Program.

For those who have never seen the Steel Challenge in person, it is true when they say it is "the most spectator freindly shooting sport around."  I highly recommend it - come see for yourself.  It truely is the who's who of the shooting sports and the spectator even get's to try to shoot some steel in the side matches.

Please contact me to let me know how I can participate.
"Kelley's Hero"

V

PM Inbound

Quote from: Kelly's Hero on August 01, 2009, 08:37:32 PM
Count me in V.

I have cleared my calendar for Friday, 8/14, to help you, RWVA, and the Steel Challenge anyway I can.
I have attended the last three years of Steel Challenges as a spectator and I am familiar with and highly support the First Shots Program.

For those who have never seen the Steel Challenge in person, it is true when they say it is "the most spectator freindly shooting sport around."  I highly recommend it - come see for yourself.  It truely is the who's who of the shooting sports and the spectator even get's to try to shoot some steel in the side matches.

Please contact me to let me know how I can participate.

SavageShootr

I will be going out to set up the table on Thursday. I'll spend most of the time at the table.

Johnnyappleseed is going to come up on Friday and help out with the First Shots program. I think he has other plans for Saturday. 

I am in email contact with Mike. He said the First Shots begins at 1300 Friday and 0900 on Saturday. I imagine whoever is going to help will need to get there a bit earlier than that to be shown what needs to be done.

I look forward to seeing you all up there.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

V

PM inbound
Quote from: asminuteman on August 02, 2009, 08:41:03 PM
Ok V... :D

I think I'm available that Friday and Saturday *8/14-8/15*
But I'd have to say, Iv'e personnally only been at an organized pistol shoot for my quail's for CCW :~
(590 + for six different cal's and types ;D) I know my way around a handgun.  <:)
Not sure how a comp shoot functions....I could be a set of trained eyes for safety, but thats probbily it.
what say you? If I could be of use, I'll start to clear my schedule

Thanks Ken

SavageShootr

Mike Dalton has said that he still needs volunteers for Friday and Saturday RSO's for the First Shots aspect of this. We can also use help at the Appleseed table if that is more to your liking. PM V or myself and come on out to spend some time with some top notch pistol shooters. There will be a camera crew walking around. This event is televised.

The table is set up in a shaded area. Yeah it still gets warm so bring plenty of water. There is a food vendor with some excellent tri-tip, pulled pork and chicken.

A few Corporate representatives come out too. Ruger, and Hogue just to name a couple. 
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete