News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY AAR September 19-20, 2020

Started by Texas T, September 27, 2020, 09:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas T

What a great event we had at the Knob Creek Gun Range. A mighty group of shooters showed up to sharpen their skills and learn about the birth of America on April 19, 1775. Before the event, the instructor team spent a few hours preparing for our guests.

We started the day with the Saturday morning Redcoat, which let each shooter know what skills they had brought with them. Needless to say, there was a little bit of room for improvement...

However, two of our esteemed group accepted and met the challenge on the first attempt.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

It didn't take long to get settled in and start working on the foundational elements.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Soon, it was time to learn about the Six Steps to Firing the Shot.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Then it was time to learn about Natural Point of Aim.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Before we knew it, we were ready to learn something new, the seated position.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

There was time to work in some history between instruction and practice.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Rounding out the day, we practiced the standing position.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Sunday morning, and it was time to shoot another Redcoat, then move on to a "Calling the Shot" drill.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Sunday morning also gave us a little time for some Instructor Trigger Time.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

One shooter even stopped at the famous Knob Creek store to pick up a little something...

"Yesterday I'd never shot a rifle, today I'm the proud owner of one, with a beautiful engraved stock!"

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

It also didn't take long before we had our first Rifleman.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

After changing out to a new loaner rifle (thanks CarrollMS) and some one-on-one coaching, Ethan went from "Couldn't even hit paper" to "Wow" on the morning sighter target. What an improvement.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

One of the highlights of the event was when Matt (now known as HikerMatt) stepped forward and took an Orange Hat. Welcome Aboard, Matt!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

As a break to the AQT grind, the group was split into three teams, for a little friendly competition. The winning team showed the others what they had learned over the course of the weekend and went home with the highly coveted Appleseed pin.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

All too soon, it was time for the final Redcoat of the day. Again, two of our shooters clearly showed that they "Knew what they were about". Take that, Lord Hugh Percy!

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Using Shoot Boss discretion, a special award went out to Ethan, for most improved over the weekend.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

Understanding that the future of our country lies in the hands of our youth, those who were in attendance were thanked for their participation. And thank goes out to the parents who have invested their time and energy in these fine young shooters.

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

A special thanks goes out to the Knob Creek Gun Range for making your facility available for us to use this weekend. Thanks Gina, Kenny, and everyone else who had a hand in making this outstanding event possible.

God Bless you all!

MI IBC, February 2017

Old Navy Doc

Many thanks to Texas T and HazMatt1 for driving so far to answer the call to spread Liberty. CarrollMS and jimstracn were amazing hosts and helped provide a grand experience. The shooters were one of the best collection of teachable attitudes an instructor could ever pray for. Knob Creek is a beautiful facility, and don't let me near the temptation of the range store for a while!
We had perfect weather, and from the sounds of munitions going off elsewhere, this spot is real popular.
COVID precautions were maintained and didn't interfere at all with the mission and message of Appleseed.
I look forward to returning and working with a these fine people again.
Old Navy Doc
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

Corvette

Looks like a great event.  Huzzah to all that attended as shooters or worked the event.  Keep bailing, the country is worth the efforts.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Coastalheart

Hi everybody!  I just wanted to drop a note of thanks.  Words cannot express how fun and rewarding this event was.  This event was mine and my family's first Appleseed, only my third time shooting, my Dad's first time in 30 years, and my kids have never seen a gun in person.  This was a perfect place for a first timer. l found my daughter(12yrs.) and I have a natural talent and was so impressed with my son's(9yrs.) teachable attitude.  The days were long and jam-packed with information, but Ethan persevered and it really showed at the end of the second day.  It may not have seemed like my girl enjoyed herself but her smile in the pictures tells me otherwise, she just got worn out quick.  I honestly didn't know what to expect.  My friend and co-worker prepared me with supplies and rifles, but nothing could prepare me for the bonding, history, wonderful instruction and sore muscles!  We are hooked!  I want to thank all the instructors.  HazMatt1, jimstracn, Old Navy Doc, made us feel safe and confident that someone was just a step away if anybody needed anything.  Thanks to CarrolMS for recognizing that Ethan needed a shorter more accessible rifle and actually having that on hand.  You kind of made his dreams come true of shooting with the gun that was similar to the one pictured on the box of ammo. lol  His experience definitely improved.  A special thanks to Shoot Boss Texas T for stepping up and coming to Louisville.  For taking an interest in the young shooters and making it such an engaging experience.  And for all the great pictures!  Thanks everyone for driving so far to bring this to us and for your commitment and sacrifice to such a cool organization.  We are already talking and preparing for the next event.  We are on the hunt for our own rifles because we'll need my friend's loaners for all the new people we're bringing out next time.  I told everyone that would listen about our experience and got quite a few people interested.  I can't wait for my next Appleseed (and hopefully my Rifleman's patch!) and hope we cross paths again someday!  Ya'll made a lasting impression on me and my family.

Thanks again,
Heather
First Appleseed: September 19-20, 2020...Knob Creek, Louisville KY

Corvette

Heather,
Thank you for the kind words. Glad you all enjoyed the event. We look forward to seeing all of again soon. Huzzah!

Corvette Ohio SC

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Texas T

Heather, your comments reflect what Appleseed is all about. While it is about teaching marksmanship and educating about our history and heritage, it's also about kindling and igniting the fire that is our hearts. From my first Appleseed, I was hooked. I came back for my second event and decided that I wanted to get more involved. I took the Orange Hat and moved up, trying to do my part.

As I said at the start of our event, we are an all-volunteer organization, and our "paycheck" is seeing the progress and watching the faces of the attendees during, and at the end of, an event. People moving from "I can't even begin to do this" to somewhere beyond. For some, it's the patch. For some, it's coming to the event and never shooting before, then owning your first rifle the next day. We all have things that bring us satisfaction and joy. Seeing those develop at an Appleseed event make it all worthwhile for the instructor team.

Thanks for being willing to bring out your family and trying out "something new". I'm glad that we were able to kindle the fire in your heart.

MI IBC, February 2017

Corvette

Huzzah!! TexasT said it all.  Looking forward to seeing all of you soon at another event.  Corvette