News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

We lost a good one

Started by 9mm4545, November 11, 2020, 09:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo granny

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
Bruce and I were just now able to talk to Christi with the help of ever faithful, always present son Greg. She is now off breathing support and the tracheotomy is gone which has allowed her to speak. The feeding tube remains in place while food is being tried as tolerated. She can manage some chocolate however.❤️With preference being for dark chocolate.
Son Greg is the only family member allowed for the duration of stay. Thanks to using Face Time, Christi was able to hear her daughter but sight is a challenge.
For now Christi is still in the ICU while the family fights the usual battle with insurance company. For now, it's a battle for moving toward special rehab at UF.
Certainly all the outpouring of prayers has had a part in this miracle. Keep them coming please as there is a very long road ahead.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Minutemom

Thank you Lord Jesus for the miracle of healing for your precious Christie!

Janet, thank you so much for keeping us updated.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

JustKim

It sounds like she has made tremendous strides towards recovery --  that's amazing!!  Continued prayers for Christi and the family.
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Green Dragons

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK..........
Posted on FB by Anne Elizabeth Smoak
11am Wednesday 12-9-20
Mom is settled into therapy. No one is allowed anywhere in the building except her designated person, which is Anne.
She is not allowed to have any packages, gifts, or flowers, but you can send cards.
Here is her address:
Christi Smoak
c/o UFHealth Rehab Hospital
2708 SW ARCHER ROAD
GAINESVILLE, FL 32608

ALSO............if you have the means or if you can post to our like minded family:  There is a Fundraiser link -
https://www.gofundme.com/f/smoak-family-expense-fund?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp%20share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR2hRyRlEV-HFoJ50_rROfHvD5XqhKxgHmMuLUnfOhlhFUtQ4-3R5dk-Z-g

Will you take a moment to honor Smoak?  How about $9 to represent 9mm or $45 for the thought of a M1911.  It would have brought a smile to his face and it will do good for Christi who is starting rehab alone.  Thank you freinds for what ever you can do.  Much Love - Green Dragons
Rifleman -March 23,2014
Rifleman - Feb 26, 2017
ALICE Certified Instructor 2019
USAF 1987-1994

Key Rat

Green Dragon, thank you for the update and the Go Fund Me link. 

I met Glen once at an Appleseed in Hollywood a couple of years ago.  I was an instructor in training and greatly appreciated his dedication, insights and willingness to help me be a better instructor.  I know he is in a much better place now and we are praying for Christi and his entire family.
If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that, if it is comfort or money it values more, it will lose that too.

- William Somerset Maugham, Strictly Personal [1941]

rambo granny

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
FROM THE FAMILY:
Christi Update: "Today was intense. She had occupational and physical therapy. They are working on regaining function on the left side, since it's still a lot of dead weight. Please pray that her brain can learn new pathways to be able to manipulate her left arm. Right now all she can do is lift her shoulder and wiggle her fingertips. She can't make a fist or bend her fingers. Her wrist and forearm are constantly limp.  But we ended the day with some pizza ordered in and that was great comfort food : )"
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

rambo granny

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
Christi is still in rehab and now eating but not walking yet. She is on Facebook as "Christi smoak" if you'd like to leave a comment. She has a new post there. She now knows about the Go Fund Me in progress and is very touched, appreciative and says thanks to everyone.
Anne (son Greg's wife) has been staying with her. Keep prayers coming as it's a long path ahead for her.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: rambo granny on December 20, 2020, 10:51:54 PM
UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
Christi is still in rehab and now eating but not walking yet. She is on Facebook as "Christi smoak" if you'd like to leave a comment. She has a new post there. She now knows about the Go Fund Me in progress and is very touched, appreciative and says thanks to everyone.
Anne (son Greg's wife) has been staying with her. Keep prayers coming as it's a long path ahead for her.

Thank you for keeping us updated.  It's greatly appreciated.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

rambo granny

Planeman

This is a repost from the Hollywood, FL Dec 12-13, 2020 IAAR.  I was asked to repost here, so the sentiment wouldn't get lost:

I was privileged to receive many comments both in person and via email from many shooters, saying they all had an amazing time, learned so much and were very impressed with how we were able to keep everything socially distanced, safe and made it look easy!

I can't thank enough our South Florida Cadre and all those that came down from the north to make this weekend such a success!  From setup to teardown, nothing, and I mean nothing fell through the cracks!

