News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Great Book

Started by alex4922, February 19, 2009, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex4922

I just finished a book titled "Private Yankee Doodle". This book is a journal by a young man who became involved in the Revolutionary War early on.

We have all heard accounts of the hardships that were endured by our citizen soldiers.  I was really astounded by the level of misery these men and women delt with on a day to day basis.

The editor of this book did a great job of providing enough footnotes to help the reader understand what might not be readily understood in modern times without becomming tedious.

The author is Joseph Plumb Martin. I found one copy still available on Amazon used for less than $2.

Alex
"A free society requires order, and order depends on restraint: yet it seems that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.'

SeanO

Hi, Alex

I'm glad you enjoyed J. P. Martin's story.  It's incredible what he and his mates went through so that we could have the freedom we enjoy.  I'm sorry to say that there are too few people who would hang in for almost the entire 8 years of the war the way he did.  He sounded like a regular guy, someone who it would be fun to know.

As you know, he was originally from Connecticut, but wound up in Maine about 20 miles from where I live.  A friend and I are going to Prospect, ME in the spring to find his grave, put a flag on it and thank God for his life and service.

Best, Sean O'
If you can't find a way, make one.

alex4922

Sean, thanks for the reply. It is really incredible the hardships our brothers have endured in the wars for America. I think most people who read these accounts feel that they could never stand up to these conditions. Many authors say that most soldiers are young men without any conception of what they are getting into and simply fight for their survival and for the men of their unit. I guess there is a lot of truth in that.

The real goal, as I see it, for the RWVA is to educate Americans on the rights they were given by their God, the rights established in the Constitution by the founders and their ABSOLUTE DUTY to protect those rights "From all enemies, foreign and domestic".

FWIW...Alex
"A free society requires order, and order depends on restraint: yet it seems that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.'

CaptG

Two more really good reads that I've recently finished:
The Day The American Revolution Began, William H. Hallahan and  The Minute Men  The First Fight: Myths And Realities Of The American Revolution, John R. Galvin.
The second goes into the origins of the Minute Man, back to the original Plymouth Colony & Mass. Bay Co. Galvin is a USMA Alum & former NATO Cmdr.
Both were really good.
G
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill