News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Special Operations in the American Revolution

Started by T. WOLF, July 29, 2020, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. WOLF

I saw this book referenced in the History section of the new KD manual (Appendix E, Section 7, Page 73: Ethan Allen and Fort Ticonderoga)

Has anybody read this entire book?  Is it worth the price of admission?

Special Operations in the American Revolution
by Robert L Tonsetic
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

dond

I'm the one who entered it in the manual. It describes a number of different battles and I have read most of them. It has been used it in some of my history presentations. It is definitely worth the price of admission.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

CarrollMS

I take exception on the subscription "the beginning of modern Special Ops." - no, IMHO, Rogers Rangers should get that honor. I'll put this on my read list. Thanks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rogers%27_28_%22Rules_of_Ranging%22
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

dond

Then you will enjoy reading War on the Run by John F. Ross, Mark. I haven't read it myself yet, but I will.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

scuzzy

Let's not forget William Quantrill.

It's said he was brutal. Maybe you had to be there. As they say - history is written by the winners.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

T. WOLF

Quote from: dond on July 30, 2020, 01:07:10 PM
I'm the one who entered it in the manual. It describes a number of different battles and I have read most of them. It has been used it in some of my history presentations. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

Good stuff. 

Adding these to my reading queue.
thanks folks!
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

T. WOLF

PS - the Kindle price managed to drop from $9.99 to $2.99 in the time since I posted this thread.  Just grabbed it right now for three bucks - good deal!

I never did understand how Amazon charges 10-15 dollars for a book that requires no paper, printing, binding or distribution.  Hopefully most of that money goes back to the authors.

Guntuckian

I grabbed a copy for my Kindle, too!  Three bucks is a good deal!  Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

CarrollMS

Quote from: Guntuckian on July 31, 2020, 06:57:55 PM
I grabbed a copy for my Kindle, too!  Three bucks is a good deal!  Thanks!

Same here. Thanks for the alert.
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200

dond

Scuzzy, I am so glad you mentioned Quantrill. I have prepared and given lectures on him based on two books written by Paul R. Petersen. He is a Marine veteran schooled and practiced in guerrilla tactics who discovered that the tactics he used were those used by Quantrill. He even used Black spies who wanted to ride with him, but he considered them too valuable for that. His brutal reputation is based on the Northerner's versions, but the Northerners were actually more brutal than he was. His reputation is richly undeserved. Yes, the winners do write the history, as inaccurate as it may be.

cornhskr

Catch-10-22

Just finished the book last night. Really enjoyed it. Some were stories I read in other book but there were new ones too - I really enjoyed the forage and whale boat wars. Liked the analysis of how these actions reflected current doctrine and operational concepts - you can see real admiration for the some of the most sophisticated leaders and ops.

Interesting to read more about how much Washington loved his Rangers, spies, and militia unconventional warfare. Was a bit surprising to see that consistency after reading about his hot/cold relationship with Daniel Morgan and riflemen in the recent Morgan biography.

Mine was $10 (bought before the discount) but worth it. Thanks for the recommendation!