News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lewiston, ID, Nov 7/8, 2020, AAR

Started by Prescott, November 16, 2020, 08:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

This was my final AS for 2020.   This has truly been a remarkable year.  While many of the events were reduced in size due to the fear of the pandemic, however, the spirit of the American patriot continues to inspire me.   

This was my first Winterseed event in the Northwest.  I have had the Winterseed patches for a number of years, but have not had a worthy event to hand them out.   Well, this week, we had a worthy event.   The weather on Saturday was just cold, with a high humidity level and a high temperature in the mid 30s.   Snow arrived in the early morning on Sunday, and there was about 4 inches at the range when I showed up in the morning.  It continued to snow until 11am and contributed a couple more inches.   The rest of the day was just a typical overcast NW winter afternoon.

Eli (forum name George Ross) accepted an Orange Hat at his event.   He will make a great addition to the instructor corp in the NW and I am looking forward to working more events with him.

We had 6 shooters on Saturday, but only 4 on Sunday.  Paul has shoulder issues, and one day at the range left him locked up and in pain.   His son, Jeffrey, is still recovering from a broken arm, and a day at the range was also all he could manage.   

Of the four shooters left on Sunday, we got to see a great exhibition of marksmanship from Will and Andrew.   Both shot their rifleman scores at their first AS event and did very well.   Will shot the high score of the weekend with a 235.  Andrew was shooting iron sights and a great job of putting his previous air rifle experience to work (look at his group sizes on stage 4).

Cheryl and Nathan both showed progress over the weekend.   Getting Cheryl on a scope equipped rifle helped her focus on the fundamentals, and the accuracy and precision of her groups showed great improvement.   Remember to keep dry fire practicing at home.   You can perfect your trigger squeeze, steady hold factors and NPOA shifts on the comfort of your living room carpet.

I hope to see everyone again next spring.   I just put in a request for the weekend of May 1/2, 2021.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

pale_horse

I want to thank Prescott and Eli for their patient and observant instruction; it really made for a great weekend.

I've been shooting for a while but I've never had any in person formal instruction and I think it paid off well. Being able to watch the setup for different positions, ask questions and see the NPOA with the demo stock and laser made a big difference. Especially how little movement is needed to adjust in some of the positions.

This was my first time using a peep sight and I think I've started to like it a lot. Seems easier to focus on the front sight and not get distracted by the rear as much. Especially since focusing on the front sight is the important one (I've heard it before but appleseed made it abundantly "clear" ;)).

I still need to work on smoothing out magazine changes and transitioning into positions smoothly. There is some muscle memory that needs to be learned.

The weather also made for an interesting observation that there may be many conditions that you can encounter and being prepared but also able to adapt and improvise is an important skill.

Also thanks to everyone for helping clean up the range afterwards, it is always great to leave someplace better than you found it.

I'm looking forward to another Appleseed soon.

-A
For that pale mare who helped Mr. Whyman with his NPOA.

Arwila

Hi Prescott, Sheryl here. Thanks for all of your patience last month. I had a blast. Have talked up Appleseed to two branches of my family tree for next year.
I bought a scope as you suggested, and mounted it. Sighted it in today. Surprise, surprise, I can see now!!! My pattern at the end of today was  3 shots < 1" at 25 yards. I am very pleased. Plan to work on dry firing this winter. Lots more fun when one can see the sights and the target!
Question: in the seated phase of an AS drill, is kneeling allowed? That transition from standing to sitting takes a lot of time for this ole' gal. There is yoga, though, and I have a great resource if anyone needs one.
Many thanks. I hope our paths cross again.
Merry Christmas  ðŸŽ,,

TimOren

Quote from: Arwila on December 08, 2020, 09:37:17 PM
...uestion: in the seated phase of an AS drill, is kneeling allowed? That transition from standing to sitting takes a lot of time for this ole' gal. There is yoga, though, and I have a great resource if anyone needs one.

Yes, kneeling is an allowed position for stage 2.  Yoga and stretching are good preps for all shooting!

(I 'seed with Prescott down in Treasure Valley and sometimes make it up that way.)