This was our first event at HRPC since the start of Covid, and it was also the first event we've had the opportunity to share publicly the loss of our fallen Appleseed brother, Glen Smoak.  We place not one but two identical tributes for Glen on each side of the line and also placed the club's American flag at half mast.  Nothing was said about the tribute to Glen until after lunch Saturday.  He was remembered very eloquently by those of us that knew him well, we shared how he was one of the people instrumental in Project Appleseed existing in South Florida.  Cookies were passed out and raised in honor of Glen.

This AS event, will forever be personally very special to me.  Every time I turned around, out of the corner of eye, I could swear I could see Glen smiling upon us!

-Joe
"Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, now more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance.."  - Samuel Adams-- HUZZAH!!

rambo granny

UPDATE ON CHRISTI SMOAK
Christi was discharged on the evening of Dec 23 in the company of immediate family. She will be home with much therapy work ahead. Currently she is not moving her arm and her leg is in a heavy boot. No weight bearing. Greg's wife Anne is assisting and arranging home therapy.
We were blessed to talk with Christi by phone tonight. She tires easily as might be expected. Her voice is stronger and she hopes to attend church tomorrow.
Check her Facebook page "Christ Smoak" for tidbits of news. Message her through Facebook and by all means keep the prayers for healing coming.

JustKim

This is great news!  I think about Christi on a daily basis and amazed at the progress she has made.  I am also awed by witnessing her love and faith in God.  I am keeping her in my prayers and hope she knows what an inspiration she is for me and I am sure many others.
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan

Cold Warrior

Ana and I continue to pray for her healing and wisdom for the doctors.
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

stoneknives

The fund for the Smoak Family is at 80% of our goal. 
Quite honestly I would like our friends and Appleseed Family to make this happen before our mid-April goal time.
The holiday timing of this tragedy (and miracle) and the hardship caused by the co19 medical shutdown left many struggling during the holidays. But if thing have improved for you I ask of you to please remember our friends when you get a chance.

https://gofund.me/87693026
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

mattra

A day doesn't go by where I don't think about Glen. It's been difficult lately. I'm sure others hurt as well.

stoneknives

The GO FUND ME goal of $10,000 for the Smoak Family has been met.

Normally when something like this happens there is usually a round of "good job" and "atta-boys", this ain't that time.

The family has a long way to go and us meeting the fund goal will certainly help them.

BUT WE have 18 days left in the campaign and Appleseeders don't just meet goals. We exceed them. (according to Fred)

So if you have a spare buck or five lets put the cherry on the top of this thing.

https://gofund.me/87693026

"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

9mm4545

UPDATE on Christi:
Christi continues to recover, albeit slowly, from the devastating injuries she suffered. Her spirits and attitude are good and she does show slow improvement in arm and shoulder functioning (following the stroke produced by the injury). There is a problem with a possible entrapped nerve and surgery might be needed to free that but time will tell. Her vision deficits (again produced by the stroke) continue to be a problem but some prismatic glasses seem to help. Driving, unfortunately, is still not possible as her visual field is still too limited. She is living with her son and daughter-in-law in Keystone Heights and continues to see occupational and physical therapists on a regular basis. All prayers for her continued recovery are greatly appreciated and her gratitude to the Appleseed family is immense and heartfelt. As Smoak's employer was slow to release his pension and insurance money, the gofundme efforts by Appleseed was incredibly helpful and hugely appreciated. This is all for now but there will be more in the future.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Minutemom

Thank you so much for the update Bruce.  Continued prayers for Christi and family.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

9mm4545

There has been a memorial service scheduled for our fallen brother Smoak. This is what I got today from his daughter-in-law:

On Saturday November 6th, at 10:00am, we are having a celebration of life service for Glen Smoak IN PERSON. Please bring food to share. Glen loved to eat good food! After the service, everyone is invited to share a potluck meal with us in the Fellowship Hall.

For those unable to attend in person, the service will also be live streamed on the church Youtube Channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ia2tS_4ER87ie1PY57fwg/featured

1155 Orchid Avenue
Keystone Heights, FL 32656

We look forward to visiting with everyone in a few weeks!
For questions, please contact the church office: 352-473-2713
You can also reach out to me, Anne Smoak via call or text: 904-315-4069